Anyone doing the HCG diet?

I hope to start this very soon. I am in touch with a clinic that has a program. I have lost 70 lbs since christmas 2008, but for the past month or so everything has been at a standstill for me. I am going on my first cruise with my boyfriend on 12/04/10. We'll be on the NCL Epic! So excited, but I'd love to lose another 30 lbs by then.

.plus it teachs you what to eat and portion control ...it has worked for several of my friends..

No. HGC does not teach you what to eat. Perhaps the person selling it to you offers an educational plan to teach you what to eat, but the few people who don't yo-yo and pack the pounds back on are able to do so because they were the few who actually learned portion control and the ability to reduce caloric intake. Some learn that from programs such as WW after they lose weight with the very low calorie diet (VLCD) which is what HCG essentially does for you.

When I recently completed a 30 day HCG cycle, I lost 20 pounds and over 14 inches on my body. I was INCREDIBLY hungry the entire time

Not surprising at all. You ate drastically below your maintenance level. It will be a challenge to maintain that weight loss. Check back in 6 or 12 months and update us on whether you were able to keep the pounds off.

IF a person has read the actual science, and not just the de-bunk articles, then they would be informed and not talking out of their ...

Please feel free to post citations to any peer reviewed medical journal articles that support your beliefs, because you are not on solid ground. I have read the literature and let's just say that the science does not support that HCG is doing what you people think it is. This is not something new. There are studies from decades ago.

It is working for me too.....I do not like to tell others about it though....

for the very reason here. Seems like everyone wants to attack you for it.

All I know is....if I were eating this low calorie normally, w/o the hcg, I would have no success. I know this because I have been on several diets before that were calorie restrictive and I could not do it because of hunger. I was very skeptical when I heard about this plan....but I thought what the heck....i have been very happy I did. I lost 20lbs the first time and maintained it over 6 weeks....this includes a vacation out west.

So if it makes someone able to lose the weight....why can't people just be glad for them and let it go at that. Good luck to all who go on the hcg venture or whatever diet plan you choose to use.

This thread should be for people who want to discuss their hcg diet, NOT be critizied for it. :mad:

It is VERY RUDE to belittle people for their weight lose method.

This thread should be for people who want to discuss their hcg diet, NOT be critizied for it. :mad:

It is VERY RUDE to belittle people for their weight lose method.

Yes...I agree..

I wish someone had told me about this diet a LONG time ago...it would have saved me some money....money I could spend on cruising

Sorry that some of you don't like to hear anything that doesn't support your current belief, but sometimes you need to hear things that you may not like to. If you are losing fat while you are spending money on this treatment, then there will be an expectation bias. I am honestly happy for anyone who is losing fat while on this, but my goal in addressing this issue to to send a wake-up call to people that the only reason this works for some people is because of the very low caloric intake. I am a firm believer in the power of the human mind and there is a placebo effect that takes place with many supplements and treatments. If this product allows you to reduce calories where you couldn't do it with willpower and discipline, well, then it is effective for achieving that goal. However, claiming that you have maintained weight loss for 6 weeks is certainly not saying much. The number of people who maintain at the 12 month mark is nothing to brag about. Essentially, for the vast majority of people, this is a waste of money.

Since nobody has provided any solid research contesting my comments, I guess I will provide some so that you start questioning your current beliefs. A meta-analysis was conducted to assess if there is scientific ground for the use of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. See, The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. G K Lijesen, et al. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 September; 40(3): 237–243.

Essentially they reviewed published papers relating to eight controlled and 16 uncontrolled trials that measured the effect of HCG in the treatment of obesity. They concluded "that there is no scientific evidence that HCG causes weight-loss, a redistribution of fat, staves off hunger or induces a feeling of well-being. Therefore, the use of HCG should be regarded as an inappropriate therapy for weight reduction...."

You may also want to look at the May 2010 edition of the Harvard Women's Health Watch in which there is an article titled, By the way, doctor. I've been trying to lose weight for a long time and nothing seems to work. What do you know about the HCG diet? by

Robb-Nicholson C. See, Harv Womens Health Watch. 2010 May;17(9):8.

