To all non-tippers!

I do agree with you, however, my comment was more metaphoric than anything. RCI has a policy of tipping. That is reality. Everyone goes in to it knowing tips are expected. Therefore, regardless of where you are from, you should follow those guidelines. Likewise, if RCI changes it's policies on European cruises, we should also all follow those guidelines.

I don't think "everyone" goes in knowing tips are expected. I grew up travelling with my family a lot and when I went on my first cruise in college, I had no idea that tips were "expected." If you don't travel a lot, or it's not part of your culture, why would you know that? And if I left on a cruise out of Europe, I would definitely expect the tipping guidelines to be different because I know that the expectations there are different. American standards don't apply everywhere, nor should they.

I don't think "everyone" goes in knowing tips are expected. I grew up travelling with my family a lot and when I went on my first cruise in college, I had no idea that tips were "expected." If you don't travel a lot, or it's not part of your culture, why would you know that? And if I left on a cruise out of Europe, I would definitely expect the tipping guidelines to be different because I know that the expectations there are different. American standards don't apply everywhere, nor should they.

For our first cruise, we were told by the TA about tipping. I never thought of it as an "American standard", I just thought of it as a "Cruising standard". I had been to all-inclusives and it didn't surprise me that cruising was different.

Yea, I guess you're right. I would imagine not everyone is actually aware of all that's expected from them. I'm sure most are, though.

I whole heartedly agree with the rest. We should not force our tipping culture in a different area. Unfortunately, I think those who preceded us have already spoiled many of the tour guides. Who knows what's next?

Yea, I guess you're right. I would imagine not everyone is actually aware of all that's expected from them. I'm sure most are, though.

I whole heartedly agree with the rest. We should not force our tipping culture in a different area. Unfortunately, I think those who preceded us have already spoiled many of the tour guides. Who knows what's next?

I am one of those travelers who obsessively reads everything I can about wherever I'm going, as I want to make sure I'm aware of traditions/etc. But I know not everyone is as anal as I am. :) I don't know what the answer is.

My DH & I were on the SOS Apr.07 from San Juan to San Francisco. First night in MDR we were seated at a table for 10 with only one other couple showing up. After that dinner I told my DH that I would order room service every night rather than sit with this couple for 14 days. Next morning at breakfast our head waiter waited on us. My DH took him aside and explained the situation and he took him to the Maitre'd. That night we were seated at another table for 10 with 4 couples and had the time of our life. The Maitre'd came by every night to inquire about us and our head waiter was awesome as was our assistant waiter. This time we really tipped the Maitre'd and our head waiter above and beyond because they cared and took care of us. Most of the time you only see the Maitre'd one or two nights the entire cruise if that many. Even in Texas we always overtip if the service warrants it.

we just got off our first cruise on RCL Monarch. we only dined one night in the main dining room. our head attendant was nicer and helpful than our waiter. we did tip them both for the one night. (food wasn't good)

we tiped our room attendant, windjammer waiter (we were there all the time, got to know him very well) we tipped him good.

the one that stood out more than any other was our Greeter. he went above and beyond to greet every person who walked in. he gave us suggestions on what shows to watch or miss. excursion etc...he got the biggest tip.

I don't mind tipping more if the serves is good. :)

When in Rome, do as......

Part of travel is to familiarize yourself with the local customs and go along with it, don't assume that if it's okay at home, it's okay everywhere else.

If you can't do that then stay home. (and no, I'm not talking about you, just a general observation....:) )

But that should work both ways don't you think?

Tipping is not customary for many people such as Australians, Brits and many Asians, so should crew respect our customs as well?

Tipping is not customary for many people such as Australians, Brits and many Asians, so should crew respect our customs as well?

It's customary on the ship. I don't tip on the ship just because I tip at home, I tip because it is in the guidelines.

I recently wrote to Royal Caribbean asking them for a final answer on tipping. I told them I usually tip but if it's not really expected, I won't. I also asked them if I could post their response here. No answer as of yet.

I really wasn't going to post here but I guess I should. We were on another cruiseline in January and for the first time we did not tip the head waiter. Even though we know he works behind the scenes making sure everything is going as smoothly as possible we never saw him. We are use to the Maitre'd on the RCL ship we sail on who makes it a point to visit each and every table at least twice during the cruise, usually more often if time permits. So on our last cruise everyone received their usual tip except for the head waiter.

It's customary on the ship. I don't tip on the ship just because I tip at home, I tip because it is in the guidelines.

I recently wrote to Royal Caribbean asking them for a final answer on tipping. I told them I usually tip but if it's not really expected, I won't. I also asked them if I could post their response here. No answer as of yet.

I do agree with you. However, if a company is going to base its business in a certain country, for example Independence in Britain, I can see the point that they have an obligation to conform to the customs of the society that they are operating in. I don't think that a society should have to conform to the customs of a foreign business that has decided to set up shop within its country's boundaries.

