Fred Olsen to axe Liverpool from its schedule

nellydean

I have not cruised with Fred Olsen, but thought you might be interested in this news story today, which is very sad for my home town of Liverpool but, hopefully, will be rectified if at all possible:

Top cruise line Fred Olsen to axe Liverpool from its schedule

May 27 2010 by Peter Elson, Liverpool Echo

A LEADING cruise company has cancelled all its cruises from Liverpool from the middle of next year.

Fred Olsen Cruise Lines says docking is too hazardous at the port.

It will abandon its lucrative Liverpool cruise programme after June 2011, despite practically selling out 7,700 berths on nine cruises this year.

It is a devastating blow to Liverpool’s bid to become the major cruise base for northern passengers.

The company’s pull-out will mean a loss of £4m to the city’s economy.

The cruise line doubled capacity this year by basing the 856-berth Boudicca in Liverpool for nine cruises.

The 28,000-ton liner is twice the size of her predecessor, Black Prince, a Liverpool favourite for six years.

Unfortunately, bringing the much bigger Boudicca in and out of Bootle’s Langton Dock is too hazardous to continue beyond next summer.

The River Mersey’s high winds, tidal range and speed make it very tricky to bring the liner through Langton Lock.

In another blow to LIverpool’s pride, the company said it would keep Boudicca sailing from Newcastle and Scotland for northern passengers.

For once, the problem is not the highly unpopular Langton Dock cruise terminal, surrounded by a scrapheap and voted by passengers as one of the UK’s worst.

Nigel Lingard, Fred Olsen Cruise Lines marketing director, said: “There will be no more cruises from Liverpool after mid-2011 and none in 2012.

“We feel too nervous about the current docking facility to keep it in our programme.

“Until we feel more secure about turning around in the city, we do not plan to come back.

“Our team do not feel comfortable with a ship based here as matters stand. It is too hazardous.

“The pilots can easily say to us at any time there is too much risk in controlling the ship in a 20-knot wind.

“That will then throw the whole cruise schedule out.

“It would not be a problem if the liner could come alongside Liverpool Cruise Terminal on the river, but we are banned except in an emergency.

“We still cannot unload passengers until we come into Langton Dock.

“Liverpool is our busiest northern port and third busiest after Southampton and Dover.

“We understand every effort was made to find a solution, but we live in hope.”

Ironically, Fred Olsen Cruise Lines believes there is enough business to base Boudicca in Liverpool all year.

Boudicca was hit by a severe outbreak of norovirus sickness a few weeks ago on a 21-night cruise from Liverpool to Turkey.

Mr Lingard said that was resolved by deep cleansing, including replacing mattresses and soft furnishings.

Liverpool council leader Cllr Joe Anderson, a former seaman, appealled to Fred Olsen Cruise Lines to not be hasty in deciding to pull out.

He said: “We should not send away people who want to do business with us.

“We are discussing the predicament with Mersey Docks’ owner Peel Ports and will meet again within two weeks.

“I will contact Fred Olsen’s managers to ask for a breathing space.

“I do not want them to write us out of their schedules because I will work extremely hard for them to use Liverpool Cruise Terminal.”

liverpoolecho.co.uk

I for one was saddend to hear Fred Olsen is to pull out of Liverpool. Coming from nr Blackpool 45mins and we are at Langton Dock. We have cruised 4times on FO ships sailing from LIVERPOOL. There are going to be a lot of people that will miss this port Come on Fred Have a heart. I dont travel well so our cruising days are numbered so glad we have booked a cruise in April next year.