Sorry that some of you don't like to hear anything that doesn't support your current belief, but sometimes you need to hear things that you may not like to. If you are losing fat while you are spending money on this treatment, then there will be an expectation bias. I am honestly happy for anyone who is losing fat while on this, but my goal in addressing this issue to to send a wake-up call to people that the only reason this works for some people is because of the very low caloric intake. I am a firm believer in the power of the human mind and there is a placebo effect that takes place with many supplements and treatments. If this product allows you to reduce calories where you couldn't do it with willpower and discipline, well, then it is effective for achieving that goal. However, claiming that you have maintained weight loss for 6 weeks is certainly not saying much. The number of people who maintain at the 12 month mark is nothing to brag about. Essentially, for the vast majority of people, this is a waste of money.

Since nobody has provided any solid research contesting my comments, I guess I will provide some so that you start questioning your current beliefs. A meta-analysis was conducted to assess if there is scientific ground for the use of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. See, The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. G K Lijesen, et al. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 September; 40(3): 237–243.

Essentially they reviewed published papers relating to eight controlled and 16 uncontrolled trials that measured the effect of HCG in the treatment of obesity. They concluded "that there is no scientific evidence that HCG causes weight-loss, a redistribution of fat, staves off hunger or induces a feeling of well-being. Therefore, the use of HCG should be regarded as an inappropriate therapy for weight reduction...."

You may also want to look at the May 2010 edition of the Harvard Women's Health Watch in which there is an article titled, By the way, doctor. I've been trying to lose weight for a long time and nothing seems to work. What do you know about the HCG diet? by

Robb-Nicholson C. See, Harv Womens Health Watch. 2010 May;17(9):8.

Snorkelman - although you are entitled to your opinion - it does not belong here - the topic of this thread is "Anyone doing the HCG diet" NOT "who wants to cram their opinion of HCG down others throats". Please create your own thread discussing your topic and stop trolling this one!

Now for my experience:

I completed a 40 day treatment using the homeopathic sublingual drops I purchased on the web for 39.95 - 10 drops 3 times a day. I lost a total of 25 lbs in my first round. I stuck strickly to Dr Simeons diet and only had a few times where I felt hungry. Actually the last couple of weeks I had to spread out the fruit from my main meals because I would be full.

I took 7 weeks off and ate about 1500 calories a day most days but I did allow myself some indulgences - pasta, italian pastry, the terribly addicting Snyder's Honey Mustard Pretzel Pieces - these were a daily indulgence! I gaind about 2 lbs back in the 7 weeks.

I am now on a 2nd course of the drops - day 11 and am down 7 lbs.

I tried losing other ways with ZERO results - my metabolism is virtually non existant. I rode a stationary bike 3 hours a day - that's about 17 miles a day - for 4 months on a 1200 calorie/day diet and while I should have been losing 2 or 3 lbs a week I lost 7 lbs in 16 weeks - totally depressing!:(

Naysayers be damned - I am a fan of HCG!

• 2 weeks later...
Snorkelman - although you are entitled to your opinion - it does not belong here - the topic of this thread is "Anyone doing the HCG diet" NOT "who wants to cram their opinion of HCG down others throats". Please create your own thread discussing your topic and stop trolling this one!

Now for my experience:

I completed a 40 day treatment using the homeopathic sublingual drops I purchased on the web for 39.95 - 10 drops 3 times a day. I lost a total of 25 lbs in my first round. I stuck strickly to Dr Simeons diet and only had a few times where I felt hungry. Actually the last couple of weeks I had to spread out the fruit from my main meals because I would be full.

I took 7 weeks off and ate about 1500 calories a day most days but I did allow myself some indulgences - pasta, italian pastry, the terribly addicting Snyder's Honey Mustard Pretzel Pieces - these were a daily indulgence! I gaind about 2 lbs back in the 7 weeks.

I am now on a 2nd course of the drops - day 11 and am down 7 lbs.

