On Msc, if we dont want to attend gala dinners, is there an alternative?

bigilla

Next month we are going on a cruise on MSC Splendida.

On Msc, if we dont want to attend gala dinners, is there an alternative? I dont think my 4 year old would enjoy them.

We are going to explore the cities on our own (not through shore excursions). Can we disembark as soon as the ship docks, or do we have to wait?

Thanks in advance

Next month we are going on a cruise on MSC Splendida.

On Msc, if we dont want to attend gala dinners, is there an alternative? I dont think my 4 year old would enjoy them.

We are going to explore the cities on our own (not through shore excursions). Can we disembark as soon as the ship docks, or do we have to wait?

Thanks in advance

In my experience with a recent Med cruise, there wasn't really an alternative to the 'gala dinner' (called 'formal' some places) but I think the subtle difference of terms has a bit of significance (but maybe not much). The gala dinner doesn't impose much greater 'burden' on most MSC pax. It is really just a fancier menu with more photo taking. MSC's European passenger demographic (herd) dresses slightly more stylishly day to day than the Amrican herd, so the line doesn't make much of a deal about dress rules - it doesn't need to. There may be a few that do not dress up (or be 'inappropriate' to the judgmental), a great many will dress up, and some more may just throw on a blazer or similar but modest step up dress wise. In all, it pretty much comes out the same as a 'typical' competitive line, but there seems to be a little less emphasis on the 'dress code' concept (or 'head trip') so I wouldn't let the 'gala night' idea bother you in planning. The dinner schedule of the gala night is pretty much the same as any other night so your youngster won't be delayed in getting crankiness avoiding sustenance.:)

Disembarking ports is handled pretty much the same as other lines, it moves quickly and any 'line excursion' departure preferences are either unnoticeable or barely noticeable.

Actually there's no alternative since the buffet is closed in the evenings (aside from the very limited room service menu). As woodofpine says, the gala evening is really no big thing. The dinner may take a little longer than usual, but then again it may not. As far as dress goes, if I have room in my suitcase I'll bring a suit; space limited?, then just a jacket and a couple ties. Many men just wear open neck dress shirts without a jacket. My wife packs just a nice cocktail dress or pants suit. Wear what suits you and bring your youngster.

I think your 4 year old will probably enjoy the last gala evening - I'm sure the parade of flaming baked alaskas will amuse her - not to mention if she likes ice cream she is going to like eating it too.

Actually there's no alternative since the buffet is closed in the evenings (aside from the very limited room service menu). As woodofpine says, the gala evening is really no big thing. The dinner may take a little longer than usual, but then again it may not. As far as dress goes, if I have room in my suitcase I'll bring a suit; space limited?, then just a jacket and a couple ties. Many men just wear open neck dress shirts without a jacket. My wife packs just a nice cocktail dress or pants suit. Wear what suits you and bring your youngster.

Isn't the pizza restaurant open in the evenings? Really it's just a section of the buffet where they make specialty pizzas - but it is an additional charge. We never tried it - just stuck with the main dining room. Also, there are the wine bar and tex-mex restaurants also at extra charge. Both pretty informal (although I don't know if the wine bar would have child friendly things).

As you've been told - the gala dinners aren't really any different from the other dinners except that people dress that bit smarter.

Many men wear jackets but you'll also find some with a shirt/tie.

The only options apart from the Main Dining Room are not free. There are always lots of children on MSC during school holidays. Think carefully which sitting to choose. If you worry that your daughter might bother you table companions, maybe you could ask the local agent to put you on a table with other families that have children

• 2 weeks later...
There is another free option that is called "alternative buffet" at bora bora and pago pago from 18:00 to 20:00. From 20:00 the pizzeria is open but requiers payment.

but only on US not European cruises. Op is sailing Slendida so this will not be an option for them as they do not have buffets at dinner time on the European cruises.

but only on US not European cruises. Op is sailing Slendida so this will not be an option for them as they do not have buffets at dinner time on the European cruises.

On European cruises also, trust me, i just got back from Splendida 2 weeks ago!

I wonder if this would apply to a trans Atlantic on the Poesia in September too?

I dont know if I can handle having to dress up and eat formally every night for 18 nights :( ... might just have to fill my pockets with bread rolls at lunch and eat them for dinner :D

That's new this season, thanks for the update. It is not open long but it does give people a chance to do something different without paying for it. Did they also do that on the night of the Midnight buffet too or did they skip it - to allow time to sey up all the food sculptures?

There is another free option that is called "alternative buffet" at bora bora and pago pago from 18:00 to 20:00. From 20:00 the pizzeria is open but requiers payment.

Thank you (Amomondo, Mihaikolf) for all the info and recent experiences regarding the alternative dinner buffets at dinner time during European cruises.

Does anyone know if this is also the case for the MSC Magnifica in the Eastern Med.? We are travelling with a 3 year old child, and would much rather eat at casual locations than the Main Dining Room.

It seems that MSC goes through great lenghts to attract families with their "Children Travel Free" options. However, they lag way behind most cruiselines in the world that offering alternative casual options for families during all 3 meals of the day. So, I was glad to see that this is now an option in certain MSC sailings.

Hot Dang!!!! That is great news! MSC needs a buffet option at night - even for just a short time, sometimes after an excursion you just feel like fast food. Great for families also! Hopefully we'll hear more reports from other ships this summer implementing the buffet. Wonder if Splendida was a test case?

That is really GREAT news for families.

Just 3 more questions please:

Did you have to pay extra for this 1-hour alternative buffet please?

What food was there to eat?

Was it casual dressing?

Thanks a lot

That is really GREAT news for families.

Just 3 more questions please:

Did you have to pay extra for this 1-hour alternative buffet please?

What food was there to eat?

Was it casual dressing?

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got off the MSC Poesia (June 27) and the pizzeria is open every night. It was an extra charge but I think it was around 5 euros for a pizza. The pizza was big enough for the two of us so not bad for a meal. They did have a few other items - kebobs and they did offer desserts. Tiramisu was around 3 euros. Wine and beer are also available. We ate there the first gala night and one other night after getting back late from an excursion.

There was no buffet at all open at night so don't count on having one. There is a tea time from 4 - 5 PM that did have some small sandwiches and desserts.

I was not impressed with the time it took for us to get off the ship. In one port, they took so long to tender us off that our port time was greatly reduced. I think the time varies on whether they are docked or have to use tenders. When they used tenders, we were assigned a number and had to wait until they called that number. Other ports where we had to pay for shuttles, were also by numbers but you went to a lounge and bought your tickets. If you got their early, you got a low number.

Wow, with all the talk about extra charges for different types of food & no drinks being served in the DR I thought I'd price out a trip on MSC & found it to be no cheaper than RCI, NCL or Princess. I thought I was being nickeled & dimed to death on the other cruise lines until I read about MSC.:eek:

I can see this line isn't in the running for my taste & can't understand why anyone would select them.

Have a good time on MSC and when you've had enough of the extra charges, try one of the top three.

Archived