Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

I think the seniors are singled out because they make up the majority on most Royal cruises. The point that has been brought up over and over is, rudness comes in all ages. Don't sweat the small things, enjoy your cruise!

I've met a few rude people on some cruises, but mostly met very nice friendly folks from all over the world and of all different ages.

Other than teens and children playing with the elevators or running through the passageways, the rudest behaviour I've seen came from people about my own age.

1st story:

I sometime cruise with a woman friend who is about my age. On one ship, we two women were seated with a man and woman about our age at a table for four.

We all introduced ourselves and conversed a little before food arrived. The husband indicated that he was surprised not to be seated with another married couple. Then, the couple became very silent.

They ate quickly, declined dessert or after dinner coffee or drinks, and said goodnight. They barely looked at us during that time.

The following evening, they were seated elsewhere and our waiter explained that they were people with a great prejudice against women like us and had asked to be moved. We had a good laugh about it, as they had misunderstood our relationship entirely, and the waiter had also.

I was glad they had requested to be moved, even if it was because they had the wrong impression of us. I imagine they may have had lots of prejudices and conversation with them would probably not have been fun.

2nd story:

A relative through an in-law was on a cruise with our family. I had never met her before. She drank to excess, even in the daytime, showed up late for dinner a few times without apologizing, then complained about all kinds of things. She even complained to me about the tour we were both on. She chose it because I chose it and the rest of the family was going snorkeling, which she didn't want to do. The tour bored her, although I found it very interesting.

The last straw was the last morning, as we waited with our hand luggage to leave the ship. She sat down on the floor of the Windjammer, took off her shoes and socks, and cut her toenails right there in front of everyone. I learned later that her mother had sat at a bank loan officer's desk and trimmed her fingernails while waiting for an answer about a loan.

Opinion:

I don't know whether there is more rudeness from elderly people than from other ages, as that has not been my experience, but I do know that dementia is a disease that strikes many older people. Those with mild dementia can still get around and can make good sense much of the time, but may forget their manners. The best thing to do about them is to be as kind as possible and not take anything personally.

I guess I manage to avoid these situations somehow. My partner and I are in our early 20's and we've done two cruises. I haven't had any issue with rude young poeple or rude old people on our cruise. I think there was one or two people who skipped in line but that doesn't bother me, it's not the end of the world. Also to avoid any nasty remarks me and my partner(both males) don't hold hands on the boat or show any affection in public while on the boat, by doing so we're avoiding a potential nasty situation. If we see some people that look snoby in the windjammer we simply keep going and find a seat somewhere else, maybe in a more quiet location or where the people are laughing and having a great time.

You have every right to hold your partner's hand as I have to hold my husband's hand. It is too bad that our society can not accept everyone.

As far as "cruise snobs", we have run into some wonderful people of all ages and some rude people too. Our biggest issue was a couple of kamikaze scooters who liked to fly down the promenade telling everyone to get out of their way. They ran into people's ankles and were really obnoxious. Unless you are walking the promenade at 6am, you are going to have to go with the flow like everyone else.

One time I was seated at a table for breakfast in the MDR before getting off at a port. It was a table for eight and there were 4 couples seated at the table, one being my wife and me. It was an oval table in the corner and my wife and I were at one end.

So we started talking to the couple closest to us. They had nothing to say. The other two couples were engaged in conversation. Then they turned to the "shut down" couple and they were, well, shut down. So I decided to answer the questions instead of them. The six of us had a lovely breakfast and conversation and the other couple was just ignored by all of us. They were in the corner against the wall and pretty well trapped. So they had to sit there until we were all done. I think they stared at the ceiling the entire time.

I just don't get some people.

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?

We were on a cruise and it was formal night we went to dinner in our formal clothes and then changed after dinner. We were told by a few guest - this is formal night on the ship and you should stay in your formal clothes, all evening. I am not quick enough but I should have said when you pay for my cruise you can tell me how to dress. No one in our group was under 50 at the time, some were first time cruisers and felt hurt by the comment - I told them consider the source and enjoy yourself.

One time I was seated at a table for breakfast in the MDR before getting off at a port. It was a table for eight and there were 4 couples seated at the table, one being my wife and me. It was an oval table in the corner and my wife and I were at one end.

So we started talking to the couple closest to us. They had nothing to say. The other two couples were engaged in conversation. Then they turned to the "shut down" couple and they were, well, shut down. So I decided to answer the questions instead of them. The six of us had a lovely breakfast and conversation and the other couple was just ignored by all of us. They were in the corner against the wall and pretty well trapped. So they had to sit there until we were all done. I think they stared at the ceiling the entire time.

I don't get some people either, what did this couple do wrong that bothered you? You have no idea if they spoke english, had a hearing problem or just were not morning people. Some people are just shy and do not want to partake in chatter. Many people avoid breakfast in the MDR because they don't want to be stuck at a large table.

I don't get some people either, what did this couple do wrong that bothered you? You have no idea if they spoke english, had a hearing problem or just were not morning people. Some people are just shy and do not want to partake in chatter. Many people avoid breakfast in the MDR because they don't want to be stuck at a large table.

They spoke english. They did sort of answer a question.

