New Portable Oxygen Concentrator - Inogen One G2

cechase

We received the Inogen G2just prior to heading out for a 2wk land cruise (western states). Everything said about it proved true. However it did not work for Oscar. He had Polio, and has very little muscle in his diaphram, so he could not take a breath deep enough to pull in sufficient oxygen. Even kicking it up to 5 ltr, his sats stayed in the 80"s. For someone with more diaphram strength it will be a great machine. Yes it is very very quiet!!! We are disappointed, but it was definately worth the try.

We are hoping and praying to find a good used inogen or inogen2 to use with DD while traveling. Renting O2 concentrators is getting very expensive and insurance will not pay for rentals and our in-home concentrator is HUGE! Thanks for your review:)!

Don't even hope!!! Ain't happening with this crap company!!!!

Imogen WILL NOT allow ANY OTHER company to fix their machines. My neighbor gave one of my employees an Imogen I (used 2 years before Medicare kicked in and another company gave Bill a free, different brand portable unit). Imogen is the biggest rip off company for seniors who don't have a lot of money I have every seen.

The On/Off Switch went out. $100-200 for ANY OTHER portable ox concentrator for repair on the ON/Off switch. Imogen has to be sent to the factory-ESTIMATED COST-$500-1900 DEPENDING on what they decide to do to it to make their 3 year REFURBISHED warranty complete.

A NEW Imogen ONE (they still sell them) is $2900. A REFURBISHED Imogen One with Warranty is $2200.

A TOTAL RIP-look elsewhere-even the new, lighter, more portable Imogen is filled with all kinds of PROHIBITIONS about fixing the things if they break down UNLESS you are the FIRST owner and can afford to send it back to the manufacture.

There are so many seniors who end up in long term care or die and the portable oxygen machines go totally to waste because you can't get it refilled or fixed due to crap government regulations which are backed by the manufacturers that want to make a heap of money. WHAT A RIP!!!!

Our great government at work!!! You might as well DIE due to all the CRAPPY restrictions on REFURBISHING/USING used OXYGEN equipment!!! My employee has been in the ER 3 times in the last 4 months just to get air enough to breathe. He is 62 years old and our company health policy WILL NOT cover him because of his pulmonary problems. So he will probably just DIE trying to get a breath because even though he makes about $40,000 per year, that is NOT enough. He pays roughly $1400 per month house payment, a $350 car payment, all utility bills (about $700 per month) plus food and insurance. He sure can't afford to pay for NEW oxygen equipment and all the oxygen. He could have afforded the repair to the Imogen One (even up to $500) plus anything else. That ain't happening now due to the greed perpetrated by our government and the rules making health care so darn expensive.

Such is the state of the US economy and all the rules and regulations that health care has imposed on people.

Normal, middle of the road, $40-50,000 per year people should just plan on dying if they don't make it to Medicare age before they have health problems.

I purchased my new InogenOne G2 directly from the manufacturer about 2 months ago. In the past they didn't sell direct, but have been doing so because of so much fraud on the internet. I found them to be overly concerned about their customers. The customer service rep went out of his way to get my prescription quickly from my doctor. My unit has a lifetime warranty. (The batteries are not lifetime warranty.) I'm not sure what the government has to do with your friend's machine problems. Most insurance and Medicare will not pay for these portable machines. Insurance and Medicare will pay for other types of O2 machines (tanks, liquid, etc.).

I purchased my new InogenOne G2 directly from the manufacturer about 2 months ago. In the past they didn't sell direct, but have been doing so because of so much fraud on the internet. I found them to be overly concerned about their customers. The customer service rep went out of his way to get my prescription quickly from my doctor. My unit has a lifetime warranty. (The batteries are not lifetime warranty.) I'm not sure what the government has to do with your friend's machine problems. Most insurance and Medicare will not pay for these portable machines. Insurance and Medicare will pay for other types of O2 machines (tanks, liquid, etc.).

Read the fine print for durable medical equipment in most insurance policies. A VERY large percentage of equipment is only warranted or can ONLY be REPAIRED by the ORIGINAL owner. All done in compliance with the government health care policies.

And that is the point. Lots of these portable machines floating around at estate sales, on Ebay, etc. etc. You buy one and then you can't get them repaired UNLESS you are the ORIGINAL owner.

Just like the one given to my employee-my friend got one they liked better, so the Imogen One sat unused for over 3 years in a closet. My friend had paid cash for the Imogen One initially-almost $4000. Now it needs a MINOR repair. But only HE can get it repaired (my employee can't) and Imogen WILL NOT repair JUST the switch. They insist on a $500-1900 "total refurbishment" of the machine to effect a 3 year warranty.

And all of this is written in accord with government health policies. My employee is trying to get PCIP insurance (Pre condition insurance plan). They DO pay for portable units IF they determine it is needed. BUT you CANNOT buy a USED portable unit, have it repaired/certified because NO COMPANY can or will do the work except the original manufacturer. And that policy is part of government health care and written into insurance policies for durable medical equipment. So my employee has the choice of paying out of pocket about $4000 for a NEW portable unit (can't afford), getting onto the PCIP insurance and paying 20% of the $4000 for a new portable unit ($800) or going without a portable unit. In this day of sky high medical costs, would it not be better to allow someone to get a portable concentrator used from wherever at a huge discount (estate sales) or free (like my employee from my friend) and be able to GET IT FIXED if there was something wrong? Can't do it and it is a shame.

