Costa did allow removal of service charge

bts378

the euro will only cost you 1.30 or less. the cost of our tips on our 11 day cruise on the costa atlantica was only 6 euros a day which converted into $90 canadian per person which is very reasonable. less than 6 months ago the euro was worth 1.65

the euro will only cost you 1.30 or less. the cost of our tips on our 11 day cruise on the costa atlantica was only 6 euros a day which converted into $90 canadian per person which is very reasonable. less than 6 months ago the euro was worth 1.65

My email from Costa Cruise line stated 5 euros a day. But they did note on my email subject to change without notice. But even at 6 euros

it is quite reasonable. Now would be a good time for me to buy. I was quoted 1.3452 on Monday's close. One can not complain on that.

Australian Government law requires that air and travel prices are quoted as a single price inclusive of all compulsory charges.

So this stops the nonsense of travel operators quoting a price and then saying + Govt fees and charges etc . So cruise prices quoted and sold in Australia must include port charges, any fuel levies, and any compulsory on board charges (such as tipping daily fees).

I have booked most of our 13 cruises with Aussie T/A's (the rest direct with cruise line)and NEVER had the autotips included in the selling price. The tipping is between you and the cruise line and in my humble opinion dependent on your being satisfied with service given. We are on two cruises next year Star Princess and Costa Atlantica, I have fully paid up on both, neither included the tips. I booked Costa Atlantica directly on Costa site, cruise fare plus port charges etc only - no tips added.

We have just completed a 7 day cruise with Costa.

The Service charge was 7 euro a day per adult and was told children were not charged unlike RCCL.

For the service we recieved, I do not think this was over the top.

As the ship is now an Italian, based company, and you are travelling in the EU I do not think you can opted out of these charges.

Why do you want to?

The staff gave excellent service and were more scared of a bad report as they could be fined or dismissed.

Would you ask for the 15% drink grats to be removed because the service was slow?

Talking of drinks consider the X1 or J2 Packages.

G

Edited by GEORGET

I've often heard of crew getting envelopes with $40 in them and some have said even empty ones.

At least with automatic tips the crew in the Buffet and kitchen get a share.

NCL charged us $10 or 12 per day which is pretty high.

It seems that many lines find it hard to recruit crew in Europe unless there is the automatic tipping in place.

I agree that the crew put alot of importance on the report - a good one gives them better rosters, shore leave, promotion and renewal of contracts.

I may be cynical, but I think many of those who do remove the automatic tip actually do so to be able to fork out less.

Cruiselines spend hundreds of millions building ships and then expect passengers to boost low paid workers pay by forcing auto tips regardless of service recieved!!

Lets assume 2000 adults are charged 50 euros each for a 7 day cruise,Raising a cool 100,000 to be shared amongst the crew.Assuming every single crew member receives an equal share and there are 1000 crew members,Each person receives 100 euros in tips..Whilst i agree its a handy payment ..Why should it fall on hard pressed passengers who are being fleeced left right and centre!!

Cruiselines spend hundreds of millions building ships and then expect passengers to boost low paid workers pay by forcing auto tips regardless of service recieved!!

Lets assume 2000 adults are charged 50 euros each for a 7 day cruise,Raising a cool 100,000 to be shared amongst the crew.Assuming every single crew member receives an equal share and there are 1000 crew members,Each person receives 100 euros in tips..Whilst i agree its a handy payment ..Why should it fall on hard pressed passengers who are being fleeced left right and centre!!

Good point.

Following your argument the Steward would only get 100 euros a week tips for working 7 days, 12 hour shifts, not bad on top of his basic crap wage.

They work hard and long hours and deserve all they can get.

I am glad that the tips are compulary but believe they should be included in the cabin price.

Then nobody would argue.

G

nobody who is able to afford a cruise should ever be considered hardpressed. how dramatic.

There are many cheap deals available allowing many to experience life on the ocean wave....Sadlly these very same people are clobbered by expensive drinks/auto tips/and other extras.....Cruiselines who insist passengers on board account must be served via their credit card is very sneaky...No doubt many fall into the trap and spend what they cannot afford!

Are you a cruise snob?

Following your argument the Steward would only get 100 euros a week tips for working 7 days, 12 hour shifts, not bad on top of his basic crap wage.

They work hard and long hours and deserve all they can get.

