booking question/alcohol question

QUESTION 1:

can two people travel together booked in the same room, one over 21 and one between 18-21(as a couple or just friends)? not referring to parent and child relationship. no switcheroos on board, just booked that way and traveling alone.

QUESTION 2:

does princess REALLY enforce alcohol policy for under 21?

Example: any person 21 or older can go to the bar and order any number of drinks. they then can bring them back to whomever for consumption(if they were to take it back to their room for a person under 21 who would know? if they take it to a person on the pool deck who looks 21 who would know?(i've never seen anyone confronted by an employee on the topic)

does your cruise card indicate age on it anywhere? what are the fines/penalties if caught?

QUESTION 1:

can two people travel together booked in the same room, one over 21 and one between 18-21(as a couple or just friends)? not referring to parent and child relationship. no switcheroos on board, just booked that way and traveling alone.

According to the website, yes -- a person between 18-21 can stay in a cabin with a person over 21. But the person over 21 must assume responsibility for that "underaged" person -- meaning, if the younger person breaks the laws..or you break the laws on their behalf, you're both subject to penalty. Which addresses your second question:

QUESTION 2:

Example: any person 21 or older can go to the bar and order any number of drinks. they then can bring them back to whomever for consumption(if they were to take it back to their room for a person under 21 who would know? if they take it to a person on the pool deck who looks 21 who would know?(i've never seen anyone confronted by an employee on the topic)

does your cruise card indicate age on it anywhere? what are the fines/penalties if caught?

The cruise cards have a birthdate on them. And according to the website, you can be asked for additional ID if there is any question.

The penalties if caught are to be removed from the ship, at which time you would need to find your own way home, at your own expense.

Now, having said that -- while I have seen this enforced, I also know that folks do this a lot and don't get caught. And it's not likely to be "enforced" if you take drinks back to your cabin and hand them off to the younger person. I suspect that if one or both of you misbehave while "under the influence" you'll draw attention to yourselves and increase the likelihood of getting caught. And the very fact that you're travelling alone -- not with, say, a family group -- might draw attention to your situation.

Have a great cruise.

I agree, by being 21 or over and sailing with someone under the age of 21, YOU are assuming the responsibility for the younger traveler.

Is it actually worth the younger one being caught intoxicated because you supplied them with alcohol and both of you being put off at the next port? I think not, as it's an expensive lesson learned and the flight home can really cost you a bundle. Enjoy!

unless its a crusie from the uk then you have to be 18 to drink

Does that mean that anyone travelling on Grand Princess from Southampton this summer can drink at 18, even the US passengers?

I am just a bit over the age to drink.:D

unless its a crusie from the uk then you have to be 18 to drink

Not all cruises from the UK are that way. A Cruise to the Med.Sea, the Baltics, or trans-Atlantic will have 21 as a minimum.

A cruise around the British Isles will use 18 as the minimum.

Not all cruises from the UK are that way. A Cruise to the Med.Sea, the Baltics, or trans-Atlantic will have 21 as a minimum.

A cruise around the British Isles will use 18 as the minimum.

That is strange and very confusing for passengers. You can drink at 18 in the Med and Baltic countries too.

They should make up their minds on one rule.

Looking back over the years,I'm amazed at how important it was to drink when we

were underage, like that was the be all and end all of life. Now I enjoy a drink, but would

be horrified to be in some of the situations I was in back then.....nothing illegal, but

potentially harmful.

There are so many years when you can go all out, I hope y'all can find cruising just as

much fun without taking any risks.

[quote=cruizin-from-maine;24667859

QUESTION 2:

The sea pass/cruise card will indicate if you are under the drinking age. If you get caught buying and giving an alcoholic drink to someone underage, they will have a stern talk with both of you but you will not be put off the ship unless you get belligerent. The second time you are caught may be different. I have seen this happen on several different ships. I am of course long past 21 or 18 and do not give alcohol to underage. If you are going to do it, do it discretely.

In most countries 18 or 19 y/o can drink legally. In Germany it is 16 I believe. In Mexico particularly in tourist areas I think the age is anyone old enough to order the drink and pay for it! I think the US has its head stuck where the sun does not shine with their insane 21 rule.

were underage, like that was the be all and end all of life. Now I enjoy a drink, but would

be horrified to be in some of the situations I was in back then.....nothing illegal, but

potentially harmful.

There are so many years when you can go all out, I hope y'all can find cruising just as

:D:D I agree

No offense to princess but if drinking is that big a deal to you, you prbably want to book a different cruise Line. I know people older than 18 can have beer and wine (no liquer) onboard NCL boats with a signed form fro mthe guardian. Not sure other boats but was just on an NCL cruise know you can drink there. Check all the ships alcohol policys before you book

potentially harmful.

This.

I remember being in college, and thinking that the epitome of a good night was to get drunk with friends. After graduating from college and entering the "real world", I quickly realized that while moderate social drinking can be fun, getting sloppy drunk and dealing with a hangover the next morning was not worth it. I also learned that it was entirely possible to have a fabulous evening without so much as a drop of alochol.

To the OP, if you (or your friend) need alcohol to have a good time, you may have a drinking problem. Seriously. Just because someone's "only" 19 or 20 years old it doesn't mean they can't have a drinking problem. I knew plenty of kids in my college days who were underage but had already become alcoholics because they didn't think they could enjoy themselves if they didn't have a drink in them, and eventually it spiraled out of control before they realized what had happened.

The drinking age varies by cruise line. I'm a grad student and recently did a travel study program that ended with a greek isles cruise (the school justified it because we were touring ruins at Ephesus, Crete and Santorini). Most of the people on our travel study were under 21 and they were all allowed to drink. They even let us bring full liquor bottles on-board for our staterooms as long as we purchased the liquor in port. But it was a Greek cruise line (and FYI: NOWHERE near as nice as Princess, NCL or Celebrity when it came to amenities).

If drinking age is a big issue for you, check with the cruise line you're looking to book with and plan your cruise accordingly.

1: drinking not important to have a good time, just a question asked - thats all.

2: loyal to princess, there is no 'other' line at this time(no matter what their alcohol policy is).

3: i am a rule follower.

4: more curious than anything else, no-one needs to jump to any conclusions.

5: thanks to those who provided unbiased straight-forward answers; the rest of the garble from those who deem it necessary to hear them themselves talk(or type as would be the vessel in this case:p) is not entirely needed though unable to be prevented.

6:love cruise critic, reading for years, only post when I have something helpful to say based on experience or to ask a question

7: I like lists, that's all for now

There is something on the cruise card to distinguish those that are at least 18, but under 21 - it might have been a hole punched in the card, but I can't remember for sure. But I can say from experience, that my two sons, ages 23 and 20, were staying in a room adjacent to mine, and one night they decided to order room service. My older son requested a alcoholic drink with his meal, and room service would not deliver it because my younger son was underage.

Archived