TruTravel Insurance Super Saver- Has anybody used it??

Liesel

Hi,

We have booked a New England/Canada cruise with Princess for September 17th for 10 nights.

We thought we would not use the cruise line's protection plan. We have been checking insurance policies and have found that TruTravel Insurance Super Saver seems to offer a lot for the money for our needs.

I cannot find that anybody on this site has actually used this particular insurance company. It seems cheaper than TravelGuard Gold in comparison.

I called "insure my trip.com" and they give it an A+ rating, but they are not allowed to recommend.

We have to make our decision soon since I already paid the down payment to Princess on 5/4/10.

I would love to hear any comments.

I don't think you are really comparing Apples to Oranges here. The "normal" TravelGuard Plan is ProtectAssist Gold, which is vaguely similar to the TruTravel First Class, not the SuperSaver.

Now, if you are comparing the Super Saver to TG ProtectAssist Essential, it does appear that the TruTravel is a better deal.

Certainly if the coverages and exclusions of the TruTravel SuperSaver are acceptable to you (read the whole policy before buying!) then by all means purchase it. But make sure you know what you are buying first.

SirWired

• 5 months later...

We had to cancel a Med cruise for November because my DH had emergency surgery in September and his surgeon didn't want him to make a transatlantic flight that soon. We always buy travel insurance but this is the first time we've used TruTravel (first time we've ever had to make a claim...thank goodness!). I'm happy to report that the claim process was easy; just downloaded the forms, instructions were clear and we received a check within two weeks. We've scheduled another cruise and are using them again.

• 5 months later...
We had to cancel a Med cruise for November because my DH had emergency surgery in September and his surgeon didn't want him to make a transatlantic flight that soon. We always buy travel insurance but this is the first time we've used TruTravel (first time we've ever had to make a claim...thank goodness!). I'm happy to report that the claim process was easy; just downloaded the forms, instructions were clear and we received a check within two weeks. We've scheduled another cruise and are using them again.

Although this was a while ago, we are strongly considering this company for our upcoming month long trip which included two cruises and more than a week of land travel so was very happy to read the above review. Anyone else have an experience with Trutravel trip insurance?

I called "insure my trip.com" and they give it an A+ rating, .

Just be sure you know what that A+ really means. First of all, insuremytrip does not give any ratings. In fact, no travel insurance plan is rated by anybody.

What they're referring to is the AM Best rating for the plan's underwriter which in this case is Nationwide which also underwrites several other plans. The A+ means that Nationwide has the financial resources to meet any valid claims presented to them.

That's good to know but it does not have anything to do with the plan's features or benefits, their claims-paying history, or their general level of customer service.

That being said, I've never heard anything bad about them.

• 3 weeks later...

We used TruTravel Super Saver on our Mediterranean Cruise last year. We insured for the absolute minimum cost. We didn't include the cost of port charges, taxes, flights, or hotels. They paid a claim for trip delay when our outbound flight was delayed 24 hours (and we didn't insure the cost of the flight). No problems, it was a very smooth process. The total cost for two people was only $67, but the benefits listed below are per person. There are better plans, but most were 2-3X more expensive. I would definitely use them again.

Plan Name Super Saver !

Plan Terms Full Details

Plan Type Package

Total Policy Cost $67.00

Available to Travelers from U.S.

Trip Cancellation $840

Trip Interruption $840

Financial Default Not Available !

Terrorism in Itinerary City Not Available !

Cancel For Any Reason Not Available

Travel Baggage $600, 2

Travel Baggage Delay 12+ hours $100 max.

Travel Delay 6+ hours $200/day; $600 max.

Medical $10,000 ($50 ded.), 2

Dental $750 Incl. in Medical, 2

Emergency Medical Evacuation $1,000,000

24-Hour Emergency Assistance Yes

Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver Not Available !

Pre-Existing Condition Period 60 Days

Insurance Company Nationwide

A.M. Best Rating A+

Refund Policy 10 Day Review Period

Rental Car Collision/Loss (per policy) $0

Accidental Death - 24-Hour Not Available

Accidental Death - Common Carrier Not Available

Accidental Death - Flight Flight Option, $0

I would not personally go to the Med with only $10,000 medical coverage but that's just my idiosyncracies. I would go to Canada with it though.

Just remember that there is no pre-existing waiver on this policy so make sure you do not have any or it won't be covered.

patseacruiser,

We are already covered for medical insurance through my health provider, so medical insurance was a non-issue for us. TruTravel did have an option to increase the medical coverage for an extra $25 or so, for people who need that.

Since we waited a while before buying insurance, we were not covered for pre-existing conditions. But we didn't have any pre-existing conditions, so again, that was a non-issue for us. But people who buy TruTravel Super saver within two weeks or so, after after paying the cruise deposit would be covered for pre-existing conditions, as well as financial default.

Everybody has different needs, and some people may be wise to choose more coverage, but this was a very good fit for our needs.

• 7 years later...
Hi,

We have booked a New England/Canada cruise with Princess for September 17th for 10 nights.

We thought we would not use the cruise line's protection plan. We have been checking insurance policies and have found that TruTravel Insurance Super Saver seems to offer a lot for the money for our needs.

I cannot find that anybody on this site has actually used this particular insurance company. It seems cheaper than TravelGuard Gold in comparison.

I called "insure my trip.com" and they give it an A+ rating, but they are not allowed to recommend.

We have to make our decision soon since I already paid the down payment to Princess on 5/4/10.

I would love to hear any comments.

Do not use Tru Travel. "They are a nightmare to deal with .

Do not use Tru Travel. "They are a nightmare to deal with .

You're bringing up and commenting on an 8 year old thread.

I would think that your better option would be to start a new thread which relevancy might be more up to date.