meclizine motion sickness med

vbecky

I am wondering if anyone happens to know the MG. of I believe it use to be Meclizine on board? I want want to bring on my own and I received it from the information desk last time and don't remember how many milligrams it was?

We have Meclizine HCL 24mg..Chewables

Manufacturer is Rugby

Got it the cheapest, believe it or not was cheaper on Amazon.com

Recomended by the Doctor my husband works for-He is a RN

I am wondering if anyone happens to know the MG. of I believe it use to be Meclizine on board? I want want to bring on my own and I received it from the information desk last time and don't remember how many milligrams it was?

Hello,

It is 25 MG. You can buy generic brand equal with Bonine at Walmart - 100 chewable tablets for about $4.00.

Happy Cruising.

I brought my own Bonine on my recent cruise, but ended up using the motion sick pills offered in the doctors office on the ship and they work great. Non drowsy - took one in the am and one in the early evening and never felt any motion sickness or drowsiness. Some days I only took one in the early evening since I was in port during the day. Not sure of the milligram though.

The free bonine (Meclizine hydrochloride) on the ship is 25mg. There are 2 tablets per package. This is the same active ingredient as Bonine.

Just curious, has anyone every taken the bonine (meclizine) and drank alcohol? If so, what affects did it have, if any? Thanks!

Sue

I used to take Meclizine for vertigo before it became OTC. It was still 25 mg then and yes it did make me sleepy. I would seriously knock me out about 4 hours after I took it. Dead to the world. Now when I take the OTC, it doesn't do that. It isn't the same formulary. Same mg strength, but it doesn't work as well IMO.

I start taking Bonine at night a couple of days before the cruise and every night during the cruise. We've had a rocky couple of hours each trip and I never got motion sickness (which I'm very prone to). I did not feel drowsy during the day and I drank alcohol every day during our cruise.:)

I have taken Bonnie on both of our Cruises but the difference this time was, we took it @ dinner and didn't get drowsy at all and yes drank alcohol.The 1st Cruise we took it in the morning and by lunch time I was like a zombie.Worked so much better this time round.This time we probable didn't even need it we had such calm seas,wouldn't take the chance though as we are prone to sea sickness.

Happy Cruising :)

Yes meclizine=bonine=Dramamine II. Normally it comes in 25 mg and you are to take 1-2 pills. I bought a bottle at a local non-chain drug store for under $4 that just said meclizine, no brand. It was actually 12.5 mg each which is nice in case you want to do a partial dose or for kids.

Anyhow, I have extreme motion sickness on planes, watching movies anything. I took 25 mg 2 nites b4 we flew. We had almost constant and intense turbulence on all flight there and back. I never got sick once. I kept taking it throughout the cruise always at nite and did wonderful. I was drowsy, but not sure if it was bcuz we got no sleep or what. And, it wasn't as drowsy as when you take benadryl or something.

Thought about not taking it after a while cuz we were doing so good, but then I would think or were on a tender tomorrow or a long bus ride. So, I just kept taking it.

I think one of the big keys is taking it 2 days b4 you travel. I have taken it 1 hour b4 flying and it hasn't helped as much.

If you need the Bonine (meclizine) do you tell your room steward or just go down to the infirmary? We've always used the patches which have worked well except for my daughter who still got a little sea sick last time so I'm thinking about maybe the other stuff for her.

I always start take 25 mg of Meclizine in the AM and PM starting the day

before I fly or cruise and it has worked well. However, our March/April cruise to Hawaii has rough seas every sea day and, the first day at sea, the medicine didn't work and I was motion sick. The second day I wasn't

any better so I went to the infirmary and bought what they have and was

fine after that. If whatever you take doesn't work go to the infirmary right away. They can sell it to you without you seeing a Dr. and having to pay for an infirmary visit. Meclizine never made me drowsy and I can

drink (moderately) while taking it with no ill effects. Same thing with the

infirmary pills.

I have taken Bonnie on both of our Cruises but the difference this time was, we took it @ dinner and didn't get drowsy at all and yes drank alcohol.The 1st Cruise we took it in the morning and by lunch time I was like a zombie.Worked so much better this time round.This time we probable didn't even need it we had such calm seas,wouldn't take the chance though as we are prone to sea sickness.

Happy Cruising :)

I am one of the lucky ones and do not suffer from sea sickness and have been in some pretty rough seas. My wife takes MCL occassionaly and ususally takes it at night. It does cause some drowsiness in some people and it helps her sleep with no groggy or zombie effects the next day. When she takes it, she takes 2 tablets once a day--at night as I've said. Works fine with her that way.

We were on the Freedom last week and they charged us $3.29 for 4 tablets for my husband... just FYI, they may not be free any longer.

The free bonine (Meclizine hydrochloride) on the ship is 25mg. There are 2 tablets per package. This is the same active ingredient as Bonine.

If you need the Bonine (meclizine) do you tell your room steward or just go down to the infirmary?

You can either get it at the Guest Services desk or at the Infirmary. It is usually in a holder on the wall by the Infirmary.

Is this the same as Bonine? does it make you sleepy? thanks

Yes it will cause drowsiness.

I usually take one 25mg tablet just before bed each night starting the night before the cruise and it works great.

Archived