I do agree with you. However, if a company is going to base its business in a certain country, for example Independence in Britain, I can see the point that they have an obligation to conform to the customs of the society that they are operating in. I don't think that a society should have to conform to the customs of a foreign business that has decided to set up shop within its country's boundaries.

Yes, I would agree with that, but I don't want to be one of the few people tipping hundreds of dollars on a Med cruise (as I did) just because I am an American. They should have guidelines that apply to all cruisers on a ship, not just certain nationalities.

If I were to sail on a cruiseline whose main office was based in Australia, UK, or Asia, then I would agree, but I would find out the individual cruiseline's tipping policy first. Royal Caribbean's main office is based in Miami, Florida, USA so they are considered an "American" cruiseline whether they sail from US ports or elsewhere in the world.

Something I find interesting is the following quote taken directly from the P&O cruiseline website. P&O, as I understand it, is generally considered a "British" cruiseline. They also mention recommended tipping amounts. It sounds similar to RC's recommended tipping policy. P&O offers some cruises leaving from Port Everglades, but I don't consider them to be "American".

First of all, please do not worry about it. Who, when and how much you tip is at your discretion. Tips are usually given in cash at the end of your holiday to your stateroom Steward, Restaurant Stewards in the Club Dining restaurants, and to any other staff who you feel you wish to reward. The amount you tip is entirely up to you although, as a guide, we recommend a total amount per person (aged 12 and over) of £3.10 per day, which covers all staff who have looked after you during your holiday. The only exception to this is for passengers travelling on Oceana and Ventura who have opted to enjoy the flexibility of Freedom Dining as, with this style of dining, you may be seated at a different table and served by a different waiter on each occasion. We will therefore add an automatic service charge of £1.60 per passenger, per day to your shipboard account for the Restaurant Stewards. You will, of course, be able to increase or decrease this charge at your discretion by visiting Reception at any point during your cruise. You can also tip any other staff, including your stateroom Steward, as you feel appropriate. Further details of who and when you should tip can be found in your stateroom.

I found the following on the MSC website. I realize that MSC is Italian, but their policy sounds similar to Holland America (based in Seattle, Washington, USA) policy. MSC offers cruises from Fort Lauderdale.

Q: How much should I tip?

A: Tipping is a personal matter and your own judgment is the best guide. For your convenience MSC Cruises will automatically add a modest service charge to your onboard account. It will be based on the number of days in which services are actually rendered and vary by itinerary:

Caribbean and Eastbound Transatlantic sailings: $12.00 USD per adult per day.

Mediterranean, Northern Europe and Westbound Transatlantic sailings: €uro 7.00 per adult per day.

Per person per day service charge for children under the age of 18 will be 50% less. Service charges are subject to change and may vary based on the ship’s onboard currency.

Should you wish to make adjustments you may do so by contacting the Guest Relation Manager at any point during your cruise. MSC Cruises does not recommend tipping individually any member of the personnel on board as this is already included in the service charge.

Is tipping/service charges becoming a cruise industry standard and not just for "American" cruiselines? Or are European based cruiselines posting tipping information on their websites to get the Americans who don't know the countries' standards to tip their staff?

Is tipping/service charges becoming a cruise industry standard and not just for "American" cruiselines? Or are European based cruiselines posting tipping information on their websites to get the Americans who don't know the countries' standards to tip their staff?

I would think it is for everyone, not just Americans, and I would follow the guidelines. My problem with the "guidelines" is that they seem to only apply to certain groups of people. It's either yes, you should tip, or no, it's not necessary. Royal is trying to have it both ways and I find it annoying.

On my very first RCI cruise I did not tip the cabin steward. He never showed up, never made or turned down the bed, did not clean our room, or get us fresh towels, until the last day when I went to the Hotel director and complained. I think I had every right not to leave a tip! I was furious.

On my very first RCI cruise I did not tip the cabin steward. He never showed up, never made or turned down the bed, did not clean our room, or get us fresh towels, until the last day when I went to the Hotel director and complained. I think I had every right not to leave a tip! I was furious.

Yes, agreed: tips should only be given provided the service is good. The bigger issue is whether or not the guidelines are "expected". That was my question to Royal: is tipping expected or is it really just an option? Because plenty of people treat it as an option. That's fine, I just want to know their answer.

There are lots of arguments between Americans & non-Americans regarding tipping and it is all just trivia. The issue is with Royal and how they present tipping. Americans seem to view the guidelines as black and white and tip accordingly, while Europeans and Australians seem to be more discriminating about the issue. Royal is happy to sit back and get tips from those who think it is not an option; obviously it subsidizes the optional tippers and now that more ships are going to Europe, it is going to be more of an issue.

I suspect it is very difficult for a corporation to change company policy and pay procedures on individual ships. I remember reading something about Indy changing it's tipping policy, but I don't know what ever came of that.

