Who was on the Golden 5/15 Alaska sailing out of Seattle?

JulesNJ

My DH takes Bonine. He starts the morning before the cruise and then one pill every morning during it.

We tried the patches once. They made him feel groggy. He said he missed Grand Cayman that time--although we did tender in and walk around.

And our first Alaskan cruise had rough water the first night. Someone had placed a glass in a drawer. It rolled back and forth in the drawer until I finally got up and found it.

I have used the patches in the past and they have worked. I would suggest trying one before your cruise since they affect different people in different ways. They can caused blurred vision, dry mouth, etc. They generally cause dry mouth for me, but I can deal with that rather than being sick. They have worked great for me on 7 day cruises. I used the patch on a 12 day Mediterranean cruise this past November. They worked great again, but I had sort of withdrawal symptoms after taking off the patch. It is my understanding that is a possible side effect for some people.

I'm going to try some OTC bonine/dramamine and some ginger for our 14 day cruise in Alaska in August.

The nurse informed me my shot was for seasickness. Are you suggesting she lied about that? The pills were too (I looked them up actually). They absolutely do help people with seasickness, where on earth did you get your information from?

Ships' doctors/nurses have always been able to give you the 'magic shot' for severe seasickness although I have never had to avail myself of one:D

If you were at the aft section of the ship, it is possible you were feeling the vibrations from the engines and that made you sick. My husband used to get really ill on the small ships on our first cruises even when the water was perfectly flat.

Bonine works wonders for motion sickness.

We were on the Golden from LA to Vancouver..got off the ship before she began the Alaska Season. Know for a fact there were 10 cabins quarantined from N. Virus (not a large percentage).

We were on this sailing too and I didn't notice anyone obvious signs of sickness but like op said 10 is very small amount. the seas were rough on the first day luckily I love the movement.

Intestinal viruses and sea sickness start out similar.. .the big difference is the diaharria (yup i said it) if you get it you can't really leave the cabin you don't want to leave the cabin you need to be close to a washroom. The symptoms last for about 12 hours (as per ship's doctor) 12 more hours to build up strength, then 24 more hours in quarantine to make sure you are okay (however doctor did say you will be antsy to get out in the last 24 hours). The worst thing is if you are out and about on the ship while you are sick this is when you will be possibly sharing the gift of sickness. These comments are from the doctor on board the Ruby last January when we did the Ultimate Ship's tour and we had a break out of the virus.

I've never been sea sick so I can't comment on how long those symptoms last.

I am just glad you were able to get the medical treatment and your friend too. I believe you should try sailing again and see how it goes. It may have been a one time thing. Good luck

Archived