Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

I forgot to read the last posts that were left on this thread. No one should be lording over other people, but it's ok to be proud of our status if we've earned it.

Didn't you create enough annoyance on your last thread? Did you have to bring up an old one, too?

Didn't you create enough annoyance on your last thread? Did you have to bring up an old one, too?

Why there are no connecting cabins left on Norwegian Ships, well I don't know dear. No one said I was an annoyance but you. This is where you tell a snobbish story, not leave a snobbish comment. Do you have any stories you would like to share?

Why there are no connecting cabins left on Norwegian Ships, well I don't know dear. No one said I was an annoyance but you. This is where you tell a snobbish story, not leave a snobbish comment. Do you have any stories you would like to share?

Wrong! You're an annoyance. :rolleyes:

Know this is an old thread that has recently been reactivated - but I too think that Royal Caribean does have a larger number of rude passengers who think they are better than others. My feeling is if I paid to cruise on the ship, and you paid to cruise on the ship, why are you better than me, why do you feel your money or time is worth more than mine.

Look at the end of the day we pretty much have decided Royal is not for us, which is fine the Royal brigade will continue to cruise with her, and we'll try some others or stick to the lines we know and love - everyone has favourite lines and ships

To the cruiser who posted above that he knocked back the captain's dinner offer, we too did something similiar - on our first cruise purchased the full suite - look we wanted the cruise as we wanted the extra space, we weren't interested in the silly canapes, the dinners and cocktail do's with the captain - just not our cup of tea - and if we paid for the cruise, then we want to be comfy and enjoy what we want to do.

We have since down graded to mini suites and balcony rooms, so we still have a good sized cabin, the lovely balcony but without all the extra gumph that we just don't really want.

In future if we meet with any rude passenger then they'll find out that they can't get away with that with everyone, and I can be downright catty when the need arises!

I wonder whether the OP still feels this way since this thread was started in June 2010?

I hope this person has sailed since then and has had a positive experience.

Happy New Year Everyone!

They haven't been back since 2011 and only posted 3 messages after this thread. Not that this is conclusive.

Look at the end of the day we pretty much have decided Royal is not for us, which is fine the Royal brigade will continue to cruise with her, and we'll try some others or stick to the lines we know and love - everyone has favourite lines and ships.......

In future if we meet with any rude passenger then they'll find out that they can't get away with that with everyone, and I can be downright catty when the need arises!

Since you have decided that Royal is not for you - enjoy whatever other cruise lines you choose to vacation on -- but it won't prevent you from coming across rude passengers.....rude people are everywhere from Saks to Target.

Know this is an old thread that has recently been reactivated - but I too think that Royal Caribean does have a larger number of rude passengers who think they are better than others.

I remember participating in this thread when it was new. I'm happy to say in the 3 years and 4 cruises since then I've not seen a lot of snobbery or snobish behavior. (made up words I think) At least none that really stick out. I think I've noticed a behavior more recently that is somewhere between snob and rude. I call is self absorbed.

I noticed this especially on my last Allure cruise. The behavior was almost public rest room like where you try not to make eye contact. If I was walking down a hall and other people were coming at me and we couldn't pass each other without moving aside, I found myself moving aside, and smiling and people would just pretend not to see me and look at the floor or opposite wall. The same going in and out of elevators. I think some people are uncomfortable with people who don't speak their language and afraid to engage when all it takes is a smile or a hand gesture to let you pass. I saw two exceptions to this. If I was walking down a cabin hallway I would try to time it so I didn't pass a cabin attendant while they were getting something out of the cart, but no, they would see a passenger coming and move aside with a smile on their face. I wish more passengers were like that. The only time a passenger did that was on the upper pool deck. A lady was pushing a stroller with twins side by side. I stepped between two chair and smiled. She replied, "Thanks a lot" Made up for all the other people.

On our first cruise we did the family thing and brought the 3 kids (all teens). DW and I had a GS and booked an inside just across for the kids.

First night in we went to the CL lounge. We got our drinks and sat on the couch and were looking at the dinner menus. An elderly couple, 75sh, came and sat across from us. You could just sense they were very impressed with themselves and their status.

During the conversation with them they asked what our "status" was with RCI. Being new, we didn't have any idea what they meant. We explained this was our first cruise. You would have thought I called them some type of foul name by their reaction. The gentleman stood up and yelled at the concierge to immediately come over to where we were. He went on how he has sailed over 45 times and couldn't believe how he (concierge) could allow someone in the CL that "didn't belong". The concierge explained we were booked in a suite that allowed us access but he really made a scene.

We excused ourselves and left. The concierge was extremely sorry and we told him not to worry about it.

