To Upgrade or not to up grade that is the question?

Flyguy35

We are sailing on the Island Princess on Dec 5 for the full transit of the Panama Canal. We booked an AD GTY as it was a mini suite and I was given the impression that all the balconies for the mini-suites were much bigger than a balcony in a regular cabin. Yesterday, I was told by my TA that I had been upgraded to an AA mini-suite and she was excited saying this was the best mini suite there are. She said that we were already given our cabin assignment and it is C503. I thought this was great until I viewed some information that show the balcony is small only 3 x 8 verus 6 x 8. When I called my TA back to advise that I did not want the upgrade, she was shocked stated that I would be giving up the best mini-suite. Other than the deck location, what makes this the best mini-suite? We are traveling with my parents and would love to sit on the balcony as we transits the Canal with them and possiblely have dinner in the balcony as well.

If in my shoes, what would you do? Also, other than location, what makes the AA mini-suite better than an AD mini-suite.

Thanks for your input.

Duane

Just a fyi; but I doubt that you will be sitting on the balcony as it is very hot and humid during the transit. Most folks move around a lot getting different vantage points to view; but it was so hot 95+ in February that we did not dine outside.

Mike:)

Just a fyi; but I doubt that you will be sitting on the balcony as it is very hot and humid during the transit. Most folks move around a lot getting different vantage points to view; but it was so hot 95+ in February that we did not dine outside.

Mike:)

Thanks. I will check to see what the temperatures are like in Dec.

Duane

We have stayed in several minisuites. AA, AB, AD They were all the same I believe the only difference is where the room is positioned on the ship. The AA's are central less rocking supposedly closer to elevators. I did not notice any difference with movement in any of the rooms we stayed in

we are also booked ad mini gty for our alaska cruise in june--first time trying this gty business, but from what i understand, you have to be willing to take ad or better--that's the gty part of the booking--kkeep checking with this board for what your choices are; these posters really understand the gty idea very well; but i think they explained to me that to get the cheaper gty rate, you have to be willig to take ad (in your and my case) or better--we will see what everyone else says--good luck with the decision-grams98

As you found out viewing your cabin assignment, not ALL mini suites have the larger balcony. Most do, but there are a few exceptions. C503 is in center bump out section of the Island and does not not have the larger balcony. The difference between AA and AD is one of price and what is suppose to be a better location (more central and higher on the ship for the AA category) but that's not always true as better only falls in the eyes of the beholder;) When one books a guarentee they are accepting the fact that you will recieve a cabin assignment on the category that you booked or higher which is what has been done for you. There are very few AD category mini suites on the Island so if one books a guarentee in that category there is a really good chance that is not the category your cabin will end up being in.

From your TA's point of view the cabin is a AA category and is located in the center of ship so I understand why the TA feels this was a good upgrade from your AD gaurentee booking but since you picked the mini suite category because of the larger balcony its not fitting what you wished. The location is wonderful and it is nice to have one of the bumpout cabins as we've had B501 before which on another floor is right beside the cabin you've been assigned.

You may be able to ask your TA to have you put back into the AG guarentee pool although ultimately please understand you may still be given a cabin that doesn't fit what you wish for this same or other reasons. For your next cruise you may be better off booking a specific cabin and have it marked no upgrade to be sure you do get the cabin that makes you the happiest.

We spent lots of time out on our balcony on our partial transit of the canal in Feb of 2009 and plan to spend lots more time on our balcony on our full transit in 2011. Good Luck!

If I remember correctly, we had cabin #s D-507 & D-509 and had the larger balconies. Loved them and the location.

I would not opt for the corner mini-suites because the balcony is small. Only advantage is that it is mostly covered whereas many of the other mini-suites are uncovered (our favorite type). If you don't like the sun or tanning, this could be an advantage.

There is no such thing as "the best" mini-suite. That is an opinion, not a fact. Some people consider "best" to be one thing and others, another.

We did not get the price reduction but opted for an AA mini suite and got cabin B228 and B226. It is forward but that does not bother me. At least we know that we will have a cabin with the large balcony. I would not have considered an AD GTY if I had know that there was a chance on getting a small balcony, like I said, I was given the impression that all mini-suites had large balconies. Live and learn I guess, I should have done my own homework.

Duane

Archived