Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

LOL I do the same thing. Someone shoots off their mouth in a bad way, I just turn around and say " Hi, it's sure is good to see you again" Blank stare follows.

Of course, under my breath I'm thinking. Ya old bag !!!

(I'm 70 so get to say these things) lol

I don't understand. You're saying that because you are 70 you can say whatever you want? I am 66 and I definitely know that I can't say whatever I want. Didn't your Mama teach you manners?

As mentioned by several, I don't let these people bother me as I've doing everything I can to have a good time on a cruise. On a semi related note, in day to day life, I hate KNOW IT ALLS, and I run into many of those on a cruise and usually just laugh it off. My favorite was on Navigator in '09. A New England Journal of Medicine article made national news the say we sailed and I heard one lady tell another, while waving her hand dismissively, "Oh, I researched it and its not true" Just part of my people watching pleasure.

The first cruise we ever took was back in 2004 on Navigator. It was with friends of ours who had cruised quite a few times prior to this cruise, and had gone on Navigator, the second cruise that the ship was out. They had tried to get on her Maiden Voyage, but due to some unforeseen circumstances they were unable to.

Anyway, our friends took care of all of the details, because they 'knew all the ins and outs, since they were experienced cruisers' -- fine by us. We had a great balcony cabin, the ocean looked pretty much the same every day, and it was delightful. Everyday, I heard about their experience and how we should do "ABC or XYZ" -- they were experts....they took us on a tour of the ship, since they had been on her the year before. They suggested excursions....etc, etc.

I let it go on for day or so.....lets face it, these were 'very dear friends of mine'.....then I said at dinner one evening....'We're going to do some of OUR own exploring and learn how to be OUR own kind of cruisers' -- we were traveling with a third couple, and they fully understood the message I was sending 'to our very dear friends'.....and viola, Mr and Mrs. Know it all, backed off. We did not lose a friend either.

We have cruised with them a couple of more times, but the next cruises, we were at least as experienced as they were, as cruisers.

Actually, it doesn't take much to be 'experienced' at this....since I don't need to know how to navigate the ship, just how to have a good time, for ME and Hubby.

It also seems some of the fun of cruising (especially on a ship I have not been on before) is exploring it. The fun of being on a ship, I have been on before, is knowing it better....so it is just fun.

On my most recent cruise on Serenade of the Seas, I was in an elevator with two older couples going up to the Windjammer, one was in their late 60's, and the other looked like they were in their 80's. I was listening to their conversation on the ride up which basically went like this...

60's couple: We are just so blessed to have over 20 Great-Grandchildren, can you believe it? Over 20 Great-Grandchildren. It's so amazing. Gosh, we may still be around to have even Great-Great Grandchildren.

80's couple: Wow that's great!

60's couple: So, do you have any Great-Grandchildren like WE do?

80's couple: No, not yet.

60's couple: Oh, well looking at how up in age you are, you'll both be long dead before you get any.

The 80's couple were shocked and speechless at the crass thing these people just said and quickly got off the elevator once it got to the Windjammer floor. As they were getting out the 60's couple said to them, "Truth hurts, doesn't it." Then they muttered to themselves of how jealous some elderly people can be of their blessings. I shook my head at these clueless people before exiting the elevator to get my lunch.

How mean

Of course having 20 GREAT grandchildren , and only in your 60s probably means lot of teen moms pounding them out like rabbits . Nothing to be all that proud about .

Too bad the older couple didn't lay that one on them. :)

My son (10) who has autism, and I, were having lunch in the equivalent of the WJ on Carnival last year and he dropped a piece of cake. He started to get upset when I told him he couldnt eat it. Some (rude) guy came up and said, TO HIM, not me, "some of us would like to have a quiet lunch" I told him he had autism and doesnt understand, he said "oh" and walked away. No apoligies. My son is very well behaved and just wanted the cake. He ruined my whole vacation. I started crying and went back to the cabin for the rest of the day.

I'm so sorry! That was very rude of him!! :( don't let people like that get you down

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

I perfectly understand people taking offense to someone constantly bombarding them with their crown & anchor status. However, based on my experience, such behavior is the exception rather than the rule. Rarely have I encountered snobbish overbearing individuals and on those few occasions I simple avoided them. Most D+ and Pinnacle members are polite, informative, helpful and a pleasure to be around and despite some opinions senior citizens do not have a monopoly on rudeness.

I am a D+ member and its been several decades since anyone told me to act my age. Pablum drooling is not a pretty sight. My motto is that I never pay to do something and not have a good time. Maturity has taught me respect other peoples space and to recognize when the topic or intensity of a conversations is becoming unhealthy. I also understand that people, myself included, can unintentionally do something that is an irritant to fellow travelers. Certainly I try to avoid such actions but I don’t get overly excited with an unintentional faux pas.

