**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

Hello... I booked this sailing for us yesterday because of the unique itinerary. We really prefer sailing a Vancouver R/T, thus many trips on HAL. Wow...this is perfect! Depart from Vancouver with the Inside Passage and Glacier Bay. Return to Seattle via Victoria. Very unusual.

With just under a year until we sail, many things can happen, and plans can change. However, we love sailing to Alaska in May and will try to make it if at all possible. This will be our 8th voyage to Alaska, but our first with Princess.

I think we were booked on a Crown Princess sailing with you in 2007, but had to cancel.

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread and I look forward to talking to you and others joining the group.

B

Hello... I booked this sailing for us yesterday because of the unique itinerary. We really prefer sailing a Vancouver R/T, thus many trips on HAL. Wow...this is perfect! Depart from Vancouver with the Inside Passage and Glacier Bay. Return to Seattle via Victoria. Very unusual.

With just under a year until we sail, many things can happen, and plans can change. However, we love sailing to Alaska in May and will try to make it if at all possible. This will be our 8th voyage to Alaska, but our first with Princess.

I think we were booked on a Crown Princess sailing with you in 2007, but had to cancel.

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread and I look forward to talking to you and others joining the group.

B

Hello again! I thought your screen name looked familiar :) I'm glad we finally get to meet!

I booked this sailing because of the itinerary too and really loved cruising from Vancouver in 2006. It is so much more scenic and like you said this is the perfect sailing - since we can utilize Seattle for RT air. We took the train the last time so that will be the plan again. A beautiful ride! Don't know if we'll pre-cruise in Seattle or Vancouver yet though.....

This will be my 3rd Alaska cruise and if my friend in Houston joins me we'll have lots to talk about. She sailed with me on the Crown and is sailing Alaska right now with her mom :D

Good Morning. Hope you are having a nice weekend. Starting to get hot here.

I hope your friend joins us.... we will have plenty of time to get to know one another.

I've never taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver. Is it convenient? How long is the trip?

I'm sure we'll pre-cruise in Vancouver. If we decide to stay in Seattle, it will be post-cruise.

Have you sailed on the Golden before?

Off to run those pesky weekend errands.... Mary

Good Morning. Hope you are having a nice weekend. Starting to get hot here.

I hope your friend joins us.... we will have plenty of time to get to know one another.

I've never taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver. Is it convenient? How long is the trip?

I'm sure we'll pre-cruise in Vancouver. If we decide to stay in Seattle, it will be post-cruise.

Have you sailed on the Golden before?

Off to run those pesky weekend errands.... Mary

The train is very convenient actually. The trip is 4 hours and it is very scenic. We overnighted in SEA and took the train the morning of the cruise.

I haven't sailed on the Golden. But I liked the Grand and Crown. The only other Princess cruise to Alaska was on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Whittier.....

I also did one Alaska cruise on HAL. Didn't like the Oosterdam at all :(

The train is very convenient actually. The trip is 4 hours and it is very scenic. We overnighted in SEA and took the train the morning of the cruise.

I haven't sailed on the Golden. But I liked the Grand and Crown. The only other Princess cruise to Alaska was on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Whittier.....

I also did one Alaska cruise on HAL. Didn't like the Oosterdam at all :(

We loved our cruises on the Volendam. Vancouver R/T that included Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay.

Last year we sailed on the Celebrity Millennium R/T out of Vancouver that included Hubbard Glacier. The itenerary was fine... the ship... not so good. In fact, our worst cruise ever and we were in a Royal Suite!

Have only sailed out of Seattle once on the Westerdam. It was OK, but we mainly took it so that we'd have a full day in Juneau to take the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm. The longest/coldest/rainiest excursion ever, but most wonderful memories. We got so close to the Sawyer Glacier. I felt like we could reach out and touch it. Left Juneau at 8:00 a.m. and didn't return until almost 6 p.m.

We have sailed on the Grand out of Galveston. I read it is getting the Piazza upgrade in April. We'd consider it again after the refurb.

Mary

I think the main reason I didn't like the Oosterdam was because the cruise was with friends that were miserable the entire trip. They didn't like the cool and rainy weather and just couldn't make the best of it. Oh well. Live and learn....and I will never talk anyone into an Alaska cruise again :( Although thinking back the food was not good - both in the Lido (never hot enough) or the dining room (limited choices for my taste). It was the first time I didn't like the food on any ship and I was surprised.

However, the itinerary on the Volendam is much better than the Oosterdam so I'm not surprised that you had a great cruise!

I'm so glad you booked this cruise! It is nice to have someone to chat with right away :D

It is nice to chat early in the game...

I think people either like Alaska or they don't. Actually, we talked my husband's sister and her husband into a Caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam several years ago. They didn't really like cruising. But, they went on a non-cruise trip to Hawaii with us and didn't like that either. :( Sometimes visiting with relatives and vacationing isn't the best idea...

What do you know about the new Princess eZair program? I certainly want to look into this option...

What do you know about the new Princess eZair program? I certainly want to look into this option...

I just noticed that in yesterday when I went in to the cruise personalizer to check the reservation. It sounds like a nice option but I from what I can tell there are 2 prices available. One that is non-cancellable and one that isn't? I should read up on that and see if it is worthwhile. I have never found cruise air to be a good choice but maybe things have changed.

I don't quite understand the new cruise air program, but will try to figure it out. The Cruise Personalizer says it will be available in about a month. We will have plenty of time to play around with it and other airfare sites.