The next day, we got a letter left in our room. It was formal night and we were invited to eat at the Captain's table. We didn't know how this happened or if it was something of a random selection but we told the kids they'd be on their own at our "regular" table and we'd be eating at a different table.

We decided to try the CL again before dinner. The concierge asked how our day was and we told him of the surprising invite we got. He just smiled and said enjoy, because it's special to eat with the Captain.

As karma would have it, guess who was at the table next to ours. Yep, the elderly couple and you could just see on their face they couldn't believe how this couple who have never sailed RCI or any other line could possibly be sitting next to the Captain for dinner.

Turns out our concierge felt so bad for us because of the first night's experience, he arranged the dinner at the Captains table.

Long story short, you meet all kinds of folks everywhere. But how you treat people shouldn't be based on your or their "status".

On our first cruise we did the family thing and brought the 3 kids (all teens). DW and I had a GS and booked an inside just across for the kids.

First night in we went to the CL lounge. We got our drinks and sat on the couch and were looking at the dinner menus. An elderly couple, 75sh, came and sat across from us. You could just sense they were very impressed with themselves and their status.

During the conversation with them they asked what our "status" was with RCI. Being new, we didn't have any idea what they meant. We explained this was our first cruise. You would have thought I called them some type of foul name by their reaction. The gentleman stood up and yelled at the concierge to immediately come over to where we were. He went on how he has sailed over 45 times and couldn't believe how he (concierge) could allow someone in the CL that "didn't belong". The concierge explained we were booked in a suite that allowed us access but he really made a scene.

We excused ourselves and left. The concierge was extremely sorry and we told him not to worry about it.

The next day, we got a letter left in our room. It was formal night and we were invited to eat at the Captain's table. We didn't know how this happened or if it was something of a random selection but we told the kids they'd be on their own at our "regular" table and we'd be eating at a different table.

We decided to try the CL again before dinner. The concierge asked how our day was and we told him of the surprising invite we got. He just smiled and said enjoy, because it's special to eat with the Captain.

As karma would have it, guess who was at the table next to ours. Yep, the elderly couple and you could just see on their face they couldn't believe how this couple who have never sailed RCI or any other line could possibly be sitting next to the Captain for dinner.

Turns out our concierge felt so bad for us because of the first night's experience, he arranged the dinner at the Captains table.

Long story short, you meet all kinds of folks everywhere. But how you treat people shouldn't be based on your or their "status".

I try to think of every cruise I am on as if it was 'my first' and could be my last. Just there to enjoy, not irritate anyone, nor myself for that matter with foolish issues.

I remember participating in this thread when it was new. I'm happy to say in the 3 years and 4 cruises since then I've not seen a lot of snobbery or snobish behavior. (made up words I think) At least none that really stick out. I think I've noticed a behavior more recently that is somewhere between snob and rude. I call is self absorbed.

I noticed this especially on my last Allure cruise. The behavior was almost public rest room like where you try not to make eye contact. If I was walking down a hall and other people were coming at me and we couldn't pass each other without moving aside, I found myself moving aside, and smiling and people would just pretend not to see me and look at the floor or opposite wall. The same going in and out of elevators. I think some people are uncomfortable with people who don't speak their language and afraid to engage when all it takes is a smile or a hand gesture to let you pass. I saw two exceptions to this. If I was walking down a cabin hallway I would try to time it so I didn't pass a cabin attendant while they were getting something out of the cart, but no, they would see a passenger coming and move aside with a smile on their face. I wish more passengers were like that. The only time a passenger did that was on the upper pool deck. A lady was pushing a stroller with twins side by side. I stepped between two chair and smiled. She replied, "Thanks a lot" Made up for all the other people.

We have made it a habit to smile and say hello when we meet people in the corridor. A lot of people are surprised, but almost everyone smiles and responds, even if they do not speak English. (We have the best responses when we sail out of Galveston.)

And when we have made the pleasantries, people move over so everyone can pass. Win-win. :)

I try to think of every cruise I am on as if it was 'my first' and could be my last. Just there to enjoy, not irritate anyone, nor myself for that matter with foolish issues.

Couldn't agree with you more :-). We still talk about our first cruise every time we walk onto a ship for our cruises now. We still relish that "first time" feeling and the "WOW" we get when we board. Our first was on NOS and we all couldn't believe what a great experience we had. Fast forward to Oasis a few years back when we sailed her. Now that's a "WOW" moment if I've ever had one. The DW and I just couldn't believe how much more they could do.

Now a new class is coming and I'm sure DW will want to try that one out as well.

Don't know if my pocket book can handle it or not but we'll sure give it the ole college try.. lol

I'm glad your Concierge took care of you. What goes around, comes around. (In a good way!) :)

He sure did. We're certainly not the most seasoned cruisers as we started later in life cruising but we have always been treated right on RCI ships. We have tried other lines and can honestly say all have been very enjoyable but RCI is probably our favorite.