Something I find interesting is the following quote taken directly from the P&O cruiseline website. P&O, as I understand it, is generally considered a "British" cruiseline. They also mention recommended tipping amounts. It sounds similar to RC's recommended tipping policy. P&O offers some cruises leaving from Port Everglades, but I don't consider them to be "American".

P&O is a Carnival Corp cruise line. Perhaps, that has something to do with their tipping policies. Just a hunch.

I just have one question. Why did you wait until the last day to complain :confused:

Personally, I would have been on the phone the FIRST evening I did not get room service, but that just me.....

Something I learnt last week:

The 15% added to all bar tabs is pooled and split amongst the 40 bar tenders aboard Explorer. The 15% added to bar bills that are brought to you around the pool area is not pooled that goes straight to the waiter that took your order and brought your drink to you.

Interesting......So tips on all bar tabs are pooled, but tips on some of the bar tabs are not pooled. Makes sense.

I hate to break it to you, though, but you see messages like this all the time, with people saying, "I know how it works, because I have a friend....." Very rarely do you see two different people's friends having the same answer, though.

Okay, I confess... I LOATHE tipping. With a deadly passion! To me, I see it as a cultural creep of 'acceptable begging' or 'personalized bribery'. There. I said it. Flame away.

Since I immigrated to the USA from a non-tipping country (South Africa) many years ago, I naturally did the 'when in Rome..' policy towards tipping. Nevertheless, I detest it. I hate having to add a little extra cash to people for 'simply doing their jobs'. Their job description states a certain thing...I am a customer... they do their job (be it reaching around for a beer in bar or bringing me my dinner etc)... and I pay for the service. But having to dole 20% extra for service from poor to mediocre to 'just okay' just gets me riled up!

And for those people who say...'well you have to tip those people regardless as they earn a low wage'... my response is 'Dont make your problems my problem' .. take it up with your boss to get him to pay you properly for what you are worth!

Now, I certainly believe in tipping for exceptional service. That service that is 'above and beyond' what is expected as normal service. What a pleasure to be dealt well - and I do tip well in those cases.

I just work too damn hard for my money - to simply give it away.

I just have never gotten used to tipping another person simply for them having done their job...

This is what the rest of the world in non-tipping cultures probably feel....

Phew! I certainly feel better getting this off my chest. And if you think I am a cheapskate, low-life etc etc - then you must have mistaken me for someone who cares. :D

I guess your preference is to pay a higher price for the meal so that the restaurant can pay the person more rather than pay a lower price plus a tip that makes the total equal to the higher priced meal. I guess I see it as $20 is still equal to $16 plus $4 tip.

I'm just starting to read this thread, so this may be redundant with what others have posted. I talked to our assistant waiter on the Rhapsody last year when the ship was relocating to Australia for the cruise season there starting in October. He told me that many crew members try to transfer back to ships sailing from US ports, because the Australians are such terrible tippers. Like one of the early posters on this thread stated, Aussies have a higher base salary, so people employed in service jobs are paid more and do not require regular tipping. He said Aussies just don't tip as it's not part of their culture, and the crew members lose so much income that they try to go back to the US cruise ports. This, of course, is after the Rhapsody does the Alaska cruises which are HUGE with US passengers. He said Americans "get it" and tip generously.

I have known since we started cruising in 1973 that the ship's crew do NOT get paid a living wage; their tips ARE their living wage. Except for management positions, tips are how they get compensated for their work. So, I'll read the rest of this thread, but I cannot see why anyone on an RCCL ship would think it unecessary to tip the staff once they are educated to the facts: regardless of their home culture regarding tipping.

Oh, I can think of a few reasons why people that really know better don't tip. Same reasons that people cheat on their taxes.

I guess your preference is to pay a higher price for the meal so that the restaurant can pay the person more rather than pay a lower price plus a tip that makes the total equal to the higher priced meal. I guess I see it as $20 is still equal to $16 plus $4 tip.

I would rather pay the $20 with no tipping. That way everyone pay their fair share.

Some tip, some don't.

I think those that love tipping really just like the staff kissing their butts to get a tip.

I just have one question. Why did you wait until the last day to complain :confused:

Personally, I would have been on the phone the FIRST evening I did not get room service, but that just me.....

Nope, not just you!

I would rather pay the $20 with no tipping. That way everyone pay their fair share.

Some tip, some don't.

I think those that love tipping really just like the staff kissing their butts to get a tip.

Seriously? I don't need anyone to kiss my butt, and if they do, they're more likely to get less of a tip. I imagine some people LOVE to tip because it makes them feel good that they can repay someone for their good service, or they LOVE to tip because it's a nice thing to do, or they LOVE to tip because the person did something nice and they deserve to be recognized. I'm more likely to tip someone to stay the heck out of my way and let me enjoy my meal in peace.

Archived