Chrissy.:mad:

First of all, well done to Blackpool for getting into the Prem - see you at Anfield next season! :D

Not sure why Fred Olsen can't use the Liverpool Cruise Terminal, which is most central, not living there for many years I have not kept up with the news a smuch as I should have, but this will be a blow to the city, which is why this councillor is hoping to persuade the Peel ports to allow the ship to dock there

First of all, well done to Blackpool for getting into the Prem - see you at Anfield next season! :D

Not sure why Fred Olsen can't use the Liverpool Cruise Terminal, which is most central, not living there for many years I have not kept up with the news a smuch as I should have, but this will be a blow to the city, which is why this councillor is hoping to persuade the Peel ports to allow the ship to dock there

The problem with the Cruise Terminal is the way the money was obtained to build it, because European money was used, there is some issue over competition with Southampton, typical, that the south of the country always wants the icing on the cake - they already have their fair share of cruise liners but obviously they are scared that Liverpool will become more successful!

I am not surprised Fred Olsen want to pull out, the cruise terminal at the Langton Dock is nothing more than a shed and you have to navigate your way through tons of scrap metal heaps to get there - not very conducive to the start of a holiday. There is also the lock to negotiate for the ship and in high winds that becomes problematic.

They do their best at the dock - it's not their fault, but the whole situation with this new cruise terminal is a joke. The sooner the new council get to grips with it the better.

I too am a scouser and feel it a great shame that the city is being let down in this way - I am sailing in April on Boudicca so I am hopeful that they don't axe that cruise. I suspect we may find ourselves travelling to Greenock in future!

The problem with the Cruise Terminal is the way the money was obtained to build it, because European money was used, there is some issue over competition with Southampton, typical, that the south of the country always wants the icing on the cake - they already have their fair share of cruise liners but obviously they are scared that Liverpool will become more successful!

I am not surprised Fred Olsen want to pull out, the cruise terminal at the Langton Dock is nothing more than a shed and you have to navigate your way through tons of scrap metal heaps to get there - not very conducive to the start of a holiday. There is also the lock to negotiate for the ship and in high winds that becomes problematic.

They do their best at the dock - it's not their fault, but the whole situation with this new cruise terminal is a joke. The sooner the new council get to grips with it the better.

I too am a scouser and feel it a great shame that the city is being let down in this way - I am sailing in April on Boudicca so I am hopeful that they don't axe that cruise. I suspect we may find ourselves travelling to Greenock in future!

hail fellow scouser! lovely part of the country you are now residing in :)

I found another article, which explains a bit more. It's a typical lack of foresight on behalf of planners that this has occurred - a bit like the fact that the city never capitalised on its famous four sons until about 30 years later!

Liverpool Airport could come to the rescue of the cruise lines

May 27 2010 by Alistair Houghton, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL John Lennon Airport should start handling cruise liner check-ins to stop business deserting the city.

John Cooper, Liverpool Cruise Club’s sales and marketing manager, said Liverpool is getting left behind by the most successful holiday sector.

“It’s nonsensical that as a city building its status as a tourist destination, we are turning away its biggest sector.

“The amount of ships arriving here compared to five years ago by just putting a shed on a pontoon is terrific.

“Imagine what would happen if we built a proper facility?

“Someone needs to have a serious sit- down and with the public spending cuts coming in it will be up to the private sector here, which means Peel Holdings.

“Even if this is resolved, we need the facilities to cope, so the Peel-owned airport is the ideal solution as it has check-ins, car parking and easy access to the city centre.”

Meantime, news that Fred Olsen Cruise Lines was abandoning its Liverpool cruise base was “appalling”.

Mr Cooper said: “It’s a really major blow that Fred Olsen Cruise Lines is pulling out.

“The fact that its Boudicca sells out and Cruise & Maritime’s Ocean Countess sells out is like putting bricks down the runway at Liverpool Airport and expecting planes still to land.

“We’ve got all the demand ready-made here. What the city misses out on is cruise and stay.

“The amount of passengers we send on holiday for cruise and stays is phenomenal.

“Yet there’s nothing to see in Southampton, as it’s only a port.

“Liverpool is a destination in own right. We should be able to say to cruise passengers ‘Come and see what’s here before and after’.

“Our cruising market from Liverpool has held up very well through the recession, thanks to Fred Olsen doubling its cruises from Liverpool.

“There’s been very little space left on any of the cruises because of the popularity of being able to go from Liverpool.

