Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Fore on the Floor - thanks for the link (I have saved as a favorite)! Yes, the HD-1000 looks like the way to go. $399 is a reasonable price. It would be great to have your videos rock solid stable like professional productions!

Tim- also thanks for the link on the external microphone. I'll have to check out the SONY accessories and see if I can find a similar external mic.

Paul - thanks for the info. I'll also have to try the bulit in zoom setting for the camera's mic. As with my editing software (Pinnacle HD Utlimate 14), guess I'm not realizing the potential of my camera either :o...

Marty

Thanks Ron for the link. I didn't see my version of Pinnacle on the list. However, it caused me to go back and see exactly what I have.

I apologize, I thought I had Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14 HD, but I only have version 12 :o. Wow, I'm already behind..time to upgrade :cool:.

Still, my version 12 handles the HVCHD format (for full 1080 HD), no problem. But, may be time to get the extra "bells & whistles" with Ultimate 14 HD.

Marty

Tim - I noticed the same thing. I'm a little skeptical that 95% buy that particular editing software.

Mmmm, the "Top Ten" list...brought to you by Cyber Link?

Marty

That was one of the thoughts I had. I had actually never heard of the software. Granted, I have always had a Mac. I would think Adobe would have a greater market share since they are known for their photo and video software.

Tim

Tim - I noticed the same thing. I'm a little skeptical that 95% buy that particular editing software.

Mmmm, the "Top Ten" list...brought to you by Cyber Link?

Marty

I too am a little skepital of the percentages quoted, but the article does allow a side-by-side comparison of the features offered by various programs.

Ron

Thanks again Ron for posting that link.

I'm encouraged...the lower Pinnacle Studio fared pretty well on that list (#5), so the higher versions should fare even better. I was reading about the newest Pinnacle Ultimate Studio HD 14, and they say this version is much more user friendly.

Need to upgrade to 14 (and buy my Glidecam HD-1000 ;)) before our Carnival Ecstasy cruise July 10th!

Marty

Thanks again Ron for posting that link.

I'm encouraged...the lower Pinnacle Studio fared pretty well on that list (#5), so the higher versions should fare even better. I was reading about the newest Pinnacle Ultimate Studio HD 14, and they say this version is much more user friendly.

Need to upgrade to 14 (and buy my Glidecam HD-1000 ;)) before our Carnival Ecstasy cruise July 10th!

Marty

I took a look at a few of the programs. Interesting to see how similar Pinnacle is to iMovie. I think the software makers are trying to makes these basic video editing programs much easier for the average person to us. The professional stuff is not as intuitive. For me starting to use Final Cut was a much bigger learning curve than iMovie.

Has anyone found a free site like youtube that allows you to upload vidoes longer than 10 minutes? I have used vimeo to get around the audio issues on youtube, but am still limited to the size. Below is the video I put together from our chef's table.

http://vimeo.com/user3747282/videos

Tim

I took a look at a few of the programs. Interesting to see how similar Pinnacle is to iMovie. I think the software makers are trying to makes these basic video editing programs much easier for the average person to us. The professional stuff is not as intuitive. For me starting to use Final Cut was a much bigger learning curve than iMovie.

Has anyone found a free site like youtube that allows you to upload vidoes longer than 10 minutes? I have used vimeo to get around the audio issues on youtube, but am still limited to the size. Below is the video I put together from our chef's table.

Tim

You can check out http://blip.tv/ that's where I went after google video closed up.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Awesome slideshow & beautiful, clear pics. I ran into the 10 min wall also w/Photobucket (free version), but I upgraded it (I think it was around $25) and now I believe I can post videos more than 10 min.

That being said, I'm kind of in the mind-set to keep doing "parts", about 6-7 min each, for the longer videos. You'll notice, my very first video (on our Med Cruise on the Carnival Dream) is exactly 10 min; I had to edit it down because it was before I upgraded on Photobucket.

Also, I did notice the "copyright police" on YouTube and that your selected music may get deleted. No worries about that on Photobucket. Also- Photobucket uploads on Cruise Critic just fine...

Marty

Hi Tim,

Awesome slideshow & beautiful, clear pics. I ran into the 10 min wall also w/Photobucket (free version), but I upgraded it (I think it was around $25) and now I believe I can post videos more than 10 min.

That being said, I'm kind of in the mind-set to keep doing "parts", about 6-7 min each, for the longer videos. You'll notice, my very first video (on our Med Cruise on the Carnival Dream) is exactly 10 min; I had to edit it down because it was before I upgraded on Photobucket.

Also, I did notice the "copyright police" on YouTube and that your selected music may get deleted. No worries about that on Photobucket. Also- Photobucket uploads on Cruise Critic just fine...

Marty

Marty - One of the big reasons I put that video on Vimeo was that I did not have to deal with the copyright issues. I have the same video on youtube, but the audio has been "disabled":(

I have thought about making various parts to the trip. Down side is that my final product is a DVD of the cruise and I can not upload just part of it. Guess, I should try making a few 10 minute parts to some of this. I am sure I could use more of the video I took.....maybe a project for a raining day (or one that will be 95 like today...)

Click on http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com for a comparison of the top ten selling video editing software programs.

Ron

Here's a recent list from Amazon of their best selling video editors of the moment. Vegas Movie Studio 10 is at the top of the list but I had no idea there was a Version 10 yet? .. There are so many versions of everything that it is hard to follow. - Paul

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/software/567572

Here is a link to the lastest Vegas Movie Studio Package. This package is a tremendous value and offers "near" the professional product for much much less. I doubt many of us would need more than this offers. Free Download trial.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp

Paul - thanks for the links. I downloaded the free-trial to give it a test spin. Decisions, decisions :cool:...

