I am less than pleased with Royal Caribbean customer service

Interesting point wolf. If this person has sailed before with RCCL, and has joined the C&A Club, RCCL would have on file the residents address, which should be enough proof. We always present only our passports, and have never been asked at the pier to see any residency ID.

So, something is strange here. To the OP.......have you cruised with RCCL before??

Rick

I've never been asked to prove that I qualify for a special rate, whether residency, senior (which my passport would prove) or military, either.

Rick when I got cruise docs from my TA, there has been a big red sticker saying I got a restricted fare (residency) and that I'd have to provide proof of residency upon arriving at the port. I will try and scan it and post it here.

Yes, I've gotten those, too (although the sticker was orange;)), but haven't ever had to prove that I was eligible for the rate.

OP, bring a utility bill or three, plus a printout from the DMV. The odds are excellent that you won't need to produce any of them. And at least you're sailing from LA, so the check-in agent is likely to have lots of sympathy for your plight.:)

Everyone on this thread is either repeating the same things or not reading the same things.

Summary:

He no longer has ONE piece of proof that does this. Jobrad is going to have to pray that he gets one of the 98% of agents who never checks or is willing to understand that TWO pieces of I.D. together equal one California photo I.D.

Capisce?

:)

John Henry on CC........when was the last time that you were asked for ID for the state that you live in???

We have NEVER been asked at the port for anything other than our Passports!

Has RCCL changed their pier policies.........since we last cruised, less than a month ago, out of San Diego??

It's apparent that the OP is new to RCCL, since he/she has not answered my question directly, that being, "have you ever sailed with Royal Caribbean before?"

No answer to this......and I think that I'm going for popcorn.:D

Rick

Perhaps I'm sheltered in my little island bubble down here, but how the heck long does it take to get a replacement ID in CA? Here, it only depends on how long the line is at the DMV. :confused:

My Dad got a CA ID card last year when I moved him here. It took about 2 - 3 weeks to get the card.

I agree anything that shows your current address, plus a passport with your picture and name, should do the trick. The bill or documentation with current address should be dated as close to the cruise as possible: don't show up with a year old utility bill.

I've never been asked to prove that I qualify for a special rate, whether residency, senior (which my passport would prove) or military, either.

Yes, I've gotten those, too (although the sticker was orange;)), but haven't ever had to prove that I was eligible for the rate.

I'm with Jean on this one. We've had some pretty sizable price reductions (resulting in OBC) on our last several cruises due to various rate reductions and we have never been asked to show proof of anything.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. I never thought there would be so many. To answer the one lingering question, no I have not sailed with Royal before. My concern is the requirement to show CA residency. Based on everyone's replies I should be just fine with my lease, taxes, phone bill, etc... I do not have a utility bill as my landlord pays all utilities.

I was worried because I have been asked to show my ID on Carnival Cruises when I have received a discounted rate. If the ID does not arrive by next week, I feel confident I will be fine.

I still think Royal customer service reps should be a little more understanding to each individual situation. Life is never black and white. Who would want to live in a world like that, anyway. :rolleyes: Happy sailing to everyone!!!

So, I am booked for a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas on the 20th of June and have the California resident rate. In the meantime, I have lost my ID card and ordered a new one from DMV. When I called customer service to let them know I may not have the replacement ID card by the cruise time, they told me I was no longer eligible for the resident rate and would have to pay an additional $600 on embarkation day. WHAT???!?!!?!? I have the receipt from DMV saying I ordered a new ID card. I just cannot believe this!! This is terrible customer service.

Show your passport. I would have one with your state of residence. I don't know about California but I have gotten one in a little as a couple of hours.

You did prove it...when you presented your passport at check in. So the check in agent didn't have to ask for proof of residency as she saw your address.

I did not realize mypassport shows my address. Now I have to check when I get home. If it does not show an address, the I guess one would have to show a drivers license for proof of state residency.

Annieeee

So, I am booked for a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas on the 20th of June and have the California resident rate. In the meantime, I have lost my ID card and ordered a new one from DMV. When I called customer service to let them know I may not have the replacement ID card by the cruise time, they told me I was no longer eligible for the resident rate and would have to pay an additional $600 on embarkation day. WHAT???!?!!?!? I have the receipt from DMV saying I ordered a new ID card. I just cannot believe this!! This is terrible customer service.

Wouldn't you rather know this ahead of time isntead of being surprised once you get to the port? You should thank the person you spoke with for giving you a heads up on what to expect.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. I never thought there would be so many. To answer the one lingering question, no I have not sailed with Royal before. My concern is the requirement to show CA residency. Based on everyone's replies I should be just fine with my lease, taxes, phone bill, etc... I do not have a utility bill as my landlord pays all utilities.

I was worried because I have been asked to show my ID on Carnival Cruises when I have received a discounted rate. If the ID does not arrive by next week, I feel confident I will be fine.

I still think Royal customer service reps should be a little more understanding to each individual situation. Life is never black and white. Who would want to live in a world like that, anyway. :rolleyes: Happy sailing to everyone!!!

Well the CSR's do not have the authority to say to anyone, well it is ok, we will let you slip by this time. It simply is not their call. They like so many others, just go to work and do their job by following company policy and procedure. Not really their fault. So now you are prepared to either pay more or get the papers you need to show you are indeed a resident of your state. What if you just showed up and they asked for $600 more and you were not prepared? At least now you know, pay more or show them the proof of residency. I would not like it either, but that is just how things are.

Annieeee

Since you can only find out so much information before actually arriving to the pier, bring everything you have, including the extra cash, and hope for the best.

Remain calm, and polite while you explain the situation. you never know what can be accomplished or not accomplished at the terminal.

in the end you may have to pay the going rate, which is not bad customer service, just the rules of the sale. they are what they are, and they are clearly stated. it is unfortunate that you lost your state issued photo ID, but it is not the cruise lines fault.

just be ready to hand over the amount in the event that the worst case scenario happens, but try to politely negotiate a solution (other documentation), before you just pay.

I have seen all kinds of issues handled in various ways at the terminal. In the end it is up to the ship what they decide to do.

Don't take the word of anyone you speak to on the phone! be prepared to deal with either scenario, and have a great cruise.:)

Sounds like good customer service to me. :D They need to make sure you are from where you say you are. Any other paper besides your ID card can be falsified, so good for RCI. Too bad for you though. :( BTW: Instead of ordering it, why didnt you just go to the DMV and get it done the same day?

Archived