On Board Trivia

slotl

On the Prinsendam:

“Who are the only members of the Hall of Fame that have nothing to do with baseball?”

The supposed answer is “Bud Abbott and Lou Costello.” 

While the "who's on first" duo seems possible they were never inducted into baseball hall of fame.  A few of us new this was an old myth but CD refused to budge.

Not only does trivia need some proofreading / fact checkers even more irritating is the number of obvious mistakes in the daily newsletters or the cruise logs.  If i can see the mistakes with a brief five minute perusal surely HAL must have at least a couple of employees who can spare five minutes to double check before printing.  Sloppy.

On 6/15/2010 at 1:45 PM, Adri204 said:

As an Alaskan that would fry my butt. I know darn well Alaska is the 49th state admitted to the union. I would be very upset as an Alaskan to be told that was wrong when in fact its correct. The staff should be intellegent enough to have the right answers and not just keep old answers. That is just complete laziness especially when that is not even that hard of a fact to prove or find out.

Adri :)

Agree. And anyone who lives in Hawaii or has ever watched the TV show Hawaii 5 0 knows that 5 0 refers to the fact that Hawaii was the 50th state.

Okay, I’ll bite (on an old thread).  In December the piano player kept winning (Koningsdam).  The same piano player who was on a different ship in September (Zuiderdam).  While I think it’s great that he wants to play, I don’t think he should have been allowed to compete.

On 6/8/2010 at 10:47 PM, bob brown said:

I mentioned this observation to the 'librarians' and they like the latter as they say it encourages use of the reference materials in the library.

Librarians!

And here's another question with a wrong answer (though I do not think it was actually on a HAL ship). The question was what is the salary of NFL cheerleaders. And I rightly said there is no such thing as each team determines salary. But, I was told that since there was an answer on his sheet, it must be the right answer.

On 6/8/2010 at 1:54 AM, slotl said:

The answers are "old" and sometimes "stale". One of the questions on our last cruise was "how old is Holland America?" Answer given by cruise staff 181 years. Unfortunately, 1853 was the year it began, so even if the cruise member couldn't subtract, the answer given is "correct".

I didn't go thru the whole post , but Holland Amerika Lijn was founded in Rotterdam on april 18 1873 ( Not 1853) as Nederlandsch-Amerikaansche Stoomvaart Maatschappij ( NASM). From 1896 onwards Holland Amerika Lijn was added to the name because non-Dutch speakers had a hard time pronouncing the original name. The original colors were green-white-green( being the colors of Rotterdam) in horizontal bands with the name NASM in black letters on the white.

And more on topic , we love Trivia ! On our Zaandam cruise last april the evening trivia was done by the Ass.CD who did a great job of getting questions together. He used Trivial Pursuit question sets, newspapers , encyclopedias etc. to get his 15 questions. 

Others use the " Seattle" set , with some wrong answers in it, but i found most are willing to listen to arguments if something is really wrong. But after all, it's just a game !!

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Okay, I’ll bite (on an old thread).  In December the piano player kept winning (Koningsdam).  The same piano player who was on a different ship in September (Zuiderdam).  While I think it’s great that he wants to play, I don’t think he should have been allowed to compete.

On ms Amsterdam from 10 - 17 June, three of the entertainers were around for trivia. The assistant cruise director made a point of letting everyone know that their score didn't count when the top score was announced.

24 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

Others use the " Seattle" set , with some wrong answers in it, but i found most are willing to listen to arguments if something is really wrong. But after all, it's just a game !!

The problem with the "wrong" answers is that people who hear the answer will assume it is true. For example, if the question was "what was the name of the country that has the largest population?" And the Seattle set had "Russia" as the correct answer. There may be people that will assume it to be true.

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

We were on the same Koningsdam cruise with you. Did you notice one of the piano player's team mates was a Jeopardy champion?

We have had a few CD's who wrote their own questions and tailored them to the ports and cruise. Ben was wonderful on the Noordam last year  on our AU/NZ cruise. There were some very competitive teams!!! This is not an understatement. Ben would hand out pins to anyone who wanted one and kept the competition fun. Trivia was very well attended.

14 minutes ago, Lcubed said:

We were on the same Koningsdam cruise with you. Did you notice one of the piano player's team mates was a Jeopardy champion?