I see from the Princess board you booked an aft BB. We booked one of the Window Suites. Tried them before on the Caribbean Princess and really liked the suite perks and location of the cabin for the price. Loved walking down one flight of stairs to the International Cafe...:D Balanced-out not having a balcony by purchasing a week in the Sanctuary. Worked-out great. I actually think this sailing is reasonably priced. Not a bargain, but reasonable.

Mary

Your cabin sounds wonderful! That is a great option for Alaska and probably is the smart way to go. I will only book an aft balcony for Alaska from now on. Need to be out of the wind to really enjoy it ;)

I think the price for this cruise is reasonable too and....I think we're going to see some reductions on this sailing. Early in the season and most people are only looking at the RT Seattle.

One of our Cruise Critic members (and now good friend) had an aft wrap around balcony on the Westerdam. It was great for Alaska. We all really enjoyed it. :)

I saw one of those aft wrap balconies on the Oosterdam and they are huge! Like having your own private viewing deck :D

My friend from Houston is boarding the Sapphire Princess in Seattle today and I wish I was there!!!!

I saw one of those aft wrap balconies on the Oosterdam and they are huge! Like having your own private viewing deck :D

My friend from Houston is boarding the Sapphire Princess in Seattle today and I wish I was there!!!!

I wish I was there too!!! My friend with the Westerdam wrap around balcony is currently on the Eurodam. They were in Barcelona yesterday. She e-mailed this morning and said they love the itenerary, but the ship... not so much. Will be interesting to see what she has to say upon her return. We were supposed to take the sailling with them, but have two 17 and 1/2 year old cats. Can't leave them for 2 weeks at this point.

Ah... wish we were boarding any ship for Alaska!!!

Mary

Hmmm, I wonder what they don't like about the Eurodam? Funny how ships can be so different - even within the same cruise line :confused:

I am getting so excited about this trip! I have been checking out hotels in both Seattle and Vancouver for a 2 night pre-cruise stay already :D

I hope you're enjoying your weekend!

Housework and yard work today... Funny how those things need to get done!

I checked hotels for Vancouver myself! We use frequent guest points to stay at the Hyatt. I discovered the point requirement goes up by 50% for reservations made after June 4 of this year. Notice it is when the reservation is made, not when the stay is scheduled. So I booked two nights pre-cruise. Saved quite a few points! No penalty if we have to cancel and redeposit points. The point requirement for Hyatts in Seattle stays the same, so I didn't book anything. If we decide to stay a night or two post cruise in Seattle, I might try Priceline as it is early in the season. We'll more than likely head straight home.

There are some new "post Olympic" hotels in Vancouver...they might have some good early season rates too.

Back to the laundry!

Mary

I'm in the middle of laundry too. It is too hot here in the daytime now to do yard work so I have to do that in the late evenings and during the week.....

I like Priceline and Hotwire for deals too. At this point I will book something as a back up though ;)

I have also been checking out the webcams this weekend and watching the ships sail away without me!

I'm in the middle of laundry too. It is too hot here in the daytime now to do yard work so I have to do that in the late evenings and during the week.....

I like Priceline and Hotwire for deals too. At this point I will book something as a back up though ;)

I have also been checking out the webcams this weekend and watching the ships sail away without me!

It's hot here too... 92 today. Oh, the dog days of summer are upon us.

I'm leaving for a short business trip to Austin on Tuesday. Bid on Priceline for a hotel room. Received the Hyatt downtown for $65. Hot Deal!!!

I love looking at the Canada Place webcam. I wish we were going this year, but it's not meant to be.... At least now I can start dreaming for next year.

Mary

I'm leaving for a short business trip to Austin on Tuesday. Bid on Priceline for a hotel room. Received the Hyatt downtown for $65. Hot Deal!!!

Mary

You bid already and got that deal? Wow! Tell me more....

You bid already and got that deal? Wow! Tell me more....

Yes, I bid this afternoon. Austin, TX, Tuesday, May 25th, One Night, 4 Star Downtown, $60. They declined but said I could re-bid immediately if I added $15 to the bid ($75). I declined that request. I then added South Austin 4 Star (I knew there wasn't a 4 Star hotel in the South area) and increased my bid to $65. Accepted - Downtown Hyatt Regency!

This may be one of the last really good deals in Austin until after school starts in August... The summer vacation season will be with us as of Memorial Day.

I'm signing off for today... Talk to you soon.

Mary

No problem! Just me being too excited about going back to Alaska ;)

I actually heard from my friend in Houston last night. She emailed from the Sapphire Princess and she's wants to come on this cruise! So now I officially have a cabinmate :D

She didn't get to see any of Seattle so we will doing our pre-cruise there....which works for me!

Glad to hear your friend is joining us. I'm looking forward to getting to know her upon her return from the Sapphire.

I read a Golden - Alaska review on the Princess board. Very positive and they were in a Window Suite like we will have. I think I'm going to have a hard time waiting for a year to return to Alaska. We have another cruise booked in the fall, but I think this one will be special.

Question...I do not smoke and my husband is a light smoker. We did not have any issues with second hand smoke on the CB. Without a balcony in a Window Suite and no smoking in the Sanctuary, I just didn't notice a smoky feel to the cruise. We have had issues in the past on HAL. Heavy smokers throughout the ship. My husband does not smoke in the suite. Takes a "smoke break" in one of the designated smoking areas. What is your experience? I don't know if you smoke or not and I'm not trying to make this the age old war of words between smokers and non-smokers. I'm just asking if our CB experience seems to be the norm on a Princess ship.

I'm sure we'll pre-cruise in Vancouver. I don't know if we'll head straight home post-cruise or not. My husband has always wanted to go on the Boeing tour and we missed it the last time we were in Seattle. We might save that for sometime when we decide to do another Seattle R/T.

Back to work... Have a great week.

Mary

Archived