Tim - yeah, YouTube seems weird like that. Sometime they "disable" the audio, other times, they just post what the song is and how to buy it :confused:.

Btw, I noticed that you have predominately sailed Princess . How did you like them? We're think of sailing Diamond Princess in Alaska, summer 2011.

Marty

Paul - thanks for the links. I downloaded the free-trial to give it a test spin. Decisions, decisions :cool:...

Tim - yeah, YouTube seems weird like that. Sometime they "disable" the audio, other times, they just post what the song is and how to buy it :confused:.

Btw, I noticed that you have predominately sailed Princess . How did you like them? We're think of sailing Diamond Princess in Alaska, summer 2011.

Marty

If you have any questions about Vegas or Princess just let us know. I would be more then happy to help, as I am sure Paul would be.

Marty

The youtube issue is with a conflict between youtube and Werner Music Group (WMG) who own a whole lot of music. Some they allow in youtube and other music they do not. I agree it is funny how they try and sell you the music. Can not put certain songs on youtube, but I can burn it to a DVD and send it to anyone I want. Go figure.

We have really enjoyed Princess. We do tend to be on the young side (we are in our 30s), but have always had a great time on Princess. We like what they offer. Good food, nice ships, good service. Now we do not have much to compare it to, but we have really enjoyed Princess. Disney was nice, but it is really expensive compared to Princess. We have not been to Alaska yet, but have heard good things about Princess and Alaska (if they would just stop sending me good offers to go in a few weeks, life would be better....:confused::confused:) Price has always been good and they let me bring wine onboard...I am not a fan of the really larger ships (e.g. Oasis of the Sea or Freedom of the Seas) No there are not waterslides or rock climbing walls on Princess, but that is not on our lists of musts. We took DD who is 5 and she loved Princess and their kids program. Thinking of taking her again early next year. I think the best ships on Princess are the Coral and Island Princesses. Both are the same design and panamax ships, but the size and amenities are great. Little worried about their new builds as they are bigger than the current modified grand class ships and I think those ships (e.g. Crown Princess) are big enough. Diamond Princess is one of two Princess ships build in Japan. Have not been on them yet, but they are smaller than they modified grand class (Not by much, but..) We are considering her sister, Sapphire Princess, of our next cruise.

Tim

Tim, thanks for your feedbcak on Princess. I saw where the Coral & the Island also sail Alaska (cruisetours). I was leaning toward the bigger ship Diamond, because we plan on bringing my 2 sons and the Diamond seems to have larger kids areas/pools. I like the way the ship has a retractable roof over one of the pools, so you can still go swimming even in Alaska!

How were the demographics with Princess? Was there a wide-range of ages or was it a mostly an older crowd (e.g. HAL)? Speaking of "older" crowd, we're getting there :eek:. We're not in our 30's anymore, and are in our 40's (where on the 40 scale I refuse to say :cool:).

Anyway, Princess really looks like they have it together with Alaska, with the cruisetours. I like the way you can choose a tour that also includes air flight back to Seattle (from Anchorage or Fairbanks), so you can book a roundtrip flight to Seattle.

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read all the previous posts so I am just going to interject. I found Sony Vegas way to much work. I bought it and tried it out but it did to much. Most of the features I did not need.

I have the Cyberlink Powerdirector. It came with my JVC camera a few years back and I have been using it ever since.

It is fairly simple but does not have a few effects that I wanted.

I use Pinnacle Ultimate. I'm pretty new to video editing, but so far, I like what I've got. I think it was just over $100 at Best Buy. I'm still on a learning curve and don't think I've tapped into the full potential of Pinnacle Ultimate.

I have been using Pinnacle Studio starting with Version 8 and now 14. They often offer upgrades that end up either being free or less than $20! An example video is at

For simpler videos, where I have mostly photos and few video clips, I use the free Windows Live Movie Maker. I take video clips with my regular camera in between shooting pictures. Example video is at

Longer videos are at http://www.vimeo.com/user2882073/videos

Matj2000 - thanks for the info. Perhaps there are upgrades for the Cyberlink Powerdirector as well, which may give you some of the bells & whistles you want.

dileep - thanks. I have Pinnacle Ultimate 12, but now want to upgrade to 14. I will look on their web-site and see if I can get it at a discount.

Marty

dileep - thanks. I have Pinnacle Ultimate 12, but now want to upgrade to 14. I will look on their web-site and see if I can get it at a discount.

Marty

Usually the double rebate offer is at the store. I usually buy at Frys (www.frys.com). Idon't think that there is enough new in 14 to pay for the upgrade.

One day I hope to own a Mac. But for now it's still a PC. I keep asking myself. Get a Mac or go on a cruise? Cruises always wins :o I do Thank You two for a quick answer and will look into the Corel program. It's silly but I never thought about the hardware I have. I my need a new computer.

If you are looking at a new computer anyway, I would highly recommend a MAC. We bought an iMac in December. I used to have Pinnacle Studio for video editing on our PC. I can now KICK myself for all the time I wasted - considering the time and money I could have saved with the ease of use on the MAC. The quality difference is also beyond comparison. :D I always thought Mac people were just snobs, but I am now sold out to this user friendly system! If you live in a city with a Mac store, do yourself a favor. Sign up for a workshop. They are free and you don't have to own a Mac... you will probably walk out with a Mac in your hand though.

I can definitely identify with the Cruise vs. Mac argument :)

Usually the double rebate offer is at the store. I usually buy at Frys (www.frys.com). Idon't think that there is enough new in 14 to pay for the upgrade.

Thanks dileep, good advice. I don't think I've even tapped in to the full potential of 12 yet, so maybe I won't worry about 14. Plus, I'm sure another version (16?, 18?) is just around the corner.

I'll save the $$ and use it on our upcoming cruise! Thanks again...

Marty

Archived