I am less than pleased with Royal Caribbean customer service

This is a tough one cause the OP can't prove residency. Worse is the state of CA in the big modern world of computers can't spit out a duplicate card while the customer waits! :eek:

I don't think the CS was bad, they were just informing you of what will happen if you can't prove residnecy.....if they didn't tell you and you showed up at the pier and confronted with needing to pay the additional cost ...then I would say that was bad CS.

Hope it all works out for ya. ;)

It's quite possible you will receive the ID card from DMV before you leave. I live in CA and I changed my name with DMV at the end of May and had the new card in the mail within a week (went in on a Tuesday, got it in the mail the following Tuesday). They do say up to 60 days, but I've never had it take that long.

When did you go to DMV?

-Jen

I just got a big price drop on a residency rate and the rep on the phone was VERY adamant about requiring photo-id proof of residency in the form of state issued ID with a photo. I didn't realize that my passport does not list my address, and asked if I could just use my passport and she explained why not.

I feel bad for OP, and I am certainly not a cheerleader, but I don't see this as poor customer service.

I also should note that I keep copies of my photo ID, plus my carry-permit. Both are valid state ID's with photos.

You did prove it...when you presented your passport at check in. So the check in agent didn't have to ask for proof of residency as she saw your address.

Passports do not show address, so i did not prove my state of residency with my passport

Interesting point wolf. If this person has sailed before with RCCL, and has joined the C&A Club, RCCL would have on file the residents address, which should be enough proof. We always present only our passports, and have never been asked at the pier to see any residency ID.

So, something is strange here. To the OP.......have you cruised with RCCL before??

Rick

You have a picture ID then, ...Im guessing the OP doesnt. The replacement is just a paper, doesnt have a picture ID on it.

Worse is the state of CA in the big modern world of computers can't spit out a duplicate card while the customer waits! :eek:

Before long, I think those days are going to be gone. It was new to me and Ga just started the mail out thing too but the lady at the DMV said a lot of states are getting away from printing them on the spot.

Luckily our "copy" is a exact copy of our license but is just on paper until the original is mailed.

I am not trying to circumvent the system. I am aware a picture ID is required. But, if you lose your ID, what can you do?? I did go to DMV. This is the second time requesting the same ID card. I know that they require proof, which is why I called to see what could be done. According to the post office, they would accept my DMV printout plus another form of id as proof to request a passport. Weird. Their customer service was terrible because there has to be other measures for situations such as these. If you have a printout from DMV + a lease/mortgage + insurance card that should be justification enough. Oh well, I was just curious what others thought. Once again, I am not trying to get one over. I just feel they need to consider each situation and not follow a policy blindly.

I am not trying to circumvent the system. I am aware a picture ID is required. But, if you lose your ID, what can you do?? I did go to DMV. This is the second time requesting the same ID card. I know that they require proof, which is why I called to see what could be done. According to the post office, they would accept my DMV printout plus another form of id as proof to request a passport. Weird. Their customer service was terrible because there has to be other measures for situations such as these. If you have a printout from DMV + a lease/mortgage + insurance card that should be justification enough. Oh well, I was just curious what others thought. Once again, I am not trying to get one over. I just feel they need to consider each situation and not follow a policy blindly.

So from this post, do I take it you don't have a passport?

What about the other person in your cabin? Do they have a CA ID? I agree with a PP that this should not be considered poor customer service but quite the opposite, they could have told you it was fine and hit you with last minute fees or kept you from taking your trip. Bring the documents that you have that prove residency if you don't get your ID in time and hope that works if the other person in your cabin doesn't have a CA id either.

I am not trying to circumvent the system. I am aware a picture ID is required.
Are you sailing alone? is your cabinmate a CA resident? You only need one party per cabin to qualify for the discount. My last cruise had a MD discount and my WV brother piggybacked on me to get the discount.

You did prove it...when you presented your passport at check in. So the check in agent didn't have to ask for proof of residency as she saw your address.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that I don't think passports have your address on them. Perhaps someone else will chime in, and confirm this?

I just feel they need to consider each situation and not follow a policy blindly.

I have to disagree with you on this one. When you are paying less than everyone else because of a special discount, they need to confirm your claim.

It's been asked a few times now. Does your roommate have a CA ID?