:classic_ohmy:  I did not!  (We never sat on that side of the Crows Nest.) If you tell me it was James Holzhauer I will kill myself.

7 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

:classic_ohmy:  I did not!  (We never sat on that side of the Crows Nest.) If you tell me it was James Holzhauer I will kill myself.

No. It was Alex Jacob and the piano player was Hyperion Knight.

1 minute ago, Lcubed said:

No. It was Alex Jacob and the piano player was Hyperion Knight.

Hyperion Knight!  Thank you.  I couldn’t remember his name for the life of me.  Thank goodness it wasn’t James Holzhauer.  I didn’t really want to die.  😜

1 hour ago, ToBe said:

We have had a few CD's who wrote their own questions and tailored them to the ports and cruise. Ben was wonderful on the Noordam last year  on our AU/NZ cruise. There were some very competitive teams!!! This is not an understatement. Ben would hand out pins to anyone who wanted one and kept the competition fun. Trivia was very well attended.

Speaking of writing your own question, I once had a question asked (not actually on HAL, but another line) by the assistant cruise director of how old am I? (No one got it right, but one other person and I were only 1 year off.) Later I told another assistant cruise director who was doing trivia and was on his first cruise, and he said "That's not in the book." 

We were on a cruise that had stops in Hawaii and had Hawaiian ambassadors aboard, one trivia question from the cruise director was how many letters are there in the Hawaiian alphabet, (the correct answer is 12, which one of our teammates knew).   Anyhow HAL’s answer is 13.  Well each day the Hawaiian ambassadors would ask various questions about Hawaii to win prizes.  One evening he asked the question about how many letters are in the Hawaiian alphabet, I didn’t want to shout out, and of course the first two people said 13, and he said no, so I finally did shout out 12, and won the prize.

4 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

We were on a cruise that had stops in Hawaii and had Hawaiian ambassadors aboard, one trivia question from the cruise director was how many letters are there in the Hawaiian alphabet, (the correct answer is 12, which one of our teammates knew).   Anyhow HAL’s answer is 13.  Well each day the Hawaiian ambassadors would ask various questions about Hawaii to win prizes.  One evening he asked the question about how many letters are in the Hawaiian alphabet, I didn’t want to shout out, and of course the first two people said 13, and he said no, so I finally did shout out 12, and won the prize.

But the answer in the book is 12, so it must be right. LOL

We were on the Eurodam to French Polynesia in March with a new CD, Christine who did NOT take criticism well during her trivia events.  She went around telling anyone who would listen "Well, the CAPTAIN thinks I'm doing a great job".  Okay, whatever.

If you are the kind of person who will dwell on what you perceive to be an incorrect trivia answer for the duration of your cruise you should not be participating in trivia. Seems you've forgotten how to have fun and insisted instead on being pedantic. Let it go.

Edited by SumoCitrus

6 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

If you are the kind of person who will dwell on what you perceive to be an incorrect trivia answer for the duration of your cruise you should not be participating in trivia. Seems you've forgotten how to have fun and insisted instead on being pedantic. Let it go.

I once had the assistant cruise director running the game "cheat" at trivia. It was a 4 day men versus women team trivia (on Carnival). And the men had won the first two, so he wanted the women to win the 3rd, so the last one would be meaningful. The question was what NFL team had a "horsey" name. I forgot whether we (the men) gave the Colts or Broncos as an answer, but he said it was wrong. Whichever one we said, the women said the other, and got the points for their answer.

But we got the last laugh, because not only did we win that contest, but also the 4th one to sweep the contest, something the person running it said had never happened before.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:15 PM, Lcubed said:

Was the plane player by any chance, Hyperion Knight ? He was on our team on a Norway cruise in 2016. Especially having him on the team with Music Trivia was not exactly fair to the other teams 😉

22 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Regarding some of the recent posts, I will not reply directly, but there is nothing wrong with expecting the ship's activities to be conducted in a first-class manner.

Yep.  That's what we thought too.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2019 at 9:16 AM, swin26 said:

In addition to trivia, I hope they also play  Scattergories on my next cruise.  We played on a few HAL cruises and had a lot of fun!!  

Our HAL Alaskan cruise had Scattergories, Pictionary, Who Am I?, and other team games in the Oceans Bar at eight every night.  And the cruise director staff gave out pins to the winning teams.