renting a car in skagway

messymarie

Yes. We rented from Avis and had a Honda Accord for only about $65. We drove into Canada as far as Emerald Lake. It was a very nice drive and a nice break from shipboard life. Probably the most economical shore excursion you can find.

Gary

We rented a car also. Went all the way to Whitehorse. Beautiful drive. Even saw a couple bears.

Dont try to use your debit card. They only accept credit cards. At least that was the case a couple years ago.

We rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake but a word of warning to Canadians. The Canadian customs will turn back Canadian citizens who are driving rental cars. Fortunately I also have a British passport so just before the border I took over and drove through the customs using my British passport and then quickly switched back to passenger mode. On the way back into the US we didn't bother to switch and the US customs agent asked how we had managed to get a rental car across the border. He said we wouldn't believe the number of Canadians who were turned back from entering their own country! So beware if you are Canadian and want to rent a car in Skagway to drive to the Yukon!

Unless things have changed in the last two years Avis has the most reliable fleet and service. For more information please check the Alaska boards. You should find the best recommendations there.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We rented last year from Avis. It was a walkable distance from the ship to get to the rental place. We drove up to Emerald Lake (beautiful). Stopped in Carcross for lunch. Check out the post office and the little jewelry store while you are there. The locals are very friendly. The best excursion I have ever had on a cruise!

Two years ago rented a car from Avis in Skagway. They were the only option then and are only open in the summer. People running it said they spend the winter in Hawaii. Booked the car on line before going. Anyway, drove to Whitehorse and it was a wonderful day. Stopped in Carcross on the way. The trip is 110 miles one way. The road is fine but much of it is gravel so you have to watch speed. The scenery is quite spectacular. A picture by the sign entering the Yukon Territory is a must. If (make that when) I do another Alaska I will definitely do this again.

Avis used to stop service in middle September. I do not know if this is still their SOP. If you are going after that date google Skagway and find a local driver/guide and double check here on the Alaska boards. A day trip to Carcross and Emerald Lake is absolutely one of the best excursions ever, especially in September.

Hi! The 1st time we ever rented a car on a cruise was to do this. We drove all the way to Emerald Lake. It was the most incredible trip! I'll never forget the 1st time my hubby pulled over to the side of the road so I could take some photos...as I got out of the car (slightly chilly morning so windows were up) I was about knocked out by a smell. It was evergreen trees! I will always remember that. I live in the 'burbs' & we have trees all around us, have been to the Pocono Mts many times, ect, but the smell of those tress was unreal. The scenery was beautiful. We also stopped at Carcross & a few other places. I think we passed maybe 10 cars the whole trip. As we were driving we saw the train; but we went so much further than them.

And then there was Emerald Lake...AWESOME! I took SO many photos.

I also have to say it was the BEST part of our Alaska cruise. If we ever get back to Alaska it would be a no-brainer for us to do this again.

I say GO FOR IT! :)

rocks

Go to the Alaska board and do a search there is a gentleman that had a guide to help direct thru that area search for Murray's guide and see if anything comes up. he set it up where there are certain mileposts that are good photo ops etc. DO NOT MISS EMERALD LAKE. Also be aware the rental place is in a strip motel, so if yo look for a individual car rental place you will think your lost. Go into town take a right at the corner that the red onion is on and go (not sure here) one to two blocks and look to the right and you will see the sign.

Has anyone rented a car in skagway? If so where did you go?

I have just booked with Sourdough Car Rentals which is c$40 less than I would have to pay with Avis who have no economy cars left for 2 July. Reviews on the net are generally OK. Will let you know how it went.

We did this drive using an Avis car booked from the UK in July 2007 - peaceful and very scenic. Having been warned we might not be able to get lunch anywhere except where the tours go (which we wanted to avoid!) we picked up a great picnic in Skagway before setting out and ate it overlooking Emerald Lake - altogether a memorable day.

This was easily our favorite (and cheapest) excursion the whole trip. Probably one of my favorite excursions ever. Had lunch at some roadside place, saw whatever we wanted, stopped as much as we wanted. Great scenery, and the above poster wasn't kidding about the evergreen smell. It's like the stuff they spray in your car at the carwash, only it's everywhere!

I have just booked with Sourdough Car Rentals which is c$40 less than I would have to pay with Avis who have no economy cars left for 2 July. Reviews on the net are generally OK. Will let you know how it went.

We used sourdough for the same reason. Went fine. Avis will rent you "rental cars" and it felt like sourdough just rented out whatever his buddies would loan him. We drove an F350 that could tow away a small restaurant. It had someone's personal possessions in the glovebox and the outside was FILTHY (the interior somewhat less so), but it made us look (and feel) like locals. The car came with about 1/4 tank of gas, and we returned it with the same amount. I didn't review it on CC at the time as it seemed like something no one would like, but I loved it. Gotta get a little local flavor once in a while.

We, too, rented a car from Avis in Skagway last Aug. When we got to the little rental place, there was a line of people waiting for cars---but there weren't many cars there. Apparently they overbook and if you don't show up in time, you may not get a car. We ended up talking them into giving us one with mechanical warning lights lit (my husband had been a mechanic). There were MANY unhappy customers there that day. Be forewarned, too, that they WILL use the "you weren't here within your 1 hour grace period,therefore we don't have a car for you." We were within the grace period and they still told us that. We noticed a couple cars in the lot and went back in. That's when they told us they had warning lights on them. My husband stayed calm and talked them into renting one to us. They didn't knock off any of the price and told us they would not help us if it had problems. I had reserved the car back in Jan. and was looking forward to this ride up to Emerald lake. We didn't have any problems with the car, but the aggrevation was not helpful.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone rented a car in skagway? If so where did you go?

Just back. Car rental from Sourdough worked great. Car had 118000 miles on the clock but went well and seemed well maintained. They even recommended the drive to Dyea which was great and which I believe Avis will not permit due to unmade roads. Coupled with enjoyable trip to Emerald Lake this made it a great value excursion. Saw 4 bears which fulfilled my greatest wish for the cruise.

We also rented a car from Sourdough last month. I don't remember what the mileage was but if ran just fine. We got a maroon Lumina named "Marie." She came with a full tank of gas and we just filled up when we got back to town.

BTW it's supposed to be about 5 hours to Emerald Lake and back... well it took us 8 hours because everything was so pretty and we had to stop all the time to take pictures! We knew that we would probably be back after the Sourdough office closed so they told us to just park in the back and drop the keys in the mail slot.

The folks at Sourdough were very nice and I would rent from them again. :)

Archived