I tried losing other ways with ZERO results - my metabolism is virtually non existant. I rode a stationary bike 3 hours a day - that's about 17 miles a day - for 4 months on a 1200 calorie/day diet and while I should have been losing 2 or 3 lbs a week I lost 7 lbs in 16 weeks - totally depressing!:(

Naysayers be damned - I am a fan of HCG!

That is awesome! I am in Phase 3 awaiting to go back on for a few weeks precruise on Oasis...

I totally agree - it is the best diet for quick results and easy to maintain...I have a friend right now who is depressed because she has exercised for 22days shraight and cut back calories and has only lost 1.5 lbs....I keep telling give hcg a try..you WILL HAVE RESULTS..:)

Are you still on this round?

Just wanted to stop in an say that I have started back on this again over the weekend. I am so excited and for my personal experience, this is wonderful.

I have always been up there in weight compared to friends around me especially after my second pregnancy. I have tried pretty much every diet out there over the past 18 years with no success until I tried the HCG Diet. The best part is that it has been over 6 months since I did the protocol and have only gained 3 pounds. I have even gone back to my "normal" eating habits since then. I have noticed that my portion size has decreased and I will eat/snack more sensibly than before. But have decided that I need to get back on this to loose those additional pounds. I would love to get to the 150 mark, but I would say that is an unreachable target for me, so loosing 20 - 40 more pounds would be great and acceptable for me.

Good luck to all that are doing this protocol.

Just wanted to stop in an say that I have started back on this again over the weekend. I am so excited and for my personal experience, this is wonderful.

I have always been up there in weight compared to friends around me especially after my second pregnancy. I have tried pretty much every diet out there over the past 18 years with no success until I tried the HCG Diet. The best part is that it has been over 6 months since I did the protocol and have only gained 3 pounds. I have even gone back to my "normal" eating habits since then. I have noticed that my portion size has decreased and I will eat/snack more sensibly than before. But have decided that I need to get back on this to loose those additional pounds. I would love to get to the 150 mark, but I would say that is an unreachable target for me, so loosing 20 - 40 more pounds would be great and acceptable for me.

Good luck to all that are doing this protocol.

Tammy - keep at it and never say something is unreachable. Were you on the shots or the drops? I have found the drops to be very effective and much more affordable for repeated courses. You could just keep doing 5 week courses with 2 or 3 weeks off in between until you reach your goal.

For those of you undergoing this and finding success in retraining yourself on proper amounts of food (especially for when you go "off" the HCG and your caloric intake increases), congratulations.

Anyone undergoing this very low calorie diet (VLCD) may want to consider taking up weight training. One of the biggest problems with a VLCD is that you lose significant amounts of muscle since it is challenging to keep protein levels adequate. Nonetheless, it is possible to gain muscle on a calorie restricted diet. About a decade ago a study came out which tested the effects of resistance training vs. aerobic (cardio) training when on a very low calorie diet (VLCD). This study involved unconditioned and overweight subjects consuming only 800 calories per day. This study concluded that the addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in the preservation of lean body weight and resting metabolic rate. Over the 12-week test period, the subjects that did cardio only lost an average of 7.4% body fat, but also lost 4.1 % lean mass. Whereas those who did weight training lost 8.6% body fat, and only lost 0.8% lean mass. This demonstrates that resistance/strength training (rather than aerobic training – a.k.a. "cardio") should comprise the bulk of the training in a severe caloric deficit.

See, Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate. Bryner RW, Ullrich IH, Sauers J, Donley D, Hornsby G, Kolar M, Yeater R. J Am Coll Nutr. 1999 Apr;18(2):115-21. PMID: 10204826 http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/18/2/115

You can take steps to further limit the lean body mass (muscle) losses when on your VLCD by making sure that you are taking in sufficient protein.