I am glad that the tips are compulary but believe they should be included in the cabin price.

Then nobody would argue.

G

Bottom line being

The crew see the world and are fed and watered...They could well be poorly paid BUT are not forced into the job...The days of slavery are long gone.

Agreed regarding your other comment.

Not all the crew are in the tipping pool, certainly not the officers, deckhands, engineers, entertainment staff, security officers, medics, tour staff, photographers, etc.

It is generally the service staff, ones you see, cabin stewards, waiters, bar staff etc. and the ones you don't see, cooks, dishwashers, laundry workers etc, these are included in the tipping pool.

Edited by NSWP

Not all the crew are in the tipping pool, certainly not the officers, deckhands, engineers, entertainment staff, security officers, medics, tour staff, photographers, etc.

It is generally the service staff, ones you see, cabin stewards, waiters, bar staff etc. and the ones you don't see, cooks, dishwashers, laundry workers etc, these are included in the tipping pool.

I don't think the bar staff are included - at least this way the staff in the buffet get some tips. I always feel sorry for them as I am sure no one ever tips them.

I do hope everyone who is in favour of incorporating the tips in the fare do realise that the fares will increase

I don't think the bar staff are included - at least this way the staff in the buffet get some tips. I always feel sorry for them as I am sure no one ever tips them.

I do hope everyone who is in favour of incorporating the tips in the fare do realise that the fares will increase

If lines offered the complete package...Nobody could ever moan?

Tips included

Amenities included

Maybe even an open bar for those willing to pay

In truth once on board the passengers are nothing more than cash cows being fleeced at every turn.

nobody who is able to afford a cruise should ever be considered hardpressed. how dramatic.

How presumptuous to make a statement like that. There are plenty of people out there that save for years for their one and only cruise, and that money is hard earned. To suggest that people are loaded and can afford all the extra things like tips is ignorant. I don't know where you live but where I come from tipping is not customary. There are plenty of people that book a cruise and take an inside cabin - 4 berth, only eat in the dining room, don't go on tours, are strapped for cash, and then have to pay up for tips. Everybody has different circumstances and to presume that if you cruise you can afford all the other bits is just plain dumb.

Why is everyone fixated on this tipping crap. It is only relevant to countries that pay their service personnel low wages. It is a service industry and that is what they are paid to do. We have prepaid our gratuities as that is part of the price that is quoted, and I have no hesitation in tipping for extra good service, but it would have to be exceptional.

Yes the staff work hard and long hours and their contracts are long, but that is a matter for the cruise line not for Paying Customers.

How presumptuous to make a statement like that. There are plenty of people out there that save for years for their one and only cruise, and that money is hard earned. To suggest that people are loaded and can afford all the extra things like tips is ignorant. I don't know where you live but where I come from tipping is not customary. There are plenty of people that book a cruise and take an inside cabin - 4 berth, only eat in the dining room, don't go on tours, are strapped for cash, and then have to pay up for tips. Everybody has different circumstances and to presume that if you cruise you can afford all the other bits is just plain dumb.

Why is everyone fixated on this tipping crap. It is only relevant to countries that pay their service personnel low wages. It is a service industry and that is what they are paid to do. We have prepaid our gratuities as that is part of the price that is quoted, and I have no hesitation in tipping for extra good service, but it would have to be exceptional.

Yes the staff work hard and long hours and their contracts are long, but that is a matter for the cruise line not for Paying Customers.

I support those comments ! That is why I call the auto tip - AUTOMATIC WAGE SUBSIDY for that is what it is !

Edited by NSWP

If lines offered the complete package...Nobody could ever moan?

Tips included

Amenities included

Maybe even an open bar for those willing to pay

In truth once on board the passengers are nothing more than cash cows being fleeced at every turn.

Agree, but then they would look expensive compared to other lines.

Lets hope they all do it.

In the UK we have an airline that quote £1 flights, but after you add taxes, charges ,baggage, ticket fee, and credit card charges to book on line, etc,it can be £75 +. They have also thought of charging a £1 to use the loo.

I hope cruise lines dont follow this trend.

I support those comments ! That is why I call the auto tip - AUTOMATIC WAGE SUBSIDY for that is what it is !

