insurance

I've read many opinions and options for cruise insurance. We are within 2 weeks of our cruise and my MIL has been diagnosed as terminally ill. If we buy insurance this late, will coverage apply if we have to cancel in case of her death?

I've read many opinions and options for cruise insurance. We are within 2 weeks of our cruise and my MIL has been diagnosed as terminally ill. If we buy insurance this late, will coverage apply if we have to cancel in case of her death?

It could be a problem but it will depend on the language in the particular policy you are considering purchasing. Before you buy any insurance you should make sure you read and understand all its provisions. In your particular situation you should ask your question of the company offering the policy before you make a purchase. Hope that you get a positive answer. You might also contact the cruiseline and explain your situation and ask if you can defer your cruise for a later one. Sorry to hear of your MIL's diagnosis and hope things work out for the best for you.

Go to insuremytrip and look at Tru Travel Super Saver and see if those rates/terms agree with you. Then call them at 800-487-4722 and ask if you pay the $40 optional pre-existing fee, would you be covered. Most policies you have to buy with 2-3 weeks of initial deposit to have pre-existing. However, I noticed on this policy that if I did that, the $40 optional fee was waived. I called them on another matter and remembered to ask her about the pre-existing. The nice rep told me people pay the $40 when they KNOW they have a pre-existing and are beyond the waiver period. I'm not positive about that so that is why I would call them.

Worth a shot.

Tucker in Texas

I agree about insuremytrip.com. Call and speak to the rep and explain your situation and decide if there is a policy that would work for you. They have always been helpful when I call with questions. I would not bother asking RC. They always have different answers for everything.

I agree about insuremytrip.com. Call and speak to the rep and explain your situation and decide if there is a policy that would work for you. They have always been helpful when I call with questions. I would not bother asking RC. They always have different answers for everything.

That may often be true, but since there might be a question concerning deferring their cruise, the only one who can answer that question with any authority is RCI. If the answer is positive have them fax or email you with a written confirmation.:) If the initial answer is negative ask to speak to a supervisor or to speak to the Resolutions Desk and explain your situation. The result might be different and in your favor.:)

That may often be true, but since there might be a question concerning deferring their cruise, the only one who can answer that question with any authority is RCI. If the answer is positive have them fax or email you with a written confirmation.:) If the initial answer is negative ask to speak to a supervisor or to speak to the Resolutions Desk and explain your situation. The result might be different and in your favor.:)

The reason I said not to ask a RC rep is because I have gotten incorrect info from them more than once. For one example, I was told by a RC rep that the cabin I had booked on Mariner, 1394, had a balcony the same size as every other balcony on the ship. We know this is not true, those aft balconies are very large, but this woman insisted she was correct. I know this doesn't have anything to do with the OP and the insurance issue. I just do not trust those folks anymore to give accurate info.

If you paid for your cruise with a credit card, also check with them. They often have great travel insurance ALREADY included, just because you used the credit card to pay for the cruise. Hope you get things worked out. :)

Really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there is no way an insurance company will sell to you at this late date knowing you are going to cancel.

Thank you all for your help. Hopefully we will know more in a couple of days so that we can make a decision. We have been looking forward to this as we are planning on taking our daughter and son in law - she is pregnant with our first grandchild and the trip is celebrating this and my husband's recent retirement. In addition, this news may also jeopardize our July Mediterranean cruise.

Thank you all for your help. Hopefully we will know more in a couple of days so that we can make a decision. We have been looking forward to this as we are planning on taking our daughter and son in law - she is pregnant with our first grandchild and the trip is celebrating this and my husband's recent retirement. In addition, this news may also jeopardize our July Mediterranean cruise.

I hope it works out for you. I was also wondering if you can even buy insurance at this late date.

Archived