Good luck on your journeys.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this topic. I started my HCG journey almost a year ago, and have great success. I was at a point in my life where I was seriously considering weight loss surgery. I had several medical problems that were becoming serious and surgery seemed like my last hope after a lifetime of "dieting". My sil who is an RN suggested a new diet (HCG) that several of the Dr's she works with were on. I thought she was crazy at first...500 cals! No way!...but I did tons of research and decided to give it a try. I have done 3 rounds and lost a total of 108lbs to date. I truly believe that this diet has helped me change my life around and has given me a second chance. Do I think that it's a magic cure, no. I still had the choice every day to stick to the menu plans and not put certain things into my body. I will say that being able to see results, on a daily basis, certainly kept me motivated to keep on keepin on. I still have a LONG way to go before I am at a "healthy" BMI, so I will be doing a few more rounds of HCG. Hopefully by next summer I will be at my goal weight. There is a HUGE group of HCG'ers on fb and youtube that I consider my family. They have supported me and been my rocks. We are actually doing an HCG group cruise next September to celebrate our weight losses. As far as cruising while on HCG...I wouldn't recommend it if you are on the vlcd's...but if you are on the maintenance phase...you will be able to find plenty of safe foods. Congrats to everyone who has been successful on HCG!! :)

Thanks for sharing your stories...I am back on it after losing 20 lbs the first round...hoping to get another 15lbs lost before Oasis..

but another story for you here:

Ran into a friend while shopping last weekend...when she walked up to me I didn't recognize her; she has lost 75 lbs...and she also did it on HCG...she looks great but still has some rounds/lbs to go...but this last week she went back to the doctor and now she posted on FB that she does not have to take blood pressure meds or diabetic maintenance...her succes was with the injections...

For those of you undergoing this and finding success in retraining yourself on proper amounts of food (especially for when you go "off" the HCG and your caloric intake increases), congratulations.

Anyone undergoing this very low calorie diet (VLCD) may want to consider taking up weight training. One of the biggest problems with a VLCD is that you lose significant amounts of muscle since it is challenging to keep protein levels adequate. Nonetheless, it is possible to gain muscle on a calorie restricted diet. About a decade ago a study came out which tested the effects of resistance training vs. aerobic (cardio) training when on a very low calorie diet (VLCD). This study involved unconditioned and overweight subjects consuming only 800 calories per day. This study concluded that the addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in the preservation of lean body weight and resting metabolic rate. Over the 12-week test period, the subjects that did cardio only lost an average of 7.4% body fat, but also lost 4.1 % lean mass. Whereas those who did weight training lost 8.6% body fat, and only lost 0.8% lean mass. This demonstrates that resistance/strength training (rather than aerobic training – a.k.a. "cardio") should comprise the bulk of the training in a severe caloric deficit.

See, Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate. Bryner RW, Ullrich IH, Sauers J, Donley D, Hornsby G, Kolar M, Yeater R. J Am Coll Nutr. 1999 Apr;18(2):115-21. PMID: 10204826 http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/18/2/115

You can take steps to further limit the lean body mass (muscle) losses when on your VLCD by making sure that you are taking in sufficient protein.

Good luck on your journeys.

Pilates is perfect for this..

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I am reaching out to some of you that have done this. I bought this for my mom as she has a hard time losing weight. I got her a plan that includes the drops and a detox and vitamins...It looks like you detox for a week and then 2 loading days and then a certain number of days of these drops at 500 calories a day...

My question is that calories...is it 500 of ANYTHING you want to eat or does it have to be something specific?

Congrats to all of you that have done this and I hope this works for her also. I have heard from a few different people that it has worked. And I don't know how you guys have the willpower...I had 500 calories for a snack today...I don't think I could only eat that all day at all.

So, any info you can give me I would appreciate it. I would like to give this to her as her B-day gift and be able to give her as much info as possible.

Days 1-2

“Loading days”

Days 3 up to 40:

Breakfast:

1 Tea, coffee, herbal tea or water.

1 Tbsp. limit of milk each 24 hours.

(Saccharin or Stevia may be used.)

Drink plenty of water.

Lunch:

1. 100 grams (4 oz.) of veal, beef, chicken

breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab or

shrimp. Remove all visible fast and weigh

meat raw before broiling or grilling. Drink

plenty of water. Avoid: salmon, eel, tuna,

herring, dried or pickled fish.

