1A upgrade on Paradise, 5 months out....

Sierra2

If you purchase an Early Saver Solo 1A now. Will you probably be upgraded out of the upper/lower thing? My friend cannot sleep in the upper/lower, so would have to be upgraded, or have the opportunity to pay for the upgrade later. (Paradise 10/18)

If you purchase an Early Saver Solo 1A now. Will you probably be upgraded out of the upper/lower thing? My friend cannot sleep in the upper/lower, so would have to be upgraded, or have the opportunity to pay for the upgrade later. (Paradise 10/18)
ive never even been contacted about an upgrade possibility when Ive booked a 1a under early saver...you might have to get that ball rolling and ask them yourself.

She's a solo traveler too, and the ES price is almost $700 just for her to ensure it's not a bunk.

I'm horrified, as I've taken this cruise a few times, and never paid over $200 each (though I've been flexible on my dates).

I don't know how many 1A's there are on the Paradise.....I know on the Spirit class ships, there are only 5. I booked E.S. this past Dec. for the Miracle cruise in 1-11.....a few weeks after I booked, I received an e-mail from Carnival, that they needed my cabin for storage, and I was upgraded, at no additional cost, to a 4A. I am traveling solo, so for me a 1A was fine, as well as affordable. To the O.P., don't know if this is common practice or not....could be a possibility?????

If she booked a 1A and chose her cabin, chances are very slim for an upgrade. However, if she booked a 1A gty, chances are better. Both times I did a 1A gty, I got a 4A or 4B cabin. EM

If she is a solo, what is wrong with a 1A? The top "bunk" will not be lowered. (If there are 2 people, the upper bed is lowered from the wall. It's not a true "bunk" bed...that's why it's called upper/lower.) So the room will just have one single bed in it. There is no "bunk." Some 1As have the couch that turns into a bed. If she gets one of these rooms, then the couch just stays a couch.

And never book a room hoping for an upgrade. Book the room you want. I have never received an upgrade/upsell call. You never know when they are going to call for one of those....

I suspect I know why...but dont want to judge anyone..

Well,, I will say it...They booked five into a quad cabin to save money on the 3/4/5 person, and booked grandma into a 1A. Expect to shift #5 into Grandma's cabin, but #5 can't handle an upper...Little fraud going on here...You play, you pay. EM

Well,, I will say it...They booked five into a quad cabin to save money on the 3/4/5 person, and booked grandma into a 1A. Expect to shift #5 into Grandma's cabin, but #5 can't handle an upper...Little fraud going on here...You play, you pay. EM

Wow...I never even thought of anything like this.... :eek:

Wow! That's quite a leap to fraud! Do people really work that hard to save a buck? I can't even think that way, much less my good friend.

It was really a simple question about 1A's and the opportunity to upgrade (for a price) later, ensuring her a spot on the ship now, and the flexibility to get a nicer room later.

Not that the criminial minds deserve an explanation, but she is meeting a larger group for a reunion, hence, traveling solo and doesn't think she'd be comfortable in a twin.

I just booked an early saver rate...first one so I'm not completely familiar with the ins and outs of it...but don't all early saver rates involve picking a room? If yes, I would say the odds of an upgrade are slim to none. I haven't read many stories of people being switched from the room they picked unless Carnival ends up needing it for one reason or another.

If she really thinks a twin will be an issue, the best thing to do is to book another cabin.

Why not just book the cabin she wants now? The deposit is the same. That way there's no stress later. By the way, there are some 1As that have a double bed. You need to ask whoever you book with about the set up for a particular cabin.

thanks Traveler and TortieGal, I will advise her NOT to book the ES, as she would have to select the room and instead have her book the GTY, where there is a better chance of an upgrade since Paradise has so few 1A's (now knowing the bunk is really just a twin, it could work-she thought it was smaller than a twin.)

Under Early Saver, If the rate for a Category above your Cat1A Category (like a 4A or a 4B) drops below your Cat 1A rate, then you can get the upgrade and credit/OBC for the difference in the drop. ken

Archived