Read the fine print for durable medical equipment in most insurance policies. A VERY large percentage of equipment is only warranted or can ONLY be REPAIRED by the ORIGINAL owner. All done in compliance with the government health care policies.

And that is the point. Lots of these portable machines floating around at estate sales, on Ebay, etc. etc. You buy one and then you can't get them repaired UNLESS you are the ORIGINAL owner.

Just like the one given to my employee-my friend got one they liked better, so the Imogen One sat unused for over 3 years in a closet. My friend had paid cash for the Imogen One initially-almost $4000. Now it needs a MINOR repair. But only HE can get it repaired (my employee can't) and Imogen WILL NOT repair JUST the switch. They insist on a $500-1900 "total refurbishment" of the machine to effect a 3 year warranty.

And all of this is written in accord with government health policies. My employee is trying to get PCIP insurance (Pre condition insurance plan). They DO pay for portable units IF they determine it is needed. BUT you CANNOT buy a USED portable unit, have it repaired/certified because NO COMPANY can or will do the work except the original manufacturer. And that policy is part of government health care and written into insurance policies for durable medical equipment. So my employee has the choice of paying out of pocket about $4000 for a NEW portable unit (can't afford), gettingican onto the PCIP insurance and paying 20% of the $4000 for a new portable unit ($800) or going without a portable unit. In this day of sky high medical costs, would it not be better to allow someone to get a portable concentrator used from wherever at a huge discount (estate sales) or free (like my employee from my friend) and be able to GET IT FIXED if there was something wrong? Can't do it and it is a shame.

I suppose the problem starts with the fact that a "prescription" from a Doctor is required to purchase an oxygen machine. Tests have to confirm the need for supplemental oxygen ... and a "prescription for the correct oxygen setting" must come from a Doctor. Not letting someone buy one at a garage sale and start using it probably is a good thing, IMO.

Doesn't each cruise line have regulations about Oxygen. I have read on the Carnival site that you need to bring enough Oxygen to get you through a cruise in case the electricity goes out. That is a lot of big bottles to mess with along with the smaller portable ones.

We are new to this Oxygen thing. DH had to go on continuous flow for sleeping setting 3 and can use pulse during waking hrs. If we drive to the post, that means hauling lots of bottles. One large Oxygen bottle at continuous flow will not even get him through the night.

It was suggested to me when I asked about the liquid Oxygen, to go that way.

Doesn't each cruise line have regulations about Oxygen. I have read on the Carnival site that you need to bring enough Oxygen to get you through a cruise in case the electricity goes out. That is a lot of big bottles to mess with along with the smaller portable ones.

We are new to this Oxygen thing. DH had to go on continuous flow for sleeping setting 3 and can use pulse during waking hrs. If we drive to the post, that means hauling lots of bottles. One large Oxygen bottle at continuous flow will not even get him through the night.

It was suggested to me when I asked about the liquid Oxygen, to go that way.

Carolyn -

I would contact Carnival's Special Needs department to clarify the point. I don't believe any cruise lines would require you to have liquid oxygen plus concentrators (I'm assuming you use at least one type of concentrator? or do you do the refill from the canister?)

We have a portable (Respironics Evergo) with 4 batteries for "out-and-about" and a Sequal III (with 3 batteries) that DH only uses in the cabin. He generally uses 2.5 up to 3 lpm (depends on his day - pulse during the day when out of cabin, continuous all other times).

We have not had supplemental liquid oxygen for cruising (at least not yet). Plus, in general, you need O2 to be delivered to the ship since you cannot pack it, send through x-ray, etc. There are companies that do this if this is the type your DH is used to.

Special Needs is generally super-accommodating at explaining rules, etc. We've only been doing this ourselves for the past year. Trust me, you learn fast! :)

Happy Cruising!

Heidi

Carolyn -

I would contact Carnival's Special Needs department to clarify the point. I don't believe any cruise lines would require you to have liquid oxygen plus concentrators (I'm assuming you use at least one type of concentrator? or do you do the refill from the canister?)

We have a portable (Respironics Evergo) with 4 batteries for "out-and-about" and a Sequal III (with 3 batteries) that DH only uses in the cabin. He generally uses 2.5 up to 3 lpm (depends on his day - pulse during the day when out of cabin, continuous all other times).

We have not had supplemental liquid oxygen for cruising (at least not yet). Plus, in general, you need O2 to be delivered to the ship since you cannot pack it, send through x-ray, etc. There are companies that do this if this is the type your DH is used to.

Special Needs is generally super-accommodating at explaining rules, etc. We've only been doing this ourselves for the past year. Trust me, you learn fast! :)

Happy Cruising!

