Falmouth?

m steve

Falmouth is about 20 miles E of Montego Bay. It is reported to be a well preserved late 18th early 19th century town with well preserved Georgian buildings including the biggest Protestant church in Jamaica and several 'grand' town houses It was once Jamaica's principal sugar and rum export port and a very wealthy, a well laid out town which now has several conservation groups working in it.

Questionable though is when will the port will be completed. Royal Caribbean has delayed plans to stop there until into 2011 since construction may not be finished this year then.

Sadly a major cruise ship dock with ships like 'Oasis' disgorgeing thousands of passengers directly into the town may well overwhelm it.

When in 2011 is royal sending ships? We are on the Voyager in March which states Montego Bay. But when we booked it stated ships next spring would be visiting Falmouth instead of Montego bay. Just wondering if the date has been moved back.

• 2 months later...
When in 2011 is royal sending ships? We are on the Voyager in March which states Montego Bay. But when we booked it stated ships next spring would be visiting Falmouth instead of Montego bay. Just wondering if the date has been moved back.

Last I heard it was Jan of 2011 the first ship would port in Falmouth.

We're supposed to dock there on Oct. 20 (Ryndam). I didn't know that the port was so new. Perhaps we will be able to go there as our ship is much smaller than some of the other ones under Carnival's umbrella.

I had emailed Mark Morris (tour guide) to see if he was going to run tours out of Falmouth. He says the port won't be ready in time for our October cruise. If that is true, I wonder when HAL will let us know what the new destination is (assuming it doesn't just become a sea day). We've never been to Jamaica, so I was sort of looking forward to stopping there, and the thought of a new port was intriguing.

I hope we do get a stop somewhere, and it would be even better if it was somewhere I haven't been or would enjoy seeing again.

• 2 weeks later...

Our January 10th cruise on the Navigator OTS is scheduled to dock at Falmouth. I hope we do get there. The beaches on that coast look awesome. If we get there we will take a taxi to a beach resort and enjoy the day.

I received an answer from HAL on the Falmouth question...or maybe answer is too strong, let's call it a response:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding your upcoming October 17, 2010 cruise on the ms Ryndam. We are unable to advise you of where the ship will dock on October 20, 2010 in Falmouth, Jamaica at this time. We are still in the process of confirming this information. We apologize for any incovenience this may cause.

When we have confirmed where the ship will dock we will let you know by email reply to xx@x.com.

Holland America is looking forward to welcoming you onboard in October. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

So we are booked on a small cruise ship - the Oasis - set to hit Falmouth in July of 2011 for our next cruise. Nothing I have read so far sounds very positive at all. They are going to have to be very busy too even have the port open, let alone have anything for thousands of cruisers to do, unless they just shuttle them to the other busy cities.

Of course staying on the ship on a port day does have some pretty decent specials.....

Subscribed and watching the thread.:rolleyes:

I will be on the Allure of the Seas in September of 2011 and we are slated to visit Falmouth too. I've been doing a lot of research which is rather difficult given the fact the port has yet to open, but nothing I've seen or heard has made me very excited to visit. I'd much rather go to Roatan or even Ocho Rios... but I wanted a trip on the Allure, so I'll go to Falmouth if that's where it goes.

Hopefully it'll be fixed up enough to offer some fun shore excursions, decent shopping, or.... something.

I'll be keeping an eye here to see if anyone sailing later this year or early next year has some positive reviews! Otherwise I'm with the prior poster who mentioned the deals on board the ship on port days. ;)

Archived