“All we have left on Christmas cruises are the outside cabins.”

Liverpool is the best-selling port for Cruise & Maritime maiden season with Ocean Countess, 17,000 gross tons.

The company reports that Tilbury, Hull and Newcastle are already promoting late offers, but Liverpool has practically sold out at original prices.

“The ships which are coming in are doing very well,” said Mr Cooper.

“The only thing which really lets us down is the Langton Dock Cruise Terminal.

“Fred Olsen doubles its capacity with Boudicca, and Langton adds two mobile cabins.

“I was in Southampton for the naming of P&O Cruises’ Azura, and its facilities are fantastic.

“We should have something better than a scrapheap wrapping around Langton Cruise Terminal.

“Liverpool Cruise Terminal has only been built to let day trippers on and off.

“We could use the old Isle of Man Steam Packet plot at the Pier Head for a proper terminal. It could include rooftop restaurants and viewing platforms so it’s a destination on the waterfront.

“It’s already a good place to be down there with so many hotels in that area.

“I go to Greenock quite a bit and see the operation there all the time.

“The amount of business Greenock gets from passengers and crew wandering around shopping is astonishing.

“How can a town the size of Greenock thrive, when a port with the international reputation of Liverpool now can’t handle an average-sized cruise ship turnaround?

“Our city’s history and wealth was built on handling huge volumes of passenger ship traffic.

“Now the likes of P&O and Royal Caribbean are bringing out huge liners and they’re all going down south.”

Yes I saw the article and thought what a sensible suggestion it was and how well it could work. At least someone at the airport has got their head on the right way and can see the possibilities. Liverpool could really capitalise on bringing people in for a few days either side of their cruise to enjoy the city and what it has to offer.

As a child I watched so many big liners (including my father's) coming and going from the Pier Head, the Reina del Mar, the Canadian Pacific boats, etc and would love to see that again. I know we get the odd visit from present day cruise liners but it is not the same as a regular service.

I think it is good that Olsen has put this jolt on the powers that be and hopefully it will prompt Peel and the City Council to try and sort something out. It is no hassle for me to go to Greenock from where I now live but I would much rather sail from my home city.

I didn't realise until this news broke what a pitiful effort the Liverpool Cruise terminal really was! I thought it was in the centre of town and was really hoping that at some time in the not too distant future we could look forward to sailing from Liverpool, less than fifty miles from home.

What a wasted opportunity this is.

Liverpool should be marketing itself as a cruise venue on a par with Halifax NS, as the other end of the historic Transatlantic connection.

Imagine stepping off a cruise ship docked opposite the majestic three graces, boarding the HOHO Buses and seeing all that the city has to offer. The city has many attractions to offer as a walk ashore, see in a day, port of call. Shorexes into North Wales or even the Lake District would be an ideal showcase for the region's superb tourist attractions. Liverpool's maritime history should make it a premier attraction and as reported above, they should, along with Manchester Airport be capitalising on the air connections. Manchester is an excellent traffic hub and Liverpool Airport could expand its operation to attract the cruise market.

I would dearly love to be able to cruise from the North West but I now suspect this will not really happen.

Now if Peel could do a little work on the Manchester Ship Canal and bring liners into Manchester, then we could really be talking................ :D

They could even drop passengers off at the Trafford Centre (which they also own)

Why doesn,t Fred Olsen use the Birkenhead or Woodside Ferry Terminal,the Irish Ferries and Manx come in there so no turn round problems,good motorway connections ,parking ,nice modern terminal.

Come on bosses at FO.,use some imaginative thinking and stuff the Liverpool gang that want to hold you to ransom.:D

Why doesn,t Fred Olsen use the Birkenhead or Woodside Ferry Terminal,the Irish Ferries and Manx come in there so no turn round problems,good motorway connections ,parking ,nice modern terminal.

Come on bosses at FO.,use some imaginative thinking and stuff the Liverpool gang that want to hold you to ransom.:D

The Mersey Landing Stages at Woodside (Birkenhead) are only designed for a vessel the size of the Mersey Ferries - about 600grt!