I do believe some people are too thin skinned. They are on high alert for any act that they deem promoting ones status. It is okay to be a D, D+ or Pinnacle as long as you keeps it quiet. Don’t wear your crown & anchor pin or mention your status or that you are in a suite. And, it almost seems like there are as many of these folks as there are those who are overly enamored with their own status. I choose to ignore both groups and follow my plan to have a great cruise.

I learn a few things on every cruise and by knowing that I am talking with a seasoned cruiser I consider them as a credible source. So, I appreciate it when the Pinnacle members wear their pins although I only wear my D+ pin on formal night.

Edited by Don Pedro

Get this...two cruises ago, (I cruise solo), I took out a small paddle, put some suntan lotion on it, and put it on my shoulders so they wouldn't burn.

Then, about twenty minutes later, I sprayed myself with evian water in a can designed to spritz you when you are in the sun.

This GOOBER next to me, just COULD NOT TAKE IT ANY LONGER, he went CRRRAAAZZZZYYYY! Like I was some high society snob or something, I did not understand his rage! I laughed and laughed when I saw his reaction!

For spite, I took the umbrella out of my drink and held it over my nose for sun protection.........it worked. He finally moved...

Sometimes, you just can't understand crazy.

I don't understand. You're saying that because you are 70 you can say whatever you want? I am 66 and I definitely know that I can't say whatever I want. Didn't your Mama teach you manners?

Reread the post. ;)

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?

Earlier this week I was in WJ with my son. Some guy told me to "move my fat f#%king a$$".

Some people are just jerks. Do I think he was a snob? No. anyone with any sort of means or class that might have cause to be an actual snob would not say something so base and low class.

Don't let people like this get you upset. Their attitudes are already ruining their own cruise; don't let it ruin yours as well

Edited by orangepeel

Reread the post. ;)

Don't ever change

I love the older folks , they are our link to the good old politically incorrect days , before everyone got so thin skinned .

I am not talking about mean , rude old bags and SOBs .

Just folks who still talk and use sayings the way they did back in the day.

My Mom is in her 80s and will come out with a gem or two now and then.

Her doctor loves when she comes in and they have a chat . He says it's like spending a few more minutes with his late mom, who was the exact same way. *LOL*

The greatest generation :)

I am just off my first cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas. It was a Christmas Cruise so everyone was very happy and friendly.

On the 2nd night, I was sitting in the Centrum at about 5pm. There were two well-dressed older ladies sitting in my line of sight, across the Centrum from me. I could not hear what they were saying to each other but their facial expressions made it very clear that they not happy with their drink service. It was as if they are were performing a pantomine. The huffing, the eye rolling, the hand gestures. The poor waiter was getting alot of grief. It was like watching a silent movie.

We ran into a Pinnacle couple on our March Indy cruise. We took an elevator trip with them, so I asked how many cruises - that was their 168th cruise. They were very nice and not at all snobby. She patted me on the shoulder and said that when I retire, I can cruise a lot too. She said they cruise 10-12 times per year.

I think the "snobbery" will only surface if those elite status cruisers are the snobby type in the first place. We all run into these entitled types in the real world too.

I'm really easy going, so if I ran into a situation where someone was being overly snobby, I would just ignore, and move on - I refuse to give people the reaction they are looking for. I also am not going to CHOOSE to get worked up on my own vacation -I'm here to relax and enjoy. That usually means to just ignore the idjits.

Edited by Toddcan

To rude and snobs I respond with "I'm sorry, you mistake me for someone who cares what you think. Just kidding. Wife is in a wheelchair and for the most part we have found fellow cruisers to be very polite. We are of the older generation and find that rudeness has no age barrier. Most people that flaunt the status are looking just for attention. We wear our D+ pins only when we board as to get the perks that RCL gives. Other than that they stay in the cabin for the rest of the cruise. Stay pretty much stay to ourselves to enjoy the best vacation on earth.

People don't suddenly become rude when they reach a certain age.

Those in their 70s who are rude were likely that way in their 20s and 30s.

On the same note, the younger ones complaining about seniors now will likely be the rude seniors later because they already lack empathy for some of the afflictions that come with age.

It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of manners and attitudes.

People don't suddenly become rude when they reach a certain age.

Those in their 70s who are rude were likely that way in their 20s and 30s.

On the same note, the younger ones complaining about seniors now will likely be the rude seniors later because they already lack empathy for some of the afflictions that come with age.

It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of manners and attitudes.

Not every senior that is rude is that way because of old age or illness or circumstance . Some are just plain rude and have always been that way as you noted .

When a young person does something out of line people blame the decline of society and lack of good parenting and the ME generation.

