Seward: Need place to keep fish frozen for trip home

lundys21

I assume you are chartering a fishing trip? If so, have you asked that company for your choices? A quick google search came up with Captain Jack's Seafood Locker...I didn't look further.

are you flying home ??? i would check and see if you can get it on the plane. it would have too be in dry ice of course. or have it shipped home. they can arrange for a timely ship date to make sure you are home when it gets there. good fishing and i hope you catch plenty of them. :)

are you flying home ??? i would check and see if you can get it on the plane. it would have too be in dry ice of course. or have it shipped home. they can arrange for a timely ship date to make sure you are home when it gets there. good fishing and i hope you catch plenty of them. :)

Just a slight correction. You CANNOT take dry ice on a commercial airliner. In fact, FedEx (and CargoTran) are the only USA cargo carriers authorized to handle product with dry ice. I am in the international food shipping business. I often run into product that someone has packed with dry ice. It is ALWAYS a hassle to get it moved.

All fish packed and shipped out of Alaska is flash frozen to 40 below, then packed with gel ice and shipped no more than two day shipping. Gel ice will stay solidly frozen for about 36 under "normal" summer weather conditions (not the Arizona desert).

DH uses J-Dock in Seward. http://www.jdockseafood.com/processing.html

Has been satisfied with their processing and they will store your fish until you are ready to leave. We ALWAYS take our fish home on the plane-even paying excess luggage charges is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than shipping it home. Average shipping price is slightly over $3.00 per pound FedEx. Processing, freezing and packaging average about $3.00 a pound for the TOTAL weight (not the cleaned/filleted weight)

Just a slight correction. You CANNOT take dry ice on a commercial airliner. In fact, FedEx (and CargoTran) are the only USA cargo carriers authorized to handle product with dry ice. I am in the international food shipping business. I often run into product that someone has packed with dry ice. It is ALWAYS a hassle to get it moved.

All fish packed and shipped out of Alaska is flash frozen to 40 below, then packed with gel ice and shipped no more than two day shipping. Gel ice will stay solidly frozen for about 36 under "normal" summer weather conditions (not the Arizona desert).

DH uses J-Dock in Seward. http://www.jdockseafood.com/processing.html

Has been satisfied with their processing and they will store your fish until you are ready to leave. We ALWAYS take our fish home on the plane-even paying excess luggage charges is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than shipping it home. Average shipping price is slightly over $3.00 per pound FedEx. Processing, freezing and packaging average about $3.00 a pound for the TOTAL weight (not the cleaned/filleted weight)

thanks for correcting me. i did not know they had a '' gel ice ''. if i need too send anything home i will know the proper way too do it now. and im sure the op is appriciative for the info also. :)

I took GreatAm's advice last year and took it on the plane in one of the boxes that you can buy from J-Dock or Cracker Jack with gel packs. The problem was that DH caught a bunch of fish in Seward. We stored it in our small refrigerator at our cabin and then took it in a cooler with ice on the train from Seward to Anchorage. We exchanged the fresh fish for cold and hot smoked salmon in Anchorage which was frozen. It was a bit of a hassle and the exchange was really not worth it but you can also have J-Dock or Cracker Jack process your fish and have them freeze it until you are ready to leave on your flight home.

Archived