Agreed

Myself and the mrs were both gobsmacked to discover our daily combined auto tip was 14 euros..Nearly 14 quid per day!!......Daylight robbery for passengers imo.....Add other factors such as onboard amenities were all extra fees,very expensive drinks to boot meaning the initial fare soon becomes a distant memory and could easily double by the end of the cruise!

For the life of me i simply cannot understand why many passengers gladly pay the auto tips or happily boast on this forum regarding their payment.

Giving my money away is not one of my greatest pleasures at all!!

Agreed

Myself and the mrs were both gobsmacked to discover our daily combined auto tip was 14 euros..Nearly 14 quid per day!!......Daylight robbery for passengers imo.....Add other factors such as onboard amenities were all extra fees,very expensive drinks to boot meaning the initial fare soon becomes a distant memory and could easily double by the end of the cruise!

For the life of me i simply cannot understand why many passengers gladly pay the auto tips or happily boast on this forum regarding their payment.

Giving my money away is not one of my greatest pleasures at all!!

stay home then. you obvoiusly have a staff of unpaid servants to take good care of you there.

Lots of comments on tipping. This is what our waiter told us, if you do not fill your comment card out with everything excellent (food and service), they would not receive the full tip. Seems very unlikely that everyone they wait on will say everything was excellent (in addition, if they do not receive a high average they receive nothing - I wonder where that money goes?). Just make sure you tip those who assist you directly.

I have no problem tipping the required amount into the Automatic Wage Subsidy Fund if service/food meets my expectations. But what I don't like either as stated by 'cruisesomeday' is the waiters/stewards telling me to write excellent on the staff comment cards when it might not be excellent. I like to wait until the end of the voyage and then decide on the amount I will tip, as I said dependent on the service received. I mean if you dine in a restaurant do you tip for bad food/service, just because you are in a restaurant? I don't, cruising should be no different.

Crikey, if I had taken tips in my previous vocation I would be in gaol now instead of cruising ! I rest my case your Worship.

Edited by NSWP

Lots of comments on tipping. This is what our waiter told us, if you do not fill your comment card out with everything excellent (food and service), they would not receive the full tip. Seems very unlikely that everyone they wait on will say everything was excellent (in addition, if they do not receive a high average they receive nothing - I wonder where that money goes?). Just make sure you tip those who assist you directly.

Hmm, I have never filled out a comment card, couldn't be bothered as it makes no difference in the long run. It is a subjective thing anyway. So what happens then? No comment card, no tips at all???? That hardly seems fair

I travelled on the Classica last year and as an Australian had the tips automatically added to the cruise payment and was paid before the cruise actually began.

I tipped (in cash) at the early stages of the cruise and again at the end. As well as the automatic tip that was paid with the cruise tickets.

Why? To ensure that the service on board was good. It was more than good it was spectacular! In this case I got what I paid for extra special attention in the cabin and dining room and at the main bar. Nothing was ever too much trouble for either the waiter, the assistant waiter, the room attendant and the main bar. For me it was more than worth the extra cost and I just factored it into the cost of going on holiday.

Booked on the Romantic later this year and I fully intend to do the same. For me it is well worth the added cost to ensure that drinks arrive on time, the room is always perfect, the food order is correct and that if required specials in the restaurant are accommodated.

I am always happy to tip to ensure that service is great.

I travelled on the Classica last year and as an Australian had the tips automatically added to the cruise payment and was paid before the cruise actually began.

I tipped (in cash) at the early stages of the cruise and again at the end. As well as the automatic tip that was paid with the cruise tickets.

Why? To ensure that the service on board was good. It was more than good it was spectacular! In this case I got what I paid for extra special attention in the cabin and dining room and at the main bar. Nothing was ever too much trouble for either the waiter, the assistant waiter, the room attendant and the main bar. For me it was more than worth the extra cost and I just factored it into the cost of going on holiday.

Booked on the Romantic later this year and I fully intend to do the same. For me it is well worth the added cost to ensure that drinks arrive on time, the room is always perfect, the food order is correct and that if required specials in the restaurant are accommodated.

We have never removed the auto tip - but we feel that that is sufficient and don't tip further.

We have always had excellent service both in the cabin and in the dining room. I honestly don't think there could have been any improvement if we had paid extra tips up front. Apart from the fact that some crew might feel it is bribery and I know of some who wouldn't accept anything in advance

great idea, i would normally tip if i get fantastic service, but i may just tip to get fantastic service (over and above what we have already prepaid)