What do you do when you first board?

For some of us, mid-day is about when we feed.

Why would you board a ship and beeline for a pool?

I havent cruised before. But I am a water baby and I know I will be eyeing that pool the moment I walk on board. I usually do back packing trips and stay in hostels so the thaught of a pool at my fingertips is so appealing first thing. I plan to fly in the day before and stay right at the harbor so will be all refreshed and ready to go. I will make sure to eat before I board or right when I board. I plan to get thier early so I can start my vaca right away. I will probly end up taking a quick dip in the pool then go off and explore the ship getting to know it and then putting my things in my room after the room is open.

Adri :)

That is our feeling as well. The Windjammer is a disgusting mess the first day. People are usually rude and they cannot wait to fill up plates upon plates of food.

###

And the other issue is that they claim seats and won't move to allow other pax seats for lunch.

They use the WJ as a "holding area" until cabins are available.

Chairhogging at its worst.:(

Maybe they keep filling those plates up so that they can give the impression that they are still eating and won't be asked to vacate?

We head to the Windjammer and find a nice table near a window then one of us sits at the table to order our ice teas and the other one (whoever lost the flip of the coin :p) heads to the buffet line to fill up two dishes for our lunch. We find that because it is still early the food is fresh, hot and not picked over. We usually sit there for a couple of hours enjoying lunch then a cup of coffee and fresh pastries.

There are pool chair hogs and there are Windjammer chair hogs!;)

It has been my experience that the Windjammer opens at Noon. We usually wait until it opens and grab a quick bite there. After that we head to the dining room to check on our table location so that we don't need to wait in line to be seated for dinner. Usually, by that time, it's 1:00 and the cabins are ready.... time to drop off our carry-ons. Depending on the ship and whether or not we've cruised her before, we may then explore the decks and various venues. We're usually on our balcony for sailaway.

The Voyager of the Seas's Windjammer has always been open on the day embarkatation before noon.

The first thing we do is purchase the beverage package for DH and DS. Then we will go to the Windjammer to find a window seat and have lunch. After lunch we walk around the ship and then change into our suits and go to the pool.:)

We always make sure we know when the raffle takes place. In the past, we have won massages and facials also won a drink of the day when the bartenders were putting on a precruise show in the centrium.

How do you get tickets? On Princess they were giving them out for dancing is it the same?

We try to get there early so we can board before. We buy soda package, check out MDR table, eat at WJ then explore. If rooms are open we go there asap to get rid of carry ons.

How do you get tickets? On Princess they were giving them out for dancing is it the same?

It wasn't until our 4th RCI cruise that we realized/noticed that they hold a cruise expo in the promenade area at about 2pm until sailaway. You can sample food from the specialty restaurants, play trivia/scavenger hunt games, and enter raffles. Friends of our won a free spa treatment, and a free excursion on CocoCay.

The first thing my fiancee and I do when we board is take a deep breath! Secondly, we get a drink. Or five....

We have a tradition with the muster drills where we sport the life jacket and take a goofy picture...we call it our "DRUNKEN MUSTER" shot.

We usually like to watch the sunset with a cocktail on the first night too.

why does everyone feel the need to eat as their 1st cruise experience????

Some people have been up VERY early and traveling for most of the morning...so by lunch time, I'm thinking they might be a little hungry.....??? I don't know....just a guess! ;)

Really? I was on the Indy in August and we had to wear them for muster. Or is it just in the U.S. where lifejackets aren't required?

We were on the Carnival Fantasy (Indy is next) out of New Orleans last September and we still had to do the traditional life jacket wearing. But it seems soon there after, the entire cruise industry changed to NO lifejackets, just report to station.

Mitch

We are on RCI for the first time in June and plan to board as early as possible. I would love to know your top tips of what to do when you first board.

In addition, what time does the Promenade cafe and WJ open on embarkation day?

Forget that the rest of the world exists, head to the windjammer and put myself in a mood where nothing bothers me.

We have got on as early as 11:30am and both the promenade and the windjammer were open.

We try to get to the windjammer first and eat before it gets real busy. Then we go down to the promenade and mill around until 1pm. We then go to the room, drop off the carry-ons, change and head to the gym. Usually it is empty. After that, we go clean up and get ready for the sail a way.

Good one, but as a non-Floridian, we hit the pool right away.

We are on RCI for the first time in June and plan to board as early as possible. I would love to know your top tips of what to do when you first board.

In addition, what time does the Promenade cafe and WJ open on embarkation day?

We usually eat at the Windjammer, and then we go to our cabin, unpack and afterwards we go check out the ship.

Understandable.

Being the good Floridians that we are, we have access to the pool anytime :D

Earlier today, the pool was at 90 degrees

Understandable. Usually when we cruise in April or May, its well before pool season and we haven't seen the sun in months, we can't get enough.

Archived