Lap Top

pmc059

We are going on Freedom in June, does anyone know if the cabins have WIFI? In other words, can we use our lap top and air card and get service? Is there an extra charge, if we are using our air card? Asking for my DH. Thanks,:confused:

I used to have an AT&T air card, and tried to use it aboard a cruise. It simply didn't work when at sea? WIFI is available aboard ship, but I don't know if "Freedom" has it available in the cabins. WIFI aboard ship is VERY expensive, so be cautious. They do offer package deals, but it's still expensive IMO.

Sorry about offering up news that you probably don't want to hear. If I'm in error with this info, I'm sure someone will correct me. ;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

"SKY"

Hi, Yes, Freedom has wifi available in the cabins. No, not free. There is a connection charge and a per minute charge. You can also buy bundles of minutes at a discounted rate. I used my iphone and the internet cafe for emails. The speed is not very fast but works great for email. Enjoy your cruise.

We bring a laptop and always buy the package. We just got off the Dream and the prices actually went down a little for package internet. We always get an aft cabin and depending on where the signal comes from in the ship, we get good reception. This is getting better all the time and the last 3 cruises we were on we had a great signal even in the back.

The pay per minute is outrageous (like.75/minute) They had a 30 minute I believe but I don't remember the prices. I do remember the bigger packages. 100 minutes was $59.00, 240 minutes (which we get) was $89.00 (that is down from $100 on previous cruises). they also had a new package 480 minutes for $159.00. They run deals throughout the cruise to get extra minutes - they have a standard 30 minutes free if you buy a package the day you get on the ship. They run many (log on between 9am-11am and get half you minutes used back, etc) They are good about crediting your minutes if you can't log off for some reason or the service is very bad at a certain time. I can tell you we have hughes.net DSL at home (that is the only gig in town) for us and the worst access ever with upload spend of 32/kbs. On the ship I was getting upload speeds of 800/kbs which is great for us. If you have roadrunner, you will notice it is slower, but we thought it was fast and much improved over the past upload/download speeds. In fact, I uploaded many pictures on the ship and it worked great. You just have to make sure you log off special with the http://1.1.1.1 to stop you minute once you get off (You can turn your computer off and still rundown you minutes so you have to be careful) 240 minutes lasted us 7 days and I used it quite a bit and we even online the last night (using up some minutes) Hope this helps

Hi, Yes, Freedom has wifi available in the cabins. No, not free. There is a connection charge and a per minute charge. You can also buy bundles of minutes at a discounted rate. I used my iphone and the internet cafe for emails. The speed is not very fast but works great for email. Enjoy your cruise.

What were the charges you received from AT&T??

What were the charges you received from AT&T??

Cellular service is provided by Cellular At Sea

http://www.cellularatsea.com/

There is very limited data service available but judging by the $2.49/minute charge for voice I suspect it's quite expensive:

Data Service

If your home carrier supports GPRS data service, you can use WMS with compatible GPRS data capable devices to check email, surf the web, and share photos while traveling just as you would at home. Charges will be conveniently billed to you by your home carrier.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/guest_services.htm

Archived