Who was on the Golden 5/15 Alaska sailing out of Seattle?

JulesNJ

I was on this cruise with my friend and we both got so sick.

I spent the first day of the cruise in bed with terrible sea-sickness and ended up getting a shot and some pills from the medical nurse which made me feel better. I spent the rest of the cruise taking pills which gave me that 'drugged up' feeling :( (I tried the wrist bands, they didn't work for me).

My friend, 2 days before the cruise ended caught (what I believe) to be a gastrointestinal virus (Novo?) and again, the medical team gave her a shot and some pills.

I am really impressed with the way Princess handle sickness. On the days we both got sick, our cabins were disinfected by a team wearing face masks 3 times a day. The poor people in the cabin next door to us must have thought we were a pair of diseased monkeys! :D

What really aggravated me is that during the cruise, I happened to be in an elevator with a group of Southern women. One of them was telling the others how sick she was feeling (she described my friend's symptoms to a tee) and she blamed it on food poisoning. It is people like this who spread germs to others and was the reason my friend was laid up in bed sick with a virus. :mad:

Was anyone on CC on this cruise with us? Did any of you experience sea sickness? This was only my second cruise. My first cruise was on the Caribbean Princess for my honeymoon last year and I didn't have sea sickness at all. It was my best vacation ever.

The medical team and the Lotus Spa personnel on this Alaskan cruise kept telling me the waters were calm. Could it have been our cabin location? We were at the back of the ship and before I got sick, I was at the gym working out (front of the ship).

Hubby and I are taking the Caribbean Princess again in July for our 1 year anniversary - here is to hoping the waters are calm!:D I have heard that the ear patches work wonders. Can anyone attest to this? I'd like to bring something with us just in case.

Normally, they don't give shots and pills for seasickness, so you might rethink that. As to who was on your cruise with you, try the Roll Call. The Princess Roll Call forum has a list of all the ships, select yours, then find the cruise date and there you are. Gives you lots of contacts.

Denny

Are you positive what you had was seasickness? Or could you possibly had a touch of the virus yourself?

Well, I did not have the same symptoms. My friend had severe stomach aches and diarrhea. When I was sick, the nurse kept asking me if I had any stomach issues and I had none. I have suffered from motion sickness before, this was without a doubt sea sickness.

Normally, they don't give shots and pills for seasickness, so you might rethink that. As to who was on your cruise with you, try the Roll Call. The Princess Roll Call forum has a list of all the ships, select yours, then find the cruise date and there you are. Gives you lots of contacts.

Denny

The nurse informed me my shot was for seasickness. Are you suggesting she lied about that? The pills were too (I looked them up actually). They absolutely do help people with seasickness, where on earth did you get your information from?

Sounds like even though your trip was not the dream trip you planned. You are not blaming all of the planets problems on Princess. (assuming you didn't have seasickness) As you know, people are traveling bags of germs and viruses. Now put thousands of people inside a ship and the chances of picking up something skyrocket. It happens on airplanes all the time. Hope on your next cruise you are spared having to go thru this again.:eek:

The nurse informed me my shot was for seasickness. Are you suggesting she lied about that? The pills were too (I looked them up actually). They absolutely do help people with seasickness, where on earth did you get your information from?

As said by another poster, I would check the roll call for this sailing and maybe post there also with your question. You can locate it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=990658

I swear each year Alaska cruises are infected with Noro Virus, I can't think of a year that hasn't been recently. Many passengers do not realize when they contract something contagious that it spreads like wildfire onboard a ship.

Sounds like even though your trip was not the dream trip you planned. You are not blaming all of the planets problems on Princess. As you know, people are traveling bags of germs and viruses. Now put thousands of people inside a ship and the chances of picking up something skyrocket. It happens on airplanes all the time. Hope on your next cruise you are spared having to go thru this again.:eek:

If anything I thought Princess were absolutely brilliant. I am really impressed with how they disinfected our cabin several times. The medical team were amazing too (especially Louise, who came to our cabin at 3:00am!)

I have only been on 2 cruises (my 3rd is coming up in July). Both my husband and I are so impressed with Princess, we'd never dream of even trying another line.:D

And after reading all the posts on CC about how it could be rough seas out of Seattle, I made sure I took my Bonine and had my ginger capsules with me. I had no problem and didn't meet anyone on the ship who mentioned being sick. Actually, I had a great time. Sorry, you and your cabin mate were ill, but it does sound like Princess acted accordingly when they cleaned your cabin. I usually try not to use the public bathrooms and return to my cabin if I need a restroom.

Dancing Lady

I know someone that works on the Sapphire. The ship is currently experiencing a "code red" for Norovirus. Some of the crew members are in isolation. So maybe this all started the week you were onboard. :confused:

I am so sorry to hear it was such a rough week. :(

Denny

Giving shots for seasickness is VERY common on cruise ships for pax they believe are chronic seasickness victims. As the OP stated the crew stated how calm the water was and she was still very ill which sounds like chronic motion sickness. If thats the case you may want to consider if cruising is right for you.