He sure did. We're certainly not the most seasoned cruisers as we started later in life cruising but we have always been treated right on RCI ships. We have tried other lines and can honestly say all have been very enjoyable but RCI is probably our favorite.

I'm glad to hear that.

Where are you from in the O-C?:)

I'm glad to hear that.

Where are you from in the O-C?:)

We lived in Irvine for about 15 years and then moved to the Lemon Heights/Cowan Heights area for our last 2 years in OC. Retired and moved to Oxford a few years back. We love it here. We still have a DD and her family in OC so we travel back there quite a bit to get the grandpa/grandma fix from our 3 yr old granddaughter.

Considering the average age of cruisers has dropped drastically in the past fifteen years and continues to drop each year, specifically to Royal Caribbean, its time the more senior cruisers get over themselves and embrace the younger crowd.

With that said, I also believe young children aren't as well behaved as they use to be and many running amuck. I believe parents need to make sure their children are behaving and show some respect when interacting with other passengers and at the buffet and theater.

On the whole I have met wonderful people on my cruises and made lifelong friends. However, as with all walks of life you will come across people who you don't get on with or who see themselves as being better than you.

Last year, whilst having breakfast in Chops a couple came and sat on the next table and it was clear the lady wished to talk....well I say wished to talk....more talk at us than with us. She regaled us with details of how many cruises they had been on, how many they had booked to go on and that they were pinnacle......and then came the immoral words....you do know what PINNACLE is, don't you? :eek: I assured her I did and tried to get on with my breakfast quietly whilst she jabbered away, all the time desperately trying to read my pass which was hanging round my neck on a lanyard....pity it was turned inwards isn't it..... :rolleyes:

Considering the average age of cruisers has dropped drastically in the past fifteen years and continues to drop each year, specifically to Royal Caribbean, its time the more senior cruisers get over themselves and embrace the younger crowd.

With that said, I also believe young children aren't as well behaved as they use to be and many running amuck. I believe parents need to make sure their children are behaving and show some respect when interacting with other passengers and at the buffet and theater.

I certainly understand your sentiment. This is one nice thing about the bigger ships like the Freedom and Oasis class. Lots of kids only spaces and adult only spaces along with a lot of common areas. Easy to get seclusion or crowd fun.

Think yourself lucky then, because I've met a lot of impolite Americans. That being said, rudeness isn't specific to one nationality. I've met plenty of rude Aussies too!

Just finished a cruise last spring with a group we met from South Australia. What fun. I do know many of the performers in the Aquatheater and sports deck on the Oasis class are Aussies. Maybe I am biased, I have a life long love affair (from a far) for Olivia Newton John. :)

We've not encountered the problem of blatent rudeness or being 'looked down on" on our cruises.

I would think though, because of the high numbers of older folks that sail off season on the mass lines your chances of being "dissed" by an older person would be much better.

And before someone gets their hackles up over the idea that the oldies should just stay home and forget the cruising - the oldies going on all those off season cruises are why the younger singles and families get so many ships/ports to choose from :)

I fully agree. I'd probably be considered one of the senior cruisers (although not as senior as some) and I absolutely love kids. But, kids, like anyone else, can be annoying if they, as you say, run a muck. Having been a parent, and now a grandparent I recognize the need to always be responsible for your kids.

Part of the problem, and joy, of a cruise ship is it's easy to let the kids have more freedom because they can't really get away and there are lots of other kids for them to hang around with or programs to participate in. So, it's easy to sort of abdicate some of their parental duties. I think this, and the incredible pricing, is what makes cruising so ideal for families with kids.

It's the diversity of age, nationality, and other people group stuff that, for me, makes cruising so interesting and fun. I wish more older people felt that way.

Tom

I've seen the term "oldies" used several times in this thread (some lovingly, some disparagingly...LOL). Is there an age chart for when "old" starts? I just want to see where I fit in....:confused:

Gee, I hope DH and I don't live to be crachety cruisers. :(

We lived in Irvine for about 15 years and then moved to the Lemon Heights/Cowan Heights area for our last 2 years in OC. Retired and moved to Oxford a few years back. We love it here. We still have a DD and her family in OC so we travel back there quite a bit to get the grandpa/grandma fix from our 3 yr old granddaughter.

So, we were neighbors. We have been in Irvine for many years. :)

I've seen the term "oldies" used several times in this thread (some lovingly, some disparagingly...LOL). Is there an age chart for when "old" starts? I just want to see where I fit in....:confused:

Gee, I hope DH and I don't live to be crachety cruisers. :(

I hope you do. ;)