Up to 60 days according to CA DMV site

Oh yeah..CA DMV is having major issues now. They are on furlough Fridays, so they are closed 3 Fridays a month. I don't know when the OP applied for a replacement, but there are delays. My question would be...why don"t you have a driver's license? :) If not, bring a school photo ID, or Costco card and a couple of photocopies of household bills with your addres. You'll be fine. You can prove you're a resident.

My statemate is my 13 y/o son. He does not have an id. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed. I do have a passport, but passports do not prove state of residence, they prove country of residence.

Thanks for the replies!!!

My statemate is my 13 y/o son. He does not have an id. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed. I do have a passport, but passports do not prove state of residence, they prove country of residence.

Maybe you should bring his last report card for good measure. A school report card could prove you live in the state of CA. Bring all the ammo you've got!!! ;)

Oh...okay. That explains the avatar photo. 13 year olds only need birth certificates (I think + letter from other parent, I'm not a parent) . So...you're the grownup. Pesumably you have something else with your photo on it, that will allow you to board the ship. It's not so much about the "residency rate" anymore...how are you going to get onboard unless you have an "official" photo ID, plus a birth certifiicate?

I can't answer that one, unless CA DMV comes through for you sorry.

Call customer service again. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain this situation to them (including the problems with CADMV!) and ask what you need to do to prove you are a resident of the state. And if they do, have them put that in writing, bring that with you.

If they don't waver from "you need a photo id", I'd just bring something like a utility bill and some other good photo ID.

I imagine the person checking you in at Fort Lauderdale isn't going to really care whatsoever, to tell the truth. Show them something they can believe and they will take it. I really hope it works out for you!

I'm confused....the son doesn't have the photo ID?

Parent has a passport.

Son needs certified/official birth certificate, for most cruises. (school photo ID would prove residency, or anything else)

Parent needs notarized letter from other parent or some sort of documentation . (from what I have read on here)

What am I missing? And what is the actual issue of not having ID?

Oh...okay. That explains the avatar photo. 13 year olds only need birth certificates (I think + letter from other parent, I'm not a parent) . So...you're the grownup. Pesumably you have something else with your photo on it, that will allow you to board the ship. It's not so much about the "residency rate" anymore...how are you going to get onboard unless you have an "official" photo ID, plus a birth certifiicate?

I can't answer that one, unless CA DMV comes through for you sorry.

He already said he has a passport which will get him on the ship, just not prove residency.

Just to re-confirm a passport does not prove residency . . .

our friends received a Residents Discount (Ontario, Canada) but they travel with a British passport. They were asked to pay up the difference as they didn't have anything that proved their residence was in Ontario.

We always bring our DL's as well as our passports - these days more ports require picture ID to re-board and we don't like carrying the passports ashore.

If you are actually a resident....there are a ton of things that will prove residency. I don't quite understand the issue. Just bring a bunch of photocopies of things that prove you live here. There are certainly enough things that come in the mail. Bring the back page of your sample ballot. (No...we don't have voter registration cards in CA) :)

If you are actually a resident....there are a ton of things that will prove residency. I don't quite understand the issue. Just bring a bunch of photocopies of things that prove you live here. There are certainly enough things that come in the mail. Bring the back page of your sample ballot. (No...we don't have voter registration cards in CA) :)

Everyone on this thread is either repeating the same things or not reading the same things.

Summary:

Jobrad booking under a California resident discount.

Royal Caribbean wants him to prove that he is entitled to that discount by proving that he lives in California WITH A PHOTO I.D.

The usual way of proving this is a California photo driver's license or California-issued photo I.D. card that substitutes for a driver's license for non-drivers.

Jobrad doesn't have this card because he lost his and the replacement may or may not arrive before his June 20 sail date.

Passport will not prove where he lives.

Cabinmate is a 13 year old who does not qualify for a California driver's license or a California photo I.D. card.

All that Jobrad can do is take ONE photo I.D., e.g., his U.S.Passport AND something non-photo that definitively proves that he lives in California, and HOPE that his check-in agent in San Pedro accepts two things that in COMBINATION seem to prove two things: He is who he says he is, and that that person lives in California.

He no longer has ONE piece of proof that does this. Jobrad is going to have to pray that he gets one of the 98% of agents who never checks or is willing to understand that TWO pieces of I.D. together equal one California photo I.D.

Capisce?

:)

Archived