When I was in the Navy I saw a few people actually discharged early because they just could not function at sea due to this. This one guy would start hurling as soon as the lines were released everytime the ship got underway! :eek:

I know someone that works on the Sapphire. The ship is currently experiencing a "code red" for Norovirus. Some of the crew members are in isolation. So maybe this all started the week you were onboard. :confused:

I am so sorry to hear it was such a rough week. :(

I am glad to hear I am not crazy:D What an awful thing to happen, I am not surprised however - I did see a lot of people also walking about looking a bit green.:eek:

I am glad to hear I am not crazy:D What an awful thing to happen, I am not surprised however - I did see a lot of people also walking about looking a bit green.:eek:

I thought you were on the Golden, she was reporting on Sapphire. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they both had issues! :eek:

We were on the Golden Princess May 15th out of Seattle. We had relatively calm seas on the total round trip passage.

We had first time cruisers traveling with us and they were not effected by the sea state -- both took the precaution of using prescription anti-seasickness patches.

We did not hear of any noro virus problems on board during the cruise.

P&J

I thought you were on the Golden, she was reporting on Sapphire. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they both had issues! :eek:

OOPS!!! Sorry about that!!!!!! I saw Seattle and made a bad assumption that it was the Sapphire. :o:o

What really aggravated me is that during the cruise, I happened to be in an elevator with a group of Southern women. One of them was telling the others how sick she was feeling (she described my friend's symptoms to a tee) and she blamed it on food poisoning. It is people like this who spread germs to others and was the reason my friend was laid up in bed sick with a virus. :mad:

You didn't mention anything about being quarantined. Maybe you or your friend picked it up the day before and gave it to these SOUTHERN women!

For anyone who wants to spend time on boats/ships of any size but has mostion sickness, try the Relief Bands...wrist bands that send out electric pulses--they work wonders. They aren't cheap (between $100 and $200) but if you spend a lot of uncomfortable time on the water, PRICELESS:D

They work for pregnant women's morning sickness, too.

On our very first cruise we left Seattle for Alaska on the Diamond years ago and words can't describe how sick I was. It was motion sickness and I was literally became immobile. My husband went to the ship store and after standing in a long line with other husbands he emerged back to the cabin with Sailors Secret which are ginger pills. Within a couple of hours I was feeling much better.

This past March on a cruise to Hawaii once again I got really sick. Prior to the cruise I purchased a big bottle of ginger from a health food store. I switched to a different brand because the cruise was 2 weeks long and I wanted to be prepared with a bottle of 250. The stuff didn't work at all. I learned my lesson - I will only use Sailors Secret - its a bit more expensive - but I hadn't been sick on any of the other cruises in between the first and the 8th. I do pop them like skittles but they do seem to work for me.

The Scop patches (by prescription) that are put behind the ear for 3 days and then change it, work absolutely great for me).....some say they give them dry mouth....well, I fix that by drinkin'...

WATER (or diet coke)

As someone who has gotten seasick her entire life (my mom said I vomited on the way home from the hospital--no lie!) I can attest to the effectiveness of scopolamine patches. I have tried every remedy from ginger tabs to electronic wristbands and the patches are the only thing that work for me. If it were not for them, I would not be able to cruise. They were sorely tested on our October Canada/NE cruise last year when we ran into a Nor'easter with 80 knot winds and 22 foot waves. I felt queasy that day but did not get violently sick as I surely would have without the patch.

Smooth sailings!

This discussion is making me want to be double sure that our cruise just sails in the inside passage next year, not West of Vancouver Island. We don't get sea sick (DH and I) but our children are newbi cruisers as is my sister and family.

Looks like we have to stick with HAL and take one of the Vancouver RT sailings since none of the Princess RT itiniaries stay in the inside passage all the way up and back.

Katherine

Keep learning stuff on these Forums! Never knew there were shots and pills for seasickness once you were being ill. Good to know! Thanks, and I stand corrected. I've learned to Never question a nurse.

Denny

Just got off the Golden. I took generic Dramamine/Bonine (generic=$5.99 and is called Meclazine) chewable with absolutely ZERO side effects.

I also bought a bottle of Ginger ($4.00) and took those as often as I wanted with no side effects.

Both of these products were bought at Wal-Mart and I didn't have a moment of queasiness, or problems with motion on the Golden. I don't know if I suffer from seasickness. I never took the chance. The pills were cheap and have no side effects.

I cruised the week after you, May 22, but there was no mention of noro or any problems from your cruise.

For heavens sake, head to Wally Mart and be prepared for you upcoming cruise. Hope you have the trip of a lifetime and it makes up for what you did not experience this time.

Archived