2. One type of vegetable at each meal: 2 cups of

spinach, chard, Chicory, beet greens, green

salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions,

radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage-2

cups each; 1 cup tomatoes or onions.

3. One breadstick (grissino-Italian) or one Melba

toast.

4. An apple or a handful of strawberries (10

med.), or one-half grapefruit.

Dinner:

Consume the same four food categories eaten

for lunch; water.

Other items for consumption:

Lemon daily, salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard

powder, garlic, sweet basil, parsley, thyme,

marjoram, may be used for seasoning, but

avoid oil, butter or dressing. Fruit or a breads

tick may be eaten between meals.

Ugh...that is what I was trying to avoid was her having to eat certain things. I am thinking that she should be OK to eat anything as long as it isn't a starch or sugar and she can keep it under 500 calories a day.

It doens't seem that there is any scientific combination of foods that would trigger more weight loss than other foods, I would assume that this list is just so you get the most vitamins/proteins etc out of those 500 calories. I mean, if you only eat 500 and your body burns 1500 in a day just doing what you do and not working out you are going to lose weight regardless...you burn more than you eat, you lose weight.

I have got my own 500 calorie or less plan for her:

Breakfast...1/2 cup Egg Substitute with pepper/onions (75 calories)

Snack...pickle (5 calories)

Lunch...Mixed green salad with onion, pepper and cucumber and 1 ounce of grilled chicken breast and 3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar (approx. 150 calories)

Snack...Jello Sugar Free Mousse cup (60 calories)

Dinner...2 ounces chicken or lean beef and 1 cup of steamed green veggies (approx. 200 calories)

Atleast 64 ounces of water/unsweetened iced tea/sugar free, no calorie juice

We'll see how this works for her...

It's actually very important to stick to the foods on the protocol list. You and your mom should actually read "Pounds and Inches" by Dr. Simeon's. It's all about the diet and in my opinion, no one should attempt this diet without first reading this. You can find a pdf version by googling. :)

You can only eat what is on the list; it makes it worth it to loose so quickly.

Normally when you eat only 500 calories a day your body goes into starvation but the drops is telling your brain to burn fat for energy; hence why you loose the weight quickly with only loosing small amounts of muscle...

So where is everyone at with their weight loss...how long have you been on it and how much have you lost...and how much did you have to lose?

The plan I ordered doesn't have a meal plan, just ideas and there is nothing you have to stick to...there is guidelines but no actual diet...I talked to a friend of mine that is a trainer and he said it really shouldn't matter, 500 is 500 just try to make as much of it fruits, veggies and proteins as you can and take a good mutlivitamin as regardless of what 500 calories you eat, you can never get all you vitamins from anything.

I think as long as you don't eat a bunch of sugar and starches and carbs for the 500 calories it will be OK...will let you know how my modified plan works out.

Tracy ~ There are those who go strictly by the protocol and then there are those who modify. Each group has its own valid points.

This diet was established by Dr. Simeon (hence the name Simeon's Protocol). The poster who told you to read Pounds & Inches is right; you should definitely do that. He talks in there about how all calories are not created equally and that he has done all the research and studies to know exactly what foods are best for this plan. Each food has its own chemical makeup which will affect weight loss. For example, he mentions that a pear has less calories than an apple but says we should still avoid the pear and eat the apple.

There are those who modify the plan, as well, and many are succeeding with their tweaks. Some are calorie cycling, carb cycling, going by Protocol but adding in an extra serving of protein or veggies or fruit, etc.

For more reading, check out the Low Carb Friends forums. There is a forum for hcg (Simeon's Protocol). Those people advocate strict adherence to protocol and most are having amazing results. There is also a thread entitled HCG Rebels and Rogues (Go to "Other Plans" and it's there). Those ladies are tweaking it and are also having amazing results.

Hope this helps!

(Oh, and there are evidently 2 versions of Pounds & Inches floating around---one that allows oranges and one that does not.)

Archived