The Twelve Quays Terminal used by Norfolkline is intensively used. Besides the two berths are designed for ro/ro use. How are you going to get the passengers on board?

Passengers on the Irish sailings either drive on in their own vehicles or are bussed on if going by foot.

The Isle of Man Terminal is part of the city cruise terminal and is also intensively used and with the linkspan pontoon in place can't handle a cruise ship. Though a few have berthed at this when the pontoon has not been inplace.

As someone who lives in Liverpool I find the news FO is pulling out disappointing. But Peel Ports do plan their own cruise stage to be constructed in the vascinity of Salisbury Dock as part of the Liverpool Waters Development. However, what the the timescale is for this stage is not known. The next Peel development to go ahead will be the new on river container berth.

Having done two trips with FO from Langton and two from Southampton I can put up with the drive south, it doesn't take that long!

John

Oh well, that idea out then,the only answer is for Fred to get BP back from the UN were shes being used as accommodation in Haiti.:D

Ahh Bless the Black Prince i loved that ship would be nice but sadly i dont see it happening. Come on Fred Olsen easy way out get a smaller ship so we can continuesailing from Liverpool dock coming from Blackpool area its a treck down to Southampton for us and may besides us

Chrissy,

Its a real shame that Fred is gonna pull out of Liverpool, we live just south of Preston so Liverpool is ideal for us (I originally come from the Wirral) I do not fancy the trek to southampton and a friend that cruises with us would not be able to make the journey so we will have to look for alternatives. COME ON FRED WE DON'T WANT YOU TO GO.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is with Liverpool council and Peel Holdings.

Liverpool has a huge catchment area for people who like to go cruising.

Langton does its best, but it really is the pits - in scrap heap heaven, and it is so remote from anywhere that even the taxi drivers get lost trying to find it.

What Liverpool needs to bear in mind that cruise ships changing over passengers do bring in custom for the area - a lot of intending passengers will stay over before or after a cruise, and will therefore spend more money potentially than passengers on a day's cruise call (who will be bussed away to Chester, North Wales, etc.).

The white elephant cruise pier on the river was a huge wasted opportunity, and cheapskating on it so that European funding could be obtained was really a no-brainer.

Come on, get your acts together, otherwise you will lose a lot of people to other ports - and not just Southampton.

The answer is with Liverpool council and Peel Holdings.

More Liverpool City Council than Peel.

Peel have promised an on river privately financed landing stage north of the present landing stage to service cruise ship turn arounds as part of its "Liverpool Waters" development project.

Only problem is that completion of LIverpool Waters when first announced around 2007 was 50 years. So many of us might be quite old when it finally appears.

Liverpool City Council knew what they were buying into as did most of the local NW England ship enthusiasts.

It was made clear at the time the new stage was for calls NOT turnarounds.

For some reason whilst ship enthusiasts were aware of the limitations some of the cruise lines appeared not to be - or pretended not be.

John

What was that big cruise ship I saw in Liverpool last year. Was it QM something. Funny, was that not once the biggest in the world and would eat any FO ship for breakfast?

David.

The Queen Mary 2 did indeed call at the Pier Head last October, as did the QE2 the year before, but they were on calls rather than originating cruises. There are no facilities for customs & baggage handling at the Pier Head. Cunard did have special dispensation to allow 100 passengers to board/disembark in Liverpool on last years QM2 Round Britain cruise, but the whole experience was appallingly managed........if they can't handle 100, there is no way the Pier Head facility can handle 800 or so Boudicca passengers.

This isn't strictly true capacity wise.

There exist handling facilities on the original sectiom of Prince's Landing Stage used by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company scheduled services to handle loadings of up to 800 or so pax. This is directly connected to the new cruise terminal section.

Of course it would probably mean that on the day of a turn around the Steam Packet would probably have to drop at least one of its scheduled calls (up to two per day in season) - but there is waiting room and check-in counter which could be used for check in.

John

Archived