Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Hi Tony,

Thanks for sharing, interesting piece, and I like the captions throughout to tell you what is being shown. Venice is a really beautiful place.

One thing I really missed was a sound track with some fitting music instead of the original camera audio. Any way you could add some music to the piece?

Ted

Hi Ted

Thanks. I thought hard about a music track for it, and will certainly put one on the other videos I make from Venice (and all the other port from that cruise). In the end I decided to let the chugging of the vap and any of the passenger comments be the soundtrack, as it was when we (or anyone) did it.

Also, it saved me trying to find 11 mins of appropriate music that YT wouldn't block or cause hassle with. I think that around 80% of my 90-odd YT vids have some sort of copyright claim on them, and a lot are blocked in Germany, so perhaps I took the easy option on this one. The vids about St Marks Square/Basilica and The Doge's Palace must certainly have some stirring music to go with them.

But it's certainly a fair point, and one that we are even divided about in my family ! All the best, Tony

Okay,here is part 5. Little less than 20 minutes. Yes, long, but I am going to have no problem making this whole thing into a feature length film.... I have actually had this done for a few weeks, but for some odd reason it would not upload to Vimeo through their advanced uploader. I think I tried 10 times. Finally changed to the basic uploaded and it worked. The video of the river and hike are off the Contour mostly since it was rainy that day. The video work of the whales was done by my DW.

Enjoy

Tim

Hey Tim !! .. We've been traveling the last 30 days. (More about that some other time) .. Just caught up with Part 5 of your Epic Alaskan Adventure. Overall it scores well .. Nice whale shots by your DW. Give her the camera more often and get her to shoot YOU. Sure .. it's too long but that's from my view and YOUR view is what counts with Home Video. The intro and very beginning of the chopper sequence is excellent but then too much of a good thing. But I watched the whole thing without skipping or gritting my teeth ... I think you are improving! I'm sure you feel that.

I remember taking the White Pass railroad in 07' .. We saw the hikers but didn't know what it was like .. Here's my version of our Day in Skagway back in 07' shot in the days of SD. I still like this one but I realize now -- it's too long ! If you've already seen this one .. apologies.

Here's my first attempt using an HD Camcorder

This was made with a Panasonic SD900 Full HD 1920x1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder - Black (3MOS sensor, SD Card Recording, Leica Dicomar Lens and Manual Control Ring) and edited using iMovie.

I had to convert the .mts files to .mov so that my Mac could recognise them, but it's a fairly painless process using the Aunsoft converter program.

All the best, Tony

Some pretty shots Tony. I liked the effort to use the "live" sound. Next I'd try some narration over that live sound instead of the titles. If you record the narration on your video camera outside, it might mix together with the live sound like you did the narration while on location. Can you overlap the sound tracks from one shot to the next to smooth out the abrupt sound changes? This requires the digital editor to have the ability to lengthen the sound without lengthening the video.

We rode the Vaparetto all the way around on our one and only trip to Venice. This brought back memories. Did you get that fabulous shot of San Marco (near the end) from the ship? It's a beautiful high angle of the square.

Some pretty shots Tony. I liked the effort to use the "live" sound. Next I'd try some narration over that live sound instead of the titles. If you record the narration on your video camera outside, it might mix together with the live sound like you did the narration while on location. Can you overlap the sound tracks from one shot to the next to smooth out the abrupt sound changes? This requires the digital editor to have the ability to lengthen the sound without lengthening the video.

We rode the Vaparetto all the way around on our one and only trip to Venice. This brought back memories. Did you get that fabulous shot of San Marco (near the end) from the ship? It's a beautiful high angle of the square.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the very good thoughts, which I will try and put into practice in the future. This canal one was tricky as ideally you would get on a vap early in the morning when it was empty and just move from side to side filming, so it would at the very least all be in sequence (and in one area of the SD card).

But in the real world I couldn't take all the footage in a continuous journey. I had to fit in with the rest of the family so I needed 4/5 separate rides over 4 different days to cover it all, hence the different sunlight intensities, and a couple of the rides were of necessity in the opposite direction (St Mark's Square - Piazzale Roma), so I sometimes had to reverse the footage to show the correct direction of travel. There is one clip which shows a boat going backwards but if anyone ever says I shall say that it was reversing :)

Fortunately the weather was glorious on all the days (17/18/30/31 July) as it was for the entire cruise.

