Volendam condition?

spanky11

She is due to go into drydock in May 2011 in Singapore. And yes she is getting tired, and so are the cabins. It has been reported many times about broken down elevators, which we also experienced on our cruise. We decided we wouldn't sail on the Volendam again until they spent some money upgrading it. But the crew are good, very polite and friendly.

It's been almost a year since we were on her but we had no issues of the maintenance type. And I heard no complaints. I like her size and the fact that she has 3 sets of elevators and 2 pools, one indoors if sunroof is closed, and one aft with great viewing. Her rooms are roomier than the Vista class ships, but i can't compare it to the newer Eurodam and Niew Amsterdam rooms which I haven't tried.

Volendam has interesting public spaces, great library, loovely MDR for dinner and afternoon teas (didn't use it for breakfast or lunch.) Children's area could be moderized, in my opinion. I love the dining room and ease of the Lido. The culinary arts center is up to snuff and used as a theater also. I found seating in the show lounge to be more comfortable downstairs than in the balcony. The bow is opened for a great viewing area for scenic areas.

I think our Volendam cruise was our "most on time" schedule but that has a lot to do with other folks too, but no engine problems like we had on Maasdam a few years ago.

I'd sail on her again in a minute! Hope you find what suits your needs:)

I think she is an elegant ship of just the right size.

Sailed on her September '09. This was our first ship experience, but if we can hold this as our standard, then we should never be disappointed. There may have been one carpet stain that caught my attention; but my DBIL, who has an extensive travel experience , felt that his vacation on this ship met all of his expectations. I look forward to any travel on this ship....the staff erased any possible deficiency,

Marilyn

I understand she is due to go into dry dock next year..I am booked for my first HAL cruise in January and am really looking forward to it.

Its reassuring to hear that the majority of cc have a high regard for her.

I think (and I hope !!!) the dry dock will be in april 2011 (first two weeks ?) because I will board from Singapore to Kobe april the 14th 2011...

The last ride with her was very bumpy and I looove it. Feeling safe from Vancouver to Kobe with nine days of troubled waters...! A bonus surprise with the typhoon Melor. We skipped the Tokyo night.. :(

The ceilings in some public rooms looks a little tired and some of the door base are a little rusty.

Holacanada boarding Niew Amsterdam in 123 days, 5 hours, 40 minutes and 21 seconds

My DH and myself just spent 48 days on the Volendam around New Zealand and the Circumnavigation of Australia, Feb 28 - April 17, 2010.

We found the ship to be in rather good condition.  The crew work hard to keep her looking good.

Air conditioning worked well in our stateroom (Main Deck), and we had no plumbing problems.

There was a water problem in the main lounge after a torrential downpour at Darwin but that was understandable.

The Crew, from the Captain on down, was outstanding, very friendly and accommodating.

I would gladly sail on her again.

This should provide you with the condition of the MS Volendam as she travelled from Sydney thru the beautiful islands in the South Pacific visiting Noumea New Caledonia, Lifou & Isle Of Pines in the Loyalty Islands, Vila & Luganville in Vanuatu & Lautoka, Levuka & Suva in the Fiji Islands to make it a memorable cruise. Capt. Peter Boss & team were excellent in this very full 1500 pax ship. Enjoy the pics & the video highlights link on youtube will follow.

Noel Bell-Melbourne Australia

And prior on the Asian 28 day yrip to Honkers

SE Asia Volendam Cruise 2009 - Video Highlights

Archived