When an older person is just as rude "Oh the poor thing must be ill or on/off their meds or their spouse just died."

Rude is rude no matter what the age.

We ran into a Pinnacle couple on our March Indy cruise. We took an elevator trip with them, so I asked how many cruises - that was their 168th cruise. They were very nice and not at all snobby. She patted me on the shoulder and said that when I retire, I can cruise a lot too. She said they cruise 10-12 times per year.

I think the "snobbery" will only surface if those elite status cruisers are the snobby type in the first place. We all run into these entitled types in the real world too.

I'm really easy going, so if I ran into a situation where someone was being overly snobby, I would just ignore, and move on - I refuse to give people the reaction they are looking for. I also am not going to CHOOSE to get worked up on my own vacation -I'm here to relax and enjoy. That usually means to just ignore the idjits.

IDJITS! ha ......love it! IDJITS!!!!!! giggle giggle

Not every senior that is rude is that way because of old age or illness or circumstance . Some are just plain rude and have always been that way as you noted .

When a young person does something out of line people blame the decline of society and lack of good parenting and the ME generation.

When an older person is just as rude "Oh the poor thing must be ill or on/off their meds or their spouse just died."

Rude is rude no matter what the age.

Agree with all of this

We were on the explorer on the December 2nd sailing. It was our 9th cruise but first time encountering rude people on a cruise. The first was a man in his 70s. He and his wife sat at our table during breakfast one morning as the windjammer was crowded. It was only the lady eating and the whole time the man stared at my 2.5 year old son. Didn't crack a smile or say hello which is fine but out of nowhere he yells, "Eat!" at my son and continued to stare at him. I didn't bother saying anything but my son who was sitting down quietly eating now had his head buried in my lap and stopped eating! If you're a parent of a picky eater, you can just imagine how upset I was.

The second incident didn't really involve us directly. There was a young lady in a wheelchair who was trying to turn around to go the opposite direction. It was a tight space so my family stopped walking to give her the room she needed and she apologized to us for making us wait (which wasn't necessary). There was a young woman in her early 30s who was behind the woman in the wheelchair who yelled, "where's my apology?!" and stormed off the second she could get around her. To me that is absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Other than those two incidents, we encountered hundreds of extremely friendly people who always stopped to say hi to my son even though he was too shy to say hi back. I found so many people to be patient and helpful. A lady ran to help me when my stroller was tipping over! There are definitely more pleasant and polite people on cruises than rude ones.

( Im not a senior)' if this post targeted any other "group" it would be flamed, PC police would come with lights and sirens...the posts would be called bigots, racists, homophobes etc...how come seniors are not not "protected" LOL. :)

Edited by Cruzin RN

( Im not a senior)' if this post targeted any other "group" it would be flamed, PC police would come with lights and sirens...the posts would be called bigots, racists, homophobes etc...how come seniors are not not "protected" LOL. :)

Because PC and all the different "Cards" out there only apply to just so many people. Only so many get "Sacred Cow" status , the rest are on their own.

We had the same issues on the Explorer last month. It seemed like the older people (walkers, wheelchairs, hover-rounds) were the rudest of the bunch. They spoke down to us constantly. DH and I are early 50s so we're not young by any means. Also, we tried to be polite ... like we were both raised.

Had the almost the same issue on another ship. We were waiting in a line for lunch in the WJ and older lady cut in front of me in a hover round, I told her the line started back there. She said very rudely that she was old and hungry, I told her so was everyone else in line and get to the back. Some people behind me high fived me and said good going.

We were on the Carnival Liberty last year at the life boat drill. My husband and I were next to each other, both second from the back of the line. A drunk guy was last in his line at the wall, about three people over from us. He made his presence known by shouting out stupid Titanic type comments to the crew. He would move between lines and come up between my husband and me and shout almost in our ears. He bumped against me hard enough that I had to catch myself so as to not to knock into anyone else. The last time he did this he yelled really loud and my husband turned to him and said "please don't be so loud" and this set him off. His wife pulled him back to the wall and seemed to be telling him to stop this because at normal voice level, we could hear him making excuses and blaming my husband. He seemed quite offended. The muster drill took a while and finally we were dismissed. He was ahead of us and kept looking back making comments. We managed to get away from him in the crowd.

He had an unusual voice and I heard him other times in our hallway. When sober, he seemed like a normal guy and when we passed him in the hallway, he did not seem to remember us, or chose to not be rude when sober.

Also, about rude people with wheel chairs and scooters. I try to give the right of way to baby strollers, scooters and wheel chair people trying to get on elevators. These people are treated rudely a lot of the time and people push by them and fill up the elevator. This is no excuse for them to be rude, but I think this is why they seem get pushy and seem so rude.