**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

I've never had a problem with second hand smoke - except on Carnival. So, I don't think you will have an issue. We can ask Margie when she gets back and see what she thinks.....

Hi all and regard from the Sapphire Princess! We are in rough weather, foggy, cold and rough waters after leaving the Juan de Fuca straight late last night. I'm not sure I would choose this itinerary again because I don't really like the rough open seas in this part of the world. I do love the inside passage because there is scenery all the way, coming and going.

I'm looking forward to being on the Golden! I have never sailed her before and my cabinmate was smart enough to grab an aft balcony!! Way to go, Linda!

I won the small Hold Em tournament last night ($175) but alas already spent that. The Sapphire is a nice ship, very pretty, and I felt right at home. They have the aft adult pool (like the Crown) but it has been too cold and windy to venture out there. Hopefully we can grab some sun and calm weather along the way somewhere.

There was an NCL ship who led us out of Seattle yesterday but I never did see the name, and the Oosterdam was to follow. Hope we are not all in the same ports together.

I'll try to check back in and let y'all know how things are going.

The NCL ship was the Pearl. I was drooling all over the webcams - wishing I was there. Love watching the ships during the Alaska cruise season :D

I hope you have smooth seas ahead. I had the same experience on the Oosterdam when sailing from Seattle. Vancouver will be so much nicer although we may have a bit of rough weather the last night of the cruise headed to Victoria.....

Have a great time Margie! I'll be watching the bridge cam :D

Hi all and regard from the Sapphire Princess! We are in rough weather, foggy, cold and rough waters after leaving the Juan de Fuca straight late last night. I'm not sure I would choose this itinerary again because I don't really like the rough open seas in this part of the world. I do love the inside passage because there is scenery all the way, coming and going.

I'm looking forward to being on the Golden! I have never sailed her before and my cabinmate was smart enough to grab an aft balcony!! Way to go, Linda!

I won the small Hold Em tournament last night ($175) but alas already spent that. The Sapphire is a nice ship, very pretty, and I felt right at home. They have the aft adult pool (like the Crown) but it has been too cold and windy to venture out there. Hopefully we can grab some sun and calm weather along the way somewhere.

There was an NCL ship who led us out of Seattle yesterday but I never did see the name, and the Oosterdam was to follow. Hope we are not all in the same ports together.

I'll try to check back in and let y'all know how things are going.

Hello and thanks for giving us up to the minute information.

The only time I sailed R/T from Seattle was on the Westerdam. VERY ROUGH seas from Seattle to Juneau and on the return to Victoria. I acutally like a little rockin' and rollin', but prefer the Inside Passage... muy bonito.

Does the Sapphire have an International Cafe? I absolutely fell in love with it on the CB. A little treat here, a little treat there....:)

BTW... I thought about taking the NCL Star R/T from Vancouver on May 7th and making it a 14 day extravaganza... To my surprise, it has very limited availability. I guess we'll stick with the 7 day Golden itinerary.

Wish we were with you! Say hello to your mother for me... I think Linda told me you were sailing with her! I took my mother to Alaska 3 times... great memories.

Mary

I love the International Cafe on board too and I will be getting a coffee card again too :D

Margie, I checked out the bridge cam from the Sapphire and I can see the rought seas that you're in! Hope they smooth out for soon......

Margie, I just chedked out the bridge cam and you're in Ketchikan today.

It looks cloudy but at least the ship has stopped "rockin". :D

Enjoy your day!!!!

Tuesday in Ketchikan -- the seas smoothed out last night and things were much better. More people in the dining room for formal night! Food was great and I'm glad we did the dressup thing.

It is rather cool (high 50's) and gray, puddles on the ground, but the sun is threatening to break through and it will not be a bad day. I'm headed out to do the mandatory "bring me something,Grandma" shopping, then to the Duck Boat. Quit laughing everyone -- they are fun!

There are three ships in port today that I can see, and it very well might be our friends from Seattle. I'll let you know. Talk to everyone tomorrow!

Tuesday in Ketchikan -- the seas smoothed out last night and things were much better. More people in the dining room for formal night! Food was great and I'm glad we did the dressup thing.

Are you doing the anytime dining? Glad the food is great :D

Good Afternoon, Ladies.

Enjoying a margarita on the patio at the Hyatt in Austin...Looking at Town Lake. Very relaxing ... Cloudy and warm. Light rain earlier. Watching the rowing teams practice.

Ketchican has always been the last stop on every Alaska sailing we've taken, well except for the madatory Victoria pause on a Seattle R/T. If I understand the thread, this is your first stop? My DH loves sailing away from Ketchican. Says it is beuatiful but bittersweet ... means the cruise is almost over.

Does the Sapphire have a wrap around Promenade deck? I really enjoy this feature in Alaska. What a view for a walk! The CB did, so I assume the Golden does.

How do the two of you know one another? I'd love to hear the details of your long distance friendship.

I will be 53 in about 2 weeks. My DH is 53, but will be 54 shortly. We have been married 15 years. First and only marriage for both of us. He's my best friend and a really great guy. No children... only cats.

Linda, I think I remember seeing you booked the new 14 day Amsterdam Alaska sailing for this year. I remember because I really wanted to take the sailing when the itinerary was first announced. Did you reconsider? It's a great itinerary and I've heard the ship is nice, but I think it is quite expensive. That's what helped me make my decision.

Well, I'm going back up to the room and relax until Dancing With The Stars comes on...

