No PIF/Boarding Pass: How much of a delay at embarkation?

lopat08865

One of our travelling party failed to get the online Passenger Information Form completed on time. Now that it's within the 5 day window of our sailing, it's too late to complete it online. The cruise personalizer has it locked out.

So what's going to be different when we arrive at the embarkation port (Red Hook on 6/5/10), and how much extra time should we allow for it?

Will there be separate lines or areas for people that have already filed them vs people that haven't?

We really wanted to be on board as early as we could, and we still want to all board at the same time (will that now even be possible?)

How early do they begin processing people for boarding? Maybe we should try to get there then?

I would have the passenger call Princess and let them fill it out for them while on the phone. I think this information MUST be completed before you arrive at the port now, and if I am not mistaken, they can refuse to allow the passenger to board if it is not. I would definitely call Princess about this one and not take the chance of missing the cruise. Not having a boarding pass isn't a huge problem, but the immigration information not provided is. Good Luck!

According to the Princess Cruise Answer Booklet, passenger/immigration info must be provided to DHS no later than 60 minutes prior to sailing, and Princess needs this info no less than 90 minutes before sailing.

If your peep is unable to square this away over the phone, suggest you all arrive at the pier as early as possible to allow enough time to check in and provide the required info prior to the prescribed deadline.

Here's the paper PIF

One of our travelling party failed to get the online Passenger Information Form completed on time. Now that it's within the 5 day window of our sailing, it's too late to complete it online. The cruise personalizer has it locked out.

So what's going to be different when we arrive at the embarkation port (Red Hook on 6/5/10), and how much extra time should we allow for it?

Will there be separate lines or areas for people that have already filed them vs people that haven't?

We really wanted to be on board as early as we could, and we still want to all board at the same time (will that now even be possible?)

How early do they begin processing people for boarding? Maybe we should try to get there then?

PIF.pdf

We were on the Crown Princess out of Ft Lauderdale on 24 Apr, and there were two individuals in line who did not have theirs done. Originally, we were behind them, but right as they went to the desk, one of the other check-in lines opened up, and we were asked to come forward (whew!). The folks who forgot to do them were Elite, so that was really surprising that they would ‘forget’ something so elementary. From what I heard with our station (right next to them) it takes about an extra 10 minutes – which isn’t a lot of time, but does hold up a lot of people who are checking in.

I was sorta surprised though, as I thought that had to be completed before you could print your Boarding Pass. I suppose not? Else, it’s pretty difficult to get into the Port (at least into Port Everglades) as they ask to see both your passport and boarding pass.

Dan

Else, it’s pretty difficult to get into the Port (at least into Port Everglades) as they ask to see both your passport and boarding pass.

When taking a cab into Port Everglades, I have never been asked for more than a driver's license at security.

Just as an aside while we're on the topic.... one doesn't need to bring a printout of the PIF, correct?
No, you don't need it and it's not required but I always print out the Travel Summary so I have documentation that everything is done. I've never had to use it but I have referred to it sometimes if I have a question about my booking, cruise, or shore excursions.

And here I thought TSA required the manifest and immigration form several days before

sailing. So why do they say people can't walk up and book now?

Nope. Not true nor has it ever been. The ship's manifest must be submitted 60 minutes before the ship sails to Homeland Security. The cruiselines add another 30 minutes as the cut-off to allow them to process late-comers and prepare the manifest to submit.

People can't walk up and book a cabin, nor can they request or get an upgrade or change dining options, at the pier because the check-in reps don't have access to the booking engine. All they have is a basic list of the passengers and their cabin assignments. It's physically impossible for the check-in people to make any changes to any booking at the pier. They'll refer you to the Pursar's Desk which will tell you that the ship is sailing full and there are no cabins available. Perhaps on other cruiselines that maybe have a different check-in system, you can walk up and try to get a cabin but that's never been possible on Princess.

The cruiselines do their best to sell out the cruise well before sailing (ours went on full waitlist 6 weeks prior, some never do, some go on months earlier). It just makes dealing with the last minute changes, additions, cancellations and move-overs a little easier if everything else is already closed out. Princess does most of that 5 days prior, and it is up to them to decide how much effort they want to undertake to accomodate new last-minute bookings. It is also a little bit of customer relations thing to imply that its a government rule, not the cruiseline policy, that prevents them from taking a day-of-cruise booking.

The latest I have heard of in recent years is booking the day before, but that is on Carnival.

I was sorta surprised though, as I thought that had to be completed before you could print your Boarding Pass. I suppose not? Else, it’s pretty difficult to get into the Port (at least into Port Everglades) as they ask to see both your passport and boarding pass.

Dan

I drive into Port Everglades all the time, and just show a government

issued id. For instance, you have to enter the port to park at the

convention center garage -- many of those people are not even going

on cruises.

Wow... I go to Port Everglade for a lot of cruises (but never have for other reasons) and I suppose from my first, they asked for the boarding pass and passport.... and I have just continued the process. Or, maybe I only "heard" ID, and thought Passport?

Evidently you only need a Gov. ID (DL, Passport, ???) and no boarding pass. Would that be any DL -- or just one of the few States (like Florida and New York) that have the new accepted security DL’s mandated by Congress?

I think I’ll continue with the passport and boarding pass, but that is interesting info I may be able to use in the future… should I forget my Passport (not) or my boarding pass (maybe -- ! -- could happen)

Dan

Quick question - can you get into the departure building without a boarding pass? Just curious, as I always just show it and they let me enter. It would/could be important, but I just don’t know.

Tks!!!!!

Dan

Quick question - can you get into the departure building without a boarding pass? Just curious, as I always just show it and they let me enter. It would/could be important, but I just don’t know.

Tks!!!!!

Dan

Yes, and if you don't have the boarding pass, that also isn't a problem. It just takes a bit longer at check in without it.

Speaking of walk up booking, I remember when Carnival had a ticket window at the

pier in Miami for walk up last minute bookings. That had to have been at least 20 years

ago, but sometimes I'd see a short line there.

Yes, and if you don't have the boarding pass, that also isn't a problem. It just takes a bit longer at check in without it.

Thanks Toto2Kansas! now ..... that's info everyone can use!

Dan

Archived