There were a couple of things I wanted to film but was in the wrong position on the vap, or couldn't get there in time as it was crowded or others had the best positions, but it's just a holiday memory not a BBC/HBO production so I'm happy with that.

And that shot from on high is as we sailed away through the Giudecca Canal. I reckon Venice is the No 1 sail-in/out port but Kotor isn't bad either.

Cheers, Tony

>> but it's just a holiday memory not a BBC/HBO production

Boy, isn't that the truth Tony. It does put things in perspective. But you certainly put a big effort into photographing Venice. But I think you'll remember that with pride. All the work pays off as you really get a much deeper understanding of where you've been than those who merely watch the scenery go by. I think this has been the greatest thing about doing the videos. You often learn so much more about where you have been in shooting and ESPECIALLY in the editing of the video. I know I certainly REMEMBER the places and many of the details so much better because of the video work. I'll often say, when talking about someplace we've been, " I know that's true, because it's in my video" ... So all this is to say the effort pays off even if only a select few ever seen the final production. Cheers !

Paul, I really liked this one from you. great editing job! Enjoyed your story & footage from yesteryear explaining the railroad. One of the great things of the internet, I use all the time is to find pictures or footage to aid in my little productions.

.. Here's my version of our Day in Skagway back in 07' shot in the days of SD. I still like this one but I realize now -- it's too long ! If you've already seen this one .. apologies.

If you guys haven't seen Charley's work check this out on his Alaskan trip .. He made very good use of his GoPro camera and -- he carries a tripod on field trips !

THe thread I found this on is called "Alaska Inside Passage Video" .. It's worth your time..

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here is the final installment of my video from Alaska. This also has some of the footage from the other video I put together to show the view from the Contour ROAM on the wing of the plane. Was not overly happy about the quotes part at the end. Could not get the right color font or size that seemed to work well with the background. Guess the easier way would have been to find a new background rather than play with it for hours.

I did go back over the rest and make a number of changes/tweaks to the whole thing. Overall, I am very happy with the results. Yes it is long, a full feature length...101 minutes in all. Did I get enough video and pictures to do this, maybe. Could I do more, of course. Guess, that means I have to go back which of course means need to find new toys......Unfortunately, that is not happening for awhile.

Comments as always are welcome.

Enjoy.

Tim

Congrats on finishing Tim. You work amazingly fast for a guy who is not retired. Nice work. Looks like you had some fun with it too (the Bridge sequence especially). The Contour footage adds a dimension -- especially that beautiful shot of you landing on the lake. I like the music throughout. Nice selections. Great effort. Enjoyed seeing it.

Congrats on finishing Tim. You work amazingly fast for a guy who is not retired. Nice work. Looks like you had some fun with it too (the Bridge sequence especially). The Contour footage adds a dimension -- especially that beautiful shot of you landing on the lake. I like the music throughout. Nice selections. Great effort. Enjoyed seeing it.

Thanks Paul. Glad you enjoyed it. I felt like it took forever to put together. Glad you liked the bridge sequence. Unfortunately, they did not allow any videos to be taken while on the bridge. Could of had some fun with that. Wish i had taken more pictures while up there, but it was very fascinating to see how everything operated. The shot of landing on the lake from the Contour has to be my favorite. Actually saw someone else's video that had a picture of the same lake later in the season with no snow. Very different. Think if we ever go back, we are going later in the season.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

You did a great job. I'm way behind in film making right now. Waiting for the new iMac before I start. Going for the 27 incher so I can see what I'm doing....lol.

Any new projects coming?

John

Cedarnet Studios

Tim,

You did a great job. I'm way behind in film making right now. Waiting for the new iMac before I start. Going for the 27 incher so I can see what I'm doing....lol.

Any new projects coming?

John

Cedarnet Studios

You need to check your mail. Sending you the full length director's cut.

New iMac......Nice. I agree with getting a bigger screen. I use a 23 inch and I want more space sometimes.

As for new projects, DD has made a few of her own short films regarding Princess Nap-A-Lot..... Have discovered letting your 8 year play with your new iPhone or Ipad that does video can result in some interesting clips.

My new project, well, according to my DW I get to make a sequel to Alaska next year.....

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well, I got my self a Mac, So here is my part 4 of 4 of my 2010 family cruise. Caution- there is a Belly Flop competition on this video. https://vimeo.com/56787416 of all four of them are here https://vimeo.com/user7033319

Very nice. The belly flop contest was pretty funny. I like how you slowed down some of the flops.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Archived