I think it's GREAT if you want to be alone. THEN BE ALONE. That's even possible on a cruise ship.

Why didn't they avoid breakfast in the MDR?

Thanks! :)

Maybe they didn't speak English? Or maybe they didn't speak to each other? I bet they had a really fun cruise! :rolleyes:

My feeling is that if people are rude, it's about them and not me. It takes a lot of effort to be so miserable and rude, and if you need to go through life/vacation/whatever that way, then that's too bad for you.

We usually get a table for 2 for dinner in the MDR because we like being alone, but if we were sitting at a table with other couples we would never ignore them. We avoid the MDR for breakfast because we are not morning people and don't even speak to each other before we get some caffeine in us! :)

Edited by bluegirlum

They spoke english. They did sort of answer a question.

I think it's GREAT if you want to be alone. THEN BE ALONE. That's even possible on a cruise ship.

Why didn't they avoid breakfast in the MDR?

Thanks! :)

I have no idea why they had breakfast in the MDR, maybe they were hungry. I just do not think they were rude because they chose not to speak during breakfast. They should have been allowed to have their meal and leave when they wanted to. The polite thing would have been to offer to let them out if they were done.

We usually get a table for 2 for dinner in the MDR because we like being alone, but if we were sitting at a table with other couples we would never ignore them. We avoid the MDR for breakfast because we are not morning people and don't even speak to each other before we get some caffeine in us! :)

Yes, this was my point. Sometimes I want to be alone with my wife and in that case, we're alone. I wouldn't sit at an 8 person table and expect to not speak to the other people at the table. Maybe it's just me, but that's my take.

I've been at a large table where everyone spoke Spanish and another where everyone spoke French. My Spanish is bad and my French is AWFUL, yet we still found a way to get some basic communication going.

But, again, maybe it's just me. *shrug*

I have no idea why they had breakfast in the MDR, maybe they were hungry. I just do not think they were rude because they chose not to speak during breakfast.

Agreed. It only came off that way. And that's about all I can go on.

They should have been allowed to have their meal and leave when they wanted to. The polite thing would have been to offer to let them out if they were done.

I was holding them hostage? If they asked I'm sure there would have been no problem letting them by. So first I'm supposed to give them a pass for not opening their mouths and then I'm supposed to read their minds?

And, thanks again! :)

Rudeness is unacceptable, but imo, you can only feel "lower class" if you allow yourself to feel this way and give up your power to another. If someone were to tell me to "shut up, girl", there would be an encounter. ;)

IMO, there is no "upper class" on mass market cruise lines, regardless of cabin category chosen. If I was a "cruise snob" or "upper class", I'd have my own, private mega yacht. ;)

I hope you encounter minimal rudeness on your future cruises. ;)

Sorry to hear this. I have also noticed some VERY VERY rude older people :eek: on ALL of my cruises so far. I don't let it ruin my holiday. Keep your chin up you have nothing to prove to any of these people. As for the woman who told your wife to "Shut Up Girl" I would have told her where to go.

And as a 61 year old female I have found that the rudest people are those in their 20s, 30s and 40s.

Agreed. It only came off that way. And that's about all I can go on.

I was holding them hostage? If they asked I'm sure there would have been no problem letting them by. So first I'm supposed to give them a pass for not opening their mouths and then I'm supposed to read their minds?

And, thanks again! :)

Give them a pass? Just because you wanted to chat at breakfast doesn't mean that everyone else had to. As far as "reading their minds" you said they were trapped and had to wait for everyone else, I suggested the polite thing to do was to offer to let them out.

Having a quiet breakfast does not make someone a snob.

I was just getting ready to comment that anyone who cruises on mass lines and thinks they're "special" is delusional. Rude people are everywhere - it depends on my mood how I deal with them, (sometimes to the horror of Miss Manners - LOL!)

A 'lady' (or should I just say woman) in front of me in the breakfast buffet actually threw 2 slices of toast at the crewmember working behind the station because it wasn't toasted dark enough to her liking. When he toasted 2 slices for her, they were too dark and she crumbled one slice in her hand and threw the crumbs at him. It was too much for me to handle. I suggested that she should avoid the buffet in the future since she was annoying fellow passengers with her boorish behavior. (No wonder the rest of the world just loves us Americans :D)

I've also seen people waddling from the buffet with 3 plates lined up each arm and negotiating the traffic expertly on the way to their feeding trough. Balancing acts like that need to be on America's Got Talent.

Then there are the people that just don't have common sense. Last year in Antigua, we took an excursion that drove through a relatively poor area of the city. The homes were in poor condition with no windows. Being a very hot day (surprising, huh?), a woman in our tour bus actually asked where the people kept their air conditioning units since they weren't visible from the street.

Those are the only 3 incidents that stand out in my memory from our cruises.

All in all, people are very nice and extremely friendly. One year our tablemates were a Mexican couple from Chihuahua just slightly older than us. He spoke broken English and she didn't speak it at all (or so he said). They were very engaging. He was a lingerie salesman down there and she ran a lingerie store - at least that's what I got out of the translation. The waiter approached them the 3rd night and asked if they would prefer to be seated with a group that spoke Spanish as there were 2 openings at that table. The couple insisted that they were staying with us; my wife and I tried to explain that we would not be offended, but they wouldn't hear of it. We were pleased that they enjoyed our company. On the last night I had the waiter bring a cake to celebrate her birthday; the smile was priceless.