Heidi

We purchased a Sequal to use in the cabin (continuous at night) and the small Inogen to use out and about. Our next cruise (7-day Coastal) in a couple weeks will be our first experience of bringing oxygen on a ship. Hopefully this will work well for us. Glad to see this is working well for you... And you are so right ---- "you learn fast"... These threads have been so helpful for us.

Happy cruisin'

Carol

We purchased a Sequal to use in the cabin (continuous at night) and the small Inogen to use out and about. Our next cruise (7-day Coastal) in a couple weeks will be our first experience of bringing oxygen on a ship. Hopefully this will work well for us. Glad to see this is working well for you... And you are so right ---- "you learn fast"... These threads have been so helpful for us.

Happy cruisin'

Carol

Hi Carol -

The only thing that I have to work on yet is carrying the chargers/extra batteries and the rest of the "stuff" he needs (nebulizer, meds, laptop, etc.). I had a small luggage cart - but it didn't work so well for me (too heavy a load). So, I'm looking into a totally collapsible "trolley" type (flat bed cart). Seems like it will be *much* easier for me to get the stuff on board (since DH uses a rollator and cannot assist me at all).

You'll be fine. Just remember that it takes a bit to adjust to where stuff goes, etc. - and if you need an extension cord (depends on cabin set-up - we did NOT need one - he just used his 25 ft of "leash" and it was fine) (actually, I think it can be harder on "us" than on "them" ;) sometimes). First day aboard can be taxing on both of you - so you may need to adjust your expectations as well (depending on what you were used to doing in a "normal" cruise day).

The first trip I was a wreck. This last one - I even left him on-board "alone" :rolleyes: (yeah, like someone's ever alone on a ship) when I did a night tour (and he's truly home alone all day usually when I work - but, for me, it was a big step - DH said he was proud of me :p).

I've found that, especially this last trip, I actually enjoyed myself *more* since we have slowed down the pace.

Happy Cruising!!!

Heidi

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing information about portable oxygen concentrators on this message board. My mother-in-law has been on oxygen just at night for almost 3 years and was told recently by her doctor that she needs to be on it 24/7. We have a 10-day cruise coming up soon and were absolutely baffled as to what type of equipment she might need.

I researched on this board and found some helpful hints, so we're going to help her order the Inogen G2 tomorrow. She's finally come to the realization that she does indeed need the POC, after trying the small canister of oxygen for her doctor's appointment today. The doctor said that the Inogen G2 would be appropriate for her needs so that's the plan!

We hope everything will go well with the airline and cruise experience and just wanted to let you all know how much we appreciated hearing that folks DO still get out and travel even though they may be limited somewhat by their medical needs.

Toni & Randy

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing information about portable oxygen concentrators on this message board. My mother-in-law has been on oxygen just at night for almost 3 years and was told recently by her doctor that she needs to be on it 24/7. We have a 10-day cruise coming up soon and were absolutely baffled as to what type of equipment she might need.

I researched on this board and found some helpful hints, so we're going to help her order the Inogen G2 tomorrow. She's finally come to the realization that she does indeed need the POC, after trying the small canister of oxygen for her doctor's appointment today. The doctor said that the Inogen G2 would be appropriate for her needs so that's the plan!

We hope everything will go well with the airline and cruise experience and just wanted to let you all know how much we appreciated hearing that folks DO still get out and travel even though they may be limited somewhat by their medical needs.

Toni & Randy

I agree -- and am thankful to all that have shared experiences and ideas. This will be our first cruise with oxygen & a mobility scooter as DH now gets out of breadth when he walks too far. But, we still have that desire to continue to travel!! And a special thanks to Frick & Frack for helpful hints.

Toni & Randy

Toni & Randy - I'm certain you will all have a wonderful time! The POC is truly a wonderful item and makes the person who needs it feel much more independent. I don't know how "strong" your MIL is - so you may need to help carry (or use the little rolly-cart, etc.). My DH can carry his for a bit, but it tires him so he uses his rollator now (unless it's a trip where we rent a scooter for him). We've gone to the "piggy-back method" for gangways (if we tour by bus where his rollator goes with us) - I go in front with his rollator with the POC in the basket, with him directly behind me. This way, he can still walk (if the incline isn't really steep) but I have the "load". (Helps with his dignity as well since he feels depressed when they have to take him up/down with the wheelchair.) Security was great with it on our last trip (they knew us from March) and were like "The Train is pulling into the station" - had us cracking up! :D)

I agree -- and am thankful to all that have shared experiences and ideas. This will be our first cruise with oxygen & a mobility scooter as DH now gets out of breadth when he walks too far. But, we still have that desire to continue to travel!! And a special thanks to Frick & Frack for helpful hints.

Carol - no problem at all. I just remember for our March cruise how crazed I was about thinking of everything and planning (given that DH almost didn't make it in ICU that past October). Then I popped up here and saw everyone else traveling all around and I picked myself up and jumped in.

There are so many scooter types and POC choices out there - this is a great place for information about that as well. At least here we get all the good and bad to help us make informed decisions so we can all keep cruising and enjoying life to the fullest! Plus, it is great to hear what has worked (or not) for those of us who have to do the packing and "schlepping" of all the medical gear.

Happy Cruising everyone! :)

Archived