Valor vs Glory

lla887

Anyone have any preference between the Valor and the Glory? I know they're virtually identical ships in terms of layouts, offerings, and itineraries, but I was wondering if anyone here preferred one over the other and why?

Thanks in advance.

Our first cruise was on Valor, second on Glory - maybe it was the wow-factor of a first cruise, but I really preferred Valor - why? First, the food was better on Valor, can't exactly explain why (it was ok on Glory too), but quality seemed better overall, and I also thought the dining room was nicer and service a bit faster. Also, we didn't make it to the specialty restaurant on Glory but on Valour it was amazing - well worth the extra cost. I also preferred the decor on Valor (though some find it a bit too "loud"), it just seemed fresher and more modern (especially the lido buffet). Gym was nicer too - Glory still has the big indoor jacuzzi which takes up a lot of space and gives off that cholorine smell - on Valour there's a nice big aerobics/yoga studio in that space. Service was comparable on both as was the entertainment. I should note though that we sailed Glory just before the most recent drydock, so it's probably been spruced up a bit since then (with the addition of an adults only area and the big movie screen). Of course that's just my opinion - they are both great ships, identical layout, so you really can't go wrong, if ports are the issue, then just pick the itinerary that looks best and have a great cruise!

Here is what i understand/know:

1-Valor is about 6 months newer

2-The decor on the valor is alot better, american presidents

We had the same question regarding our cruise we just booked, our lady at carnival says that she enjoyed Valor more because the american history!

Both a good ship/choice

GOod luck!

We had the same question regarding our cruise we just booked, our lady at carnival says that she enjoyed Valor more because the american history!

Both a good ship/choice

GOod luck!

Whoa, wait....there's pics of American Presidents on the Valor? Yuck. That would make me ill, forget about seasickness.

Loved them both. Valor was our first cruise, so she holds a special place in our hearts. Glory was our most fun cruise, so she does too. I'd say price/itinerary should make your decision, bc other than the pepto-hosed dining room on Valor (LOL) nothing stand out one way or the other to me about either ship.

Both a good ship/choice

GOod luck!

I'm fairly sure Glory started sailing in 1999 and Valor in 2005...did you mean 6 YEARS?

The only time I remember seeing American Presidents is surrounding the atrium bar. They were all strangely back-lit sculptures and I seriously was waiting for them to start singing or something oddly automated, LOL. The theme is "Heroes and Herosim", I think. Like "Winston's Bar" (what used to be the Cigar Bar), "Rosie's" lido buffet (for Rosie the Riveter), etc.

Thanks for the replies. Your opinions are very helpful. Was leaning towards the glory before now thinking valor.

I am not an American. Would all the American imagery on the valor be a little much for a foreigner?

Not at all. The ship isn't about all only American heroes...the only thing you'd probably notice would be on the atrium bar floor, I think there's an inlay of the flooring in the pattern of an American flag. Lots of pics in my Valor photo album, link below in my signature in green.

According to a certain cruise site the Glory was built in 2003 and the Valor in 2004. I've seen photos of the Valor and the decor looks really gawdy to me with the bold flag decor all over and presidents' faces. I've avoided a cruise on the Valor for that reason alone.

http://carnivalpressroom.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/37-years-of-fun-a-history-of-carnival-cruise-lines/

2003- Second 110,000-ton “Conquest-class” ship, the Carnival Glory, begins year-round seven-day cruises from Port Canaveral, Fla., July 19

A third 110,000-ton “Conquest-class” ship, the Carnival Valor, launches year-round seven-day service from Miami Dec. 19, 2004, becoming the largest “Fun Ship” ever based at that port.

Glory will be going into drydock in Nov, so if the OP is planning to sail in 2011 or 12, that might be something to consider.

Not at all. The ship isn't about all only American heroes...the only thing you'd probably notice would be on the atrium bar floor, I think there's an inlay of the flooring in the pattern of an American flag. Lots of pics in my Valor photo album, link below in my signature in green.

Great pics. Thank you very much.

IMO, Both are excellent ships. I always thought the food aboard "Glory" was the best in the fleet, but of course that's a matter of taste. "Valor" decor is outstanding I thought, and I really enjoyed my cruises aboard that ship as well. Bottom line is, that you won't go wrong with either.

"SKY"

I loved both ships. Would cruise on either one of them again in a second. We had a better diningroom staff on the Glory, but everything else was equal. Loved the decor on both ships for different reasons. Whichever you choose, you cant lose. Enjoy!

I'm fairly sure Glory started sailing in 1999 and Valor in 2005...did you mean 6 YEARS?

The only time I remember seeing American Presidents is surrounding the atrium bar. They were all strangely back-lit sculptures and I seriously was waiting for them to start singing or something oddly automated, LOL. The theme is "Heroes and Herosim", I think. Like "Winston's Bar" (what used to be the Cigar Bar), "Rosie's" lido buffet (for Rosie the Riveter), etc.

Hmmm...yeah. Are there any other Carnival ships that feature something like this? Or even a lot of Americana decor? We are not American either and it is not something I think we would particularily enjoy. Not that I have anything AGAINST the USA or American presidents etc but just wondering...

http://carnivalpressroom.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/37-years-of-fun-a-history-of-carnival-cruise-lines/

2003- Second 110,000-ton “Conquest-class” ship, the Carnival Glory, begins year-round seven-day cruises from Port Canaveral, Fla., July 19

A third 110,000-ton “Conquest-class” ship, the Carnival Valor, launches year-round seven-day service from Miami Dec. 19, 2004, becoming the largest “Fun Ship” ever based at that port.

Glory will be going into drydock in Nov, so if the OP is planning to sail in 2011 or 12, that might be something to consider.

We are sailing Feb 2011 so this could be good for us. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the replies. Your opinions are very helpful. Was leaning towards the glory before now thinking valor.

I am not an American. Would all the American imagery on the valor be a little much for a foreigner?

We're not American either (and I'm not much for overt nationalism of any kind) so I was a bit worried about that too before we went, but as I said earlier, I actually really liked the decor. As someone else mentioned, the theme is more about heroes in general than the stars and stripes. There is another thread on here somewhere with some recent pics of the Valor, including the Rosie the Riveter mural which was my absolute favourite (OT- I lost my best friend to cancer a few years ago, and when we were in college she used to dress as Rosie for Halloween, so it brought back lots of great memories)... and I don't even remember the Presidents statues (though I'm sure they were there) - I guess the things that stand out are different for everyone.

Right on the dates. But Glory just came out of drydock, I believe. I remember noticing that it was going in right after our cruise (1/10 I believe).

Archived