I suggested the polite thing to do was to offer to let them out.

I'll keep that in mind for the future. You are obviously an honary member of the polite police. I hope we can have breakfast together soon. I'm sure it will be a blast.

I guess the good news is, you're less than 1400 posts away from a big reward. Congrats! Keep working on it.

The worst behaviour we have seen on a ship was at the Schooner Bar on the Majesty. DH and I were sitting at the somewhat crowded bar, the bartender working his buns off getting everyone their drinks. This large family comes up to the end of the bar with their soda mugs and starts pounding them on the bar shouting to the bartender 'over here we need soda'. The poor bartender looked at those sitting 'quietly' at the bar, gave that sorry look and went to fill their mugs. He was not a happy camper. We had seen this family around the ship a few times and always in situations such as this and no they were not snobs, as a matter of fact I wondered how many of them shared the same room back at home :eek:. Quite an interesting bunch.

As for the older people being more rude. My father was in the customer service industry his whole career. Everyone loved him and he was great with all of his customers. When he got older he had had enough of being nice and got quite grumpy. When I told him he was a grumpy old man he told me it was his turn. I loved my father dearly but boy was he tough to live around during his last year or so.

I'll keep that in mind for the future. You are obviously an honary member of the polite police. I hope we can have breakfast together soon. I'm sure it will be a blast.

I guess the good news is, you're less than 1400 posts away from a big reward. Congrats! Keep working on it.

Polite police? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you gave yours, I gave mine.

As far as the comment on my post count, I have no idea what "big reward" you are talking about. I post an average of just over 3 posts a day your average is more than double that in your short time on cruise critic. If you don't like my opinions, put me on ignore.

Most rude older people were once rude younger people.

Absolutely. Members of the "ME" generation come in all ages, sizes, etc.

I was waiting in line at the reception desk on the Westerdam to check on something and the "gentleman" ahead of me was complaining that he and his wife hadn't gotten any dinner one evening. This was on a cruise in November - the cruise we were on was the first week of March. :confused:

I felt sorry for the young lady who was helping him - he wasn't particularly nice to her. Unfortunately I finished what I was doing so I didn't get a chance to hear how the "situation" was resolved.

The rudest by far are the ones who call older people rude.Such selfish self centered snobs.No doubt their children will treat them badly one day with attitudes like that

:cj

Huh?:confused: We found the rudest people on our one and only HAL cruise and they were all older. We are in our 40's and were by far among the youngest onboard. We had a miserable time onboard because of all the rude and nasty old people. We couldn't wait to get off the ship on port days! You couldn't pay us to sail on HAL again, at least not for another 30-40 years!:eek:

Interesting post- I have some bad news for you and please do not take offense - - we ain't getting any younger so if ya think it's the old folks - that will be you sooner than you think ! :D BTW - I am old and not grumpy at least not IMO :D

I learned at a very young age - there are all kinds of people and as long as I choose my travel partner - the rest are just our entertainment.

Seriously - I am finding this all interesting - I booked my my first RCL - thought everyone on these ships are climbing walls and surfing - hmmm - now I m hearing that they are old and grumpy - Just kidding:D

We cruise more often with HAL - makes me feel young especially on TA.

Two quick stories

On our first TA - BTW- the average age on our last was probably 69 and gotta tell you they were the kindest friendliest bunch that I have ever been with- their patience and thoughtfulness was contagious. The funny part was all but 500 got off once we were in Europe - we went out for the day and came back to the most rude impatient unkind people I have ever experienced anywhere. It was bizarre. Long story short- You just never know what the experience will be - have seen rudeness not limited to any age group.

Second story - on a winter B2B we had to get off and go through customs and go back - we are waiting for someone to show up and there is this lady putting on airs who makes a big show about inconveniencing everyone - things escalate words are exchanged and before we know it we have two elderly men ready to throw punches- well at least we were entertained while we waited.

Other than that we have been pretty lucky in our travels. I think tht most people want to have a good time but sometimes other extenuating crisumstances impact their behavior and then there is the other one - they have always been grumpy cause that is the way some people se life and IMO that is their loss - thank goodness the ships are big!!:D

It's interesting to see whom people have encountered and found rude. I'm in my 30s and know I'm cranky when I don't feel good. Frankly, after seeing what happened with my grandparents, I don't look forward to getting old. They were not happy people as they aged. They tried, but a lot of days, even on vacation, things just got to them more easily. Not that old age excuses things, but I try to think of it as what if those people were my parents or grandparents. Sometimes they don't realize they're being rude. Sometimes they're just tired and want it just to get better or easier. Some people have just been enabled by their families and expect to get the same treatment by everyone else. I just try to think about the fact that I'm lucky not to walk with a cane or use a scooter or have to yell because I don't know any better. They have things a lot harder than I do. I'm not perfect and have my days, but you'll find people with "stuff" everywhere.