Mary

Good Afternoon, Ladies.

Enjoying a margarita on the patio at the Hyatt in Austin...Looking at Town Lake. Very relaxing ... Cloudy and warm. Light rain earlier. Watching the rowing teams practice.

Ketchican has always been the last stop on every Alaska sailing we've taken, well except for the madatory Victoria pause on a Seattle R/T. If I understand the thread, this is your first stop? My DH loves sailing away from Ketchican. Says it is beuatiful but bittersweet ... means the cruise is almost over.

Does the Sapphire have a wrap around Promenade deck? I really enjoy this feature in Alaska. What a view for a walk! The CB did, so I assume the Golden does.

How do the two of you know one another? I'd love to hear the details of your long distance friendship.

I will be 53 in about 2 weeks. My DH is 53, but will be 54 shortly. We have been married 15 years. First and only marriage for both of us. He's my best friend and a really great guy. No children... only cats.

Linda, I think I remember seeing you booked the new 14 day Amsterdam Alaska sailing for this year. I remember because I really wanted to take the sailing when the itinerary was first announced. Did you reconsider? It's a great itinerary and I've heard the ship is nice, but I think it is quite expensive. That's what helped me make my decision.

Well, I'm going back up to the room and relax until Dancing With The Stars comes on...

Mary

Just checked the deck plan and sure enough the wrap around deck is there :)

We're close to the same age. I will be 58 later this year though! Been single for a long time but have lots of grandchildren now and my dog :D

The trip on the Amsterdam would have been great but as you say - expensive! Margie and I were going to sail together on that one so maybe someday. We met a few years ago on the boards and took a chance on sailing together. We both love new adventures and it has been great to have someone to share expenses with ;)

Mary, that was sime finale on Dancing with the Stars! I really enjoyed it even though I was pulling for Evan.

Margie called from the ship last night and it sounds like she is ready to start planning this cruise - as soon as she gets home :D

Have a great day!

Mary, that was sime finale on Dancing with the Stars! I really enjoyed it even though I was pulling for Evan.

Margie called from the ship last night and it sounds like she is ready to start planning this cruise - as soon as she gets home :D

Have a great day!

I was rooting for Evan, too, but have to admit Nicole and Derek performed an amazing Jive last night. I think Derek is a better choreographer than Anna. Sometimes she didn't understand how to highlight Evan's strengths. Oh, well... at least they pulled-up from 3rd to 2nd.

I'm ready to take this cruise... too bad we have to wait for a year!

Mary

Mary, here is a link to a new thread from the Princess boards regarding EzAir....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1207452

Thanks for the link. I want to really look at this once we can see it on the Cruise Personalizer.

I have never even considered taking cruise air. But, with all the natural disaster problems in the last year, it can't hurt to do the analysis.... and we have a lot of time to do it....:)

Mary

Thanks for the link. I want to really look at this once we can see it on the Cruise Personalizer.

I have never even considered taking cruise air. But, with all the natural disaster problems in the last year, it can't hurt to do the analysis.... and we have a lot of time to do it....:)

Mary

Yes, I agree. Since you can still pick your flights it might be a good option. My plan is to meet Margie in Houston and continue on to SEA if Continental fares work right.....

Yes, I agree. Since you can still pick your flights it might be a good option. My plan is to meet Margie in Houston and continue on to SEA if Continental fares work right.....

My first thought was we could all be on the same flight from Houston, but we'll be headed straight to Vancouver, not Seattle....

My first thought was we could all be on the same flight from Houston, but we'll be headed straight to Vancouver, not Seattle....

I wondered about that too! Didn't know for sure if you were going into SEA or YVR so we'll see you on the ship :D

I wondered about that too! Didn't know for sure if you were going into SEA or YVR so we'll see you on the ship :D

Any chance you'll check for comparable multiple destination airfare and enjoy Vancouver pre-cruise and Seattle post-cruise? Or is the train trip from Seattle to Vancouver part of the "experience" for you?

Mary

A pre cruise and post cruise won't be an option for me. I never have enough vacation time for that. I have grandchildren in TX and GA so I have to save as much as I can. ;)

Margie didn't get a chance to see SEA this time so we're looking forward to staying there. The train ride to Vancouver is a plus for us - very scenic! :D

We stayed in Vancouver before our cruise on the Island Princess and I enjoyed that city too!

Thinking about Margie today. The Sapphire Princess is in Skagway along with the Island and Sea.

The sun is out and the high is expected to be 72 degress! Wow :D

I'm knee deep in work for the last few days...

Floating down the Taiya River near Skagway looking for eagles sounds like heaven...

Hope they are having a great time...

Mary

That is exactly where I would like to be right now and Margie and I were talking about doing a float trip this time :D

According to the port cam in both Juneau and Skagway it is 78 degrees!!!

Good Morning.

One year in Sitka, it got up to almost 90 degrees. I believe it was in early June. Very warm.... We really like cooler weather as we experience HOT throughout the summer in Houston. That's one of the reasons we normally go to Alaska in May.... along with cheaper pricing and smaller crowds.

Float trips are a little "iffy" in early to mid May. The snow melt is just starting and the rivers don't have much water flow. Still nice to be outside, but the rivers are low. It really just depends on the conditons when we're there.

Have a nice 3 day weekend....

Mary

Margie and I feel the same way. We don't want to go to Alaska and have temps in the 80's or more :eek:

Here is a picture to get us just a little more excited about this trip ;)

76877068_haxNp-M.jpg

Archived