Need Help!

apk1389

Hi all, leaving for my Brilliance of the Seas Cruise in just under a short month, and after visiting the orthapedic was told I need to get knee surgery as soon as possible. There is a distinct possibility I will get getting the surgery next week have 2.5 weeks recovery and be off to Barcelona for my cruise. With still not the doctor not even wanting me on crutches till week 4 or 5 post surgery.. looking for suggestions. What is best for getting around both on cruise ship and ports? Im really not sure what specifics to ask all of you on CC complete lost to have never expierenced this. All advice is greatly appreciated

Hi all, leaving for my Brilliance of the Seas Cruise in just under a short month, and after visiting the orthapedic was told I need to get knee surgery as soon as possible. There is a distinct possibility I will get getting the surgery next week have 2.5 weeks recovery and be off to Barcelona for my cruise. With still not the doctor not even wanting me on crutches till week 4 or 5 post surgery.. looking for suggestions. What is best for getting around both on cruise ship and ports? Im really not sure what specifics to ask all of you on CC complete lost to have never expierenced this. All advice is greatly appreciated

So, are you suggesting that you'll be in a wheelchair? If so, and you are absolutely determined that you will go on your cruise even after just coming out of knee surgery!, you need to call your cruise line right now, and see if by chance there is a handicap accessible cabin available!

None of the mobility equipment -- a manual wheelchair, power wheelchair or scooter --will fit into a normal cabin (doorways are much too narrow, to start with; then once inside, no room to maneuver), and you're not allowed to leave it in the corridor, so it's either in the room, or you don't go!

Then you need to find out whether you'll be renting a wheelchair for home use -- at which time you can take that with you, or if not, then which company your cruise line uses, and arrange a rental through them. Excpet to pay upwards of $200 for this..sometimes a lot more.

Personally, I'd be cancelling the cruise (you DO have trip insurance??) and re-scheduling it for another time. The folks I know who have had this surgery haven't really been "up" for a cruise so soon after surgery.

My BIL had knee replacement surgery last summer. He was in excellent physical shape before the surgery which helped his recovery. Pt Rehab took about 3 weeks but full recovery took several months. There was no way he could have gone on vacation a few weeks after surgery. My neighbor also recently had the same surgery and ran into complications with the incision not healing correctly which slowed down her recovery significantly. She's now into her seconf month of rehab and still is not up to par. Thing don't always go as expected.

Obviously you're very determined to go on this cruise. But realistically you need to listen to your doctor. You're propbably going to be in too much discomfort to even enjoy the cruise. Hope you took out trip insurance that covers you for all pre-existing conditions.

With that said , if you plan to disregard your doctor's advice, you need to make certain you have the following :

• Handicap Cabin, If you can't switch to a HC cabin than you need to request a shower chair for your cabin.
  • You need to think about bringing a 4 wheel rollator with a seat and or a colapsable wheel chair for using on the ship as well as shore excursions. The wheelchair should be a standard one not a travel chair as standard chairs are sturdier and easy to push.
  • You might consider renting an electric scooter but note that the tour buses will not have lifts . Also if you have a standard cabin , the scooter may not fit through the doorway depending on the size needed. If you're able to rent something the size of a Pride Go Go it should fit through most cabin doors particularly if the arms are removed. A collapsable wheelchair or walker with a seat is much better for shore excursions.

I have (unfortunately) had three knee replacements. At the time you will be cruising you will still be in significant pain. You will still need strong pain relievers which will tend to make you sleepy. If I was in your situation I would either cancel the cruise or delay the surgery. I have found it takes three months to get back to square one and six months to feel really well. It is wonderful to be able to sleep pain free but that doesn't happen until you are about 3 to 4 months post-op. I had to have one of the replacements removed due to infection and I am not talking about that recovery as it was long and complicated.

Something else that no one has mentioned is the step up into the bathroom, this would be impossible if you cannot even use crutches. An accessible cabin is the only way you can go and they are often booked months if not a year in advance by people that need them. The european ports are not ADA compliant so getting around even in a wheelchair is not easy, and almost impossible with an electric scooter.

Like other people have said...see if you can cancel/re-schedule this cruise...its a lot of money spent not to have a good time, but most important being safe.

Flying would present another problem...sitting on a plane for long periods would increase the pain and swelling after the surgery. Not a good idea.

Please re-think your plans...

thank you all for the comments.. I just got off the phone with the orthapedic. Based on my college school schedule vacation I will be getting the surgery in a week. My parents did not have trip insurance but we are still planning to go on the vacation.. The orthapedic things I will be fine to travel in a a scooter

Don't forget your knee will be very swollen and if you're flying in economy you may have issues with legroom especially being able to move your leg. If it were me I'd call the airline to see if you can get a seat with more legroom if they offer it (like the first row etc). As a side note: I flew 7 weeks after ankle reconstruction and it was brutal as far as pain and swelling (and only a 3hr flight to Florida) but at least I was able to stand and walk with a cane. Wish you the best of luck.

You still have to have an accessible cabin. You cannot leave your scooter in the hallway. Will you rent or bring one with you? How will you get into the bathroom? Shower? You cannot do this in a scooter in regular cabin, and you cannot get the scooter into the room at all. Don't just show up thinking you will get an accessible cabin. At this late date it is EXTREMELY unlikely there are any available.

I would also have very SERIOUS concerns about you flying this soon after anesthesia, and it significantly increasing your risks for airplane associated DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

Too bad your family did not get trip insurance. This is what is is for. You would be much better to go back to work/school at home in a scooter than the risk traveling in that condition.

I would not even consider going ashore in a scooter. The ports are not very power-mobility friendly. If you do go, stay on the ship in port. There are still things to do. If you take a manual wheelchair and there is someone who is willing to push you, you could go ashore, but getting into cabs will be difficult, and you won't be able to get into buses or vans.

I am a nurse (rehab and orthopedics), and puzzled about why your physician feels it is safe to travel, but not to fully weight bear on your unimpaired leg and use a walker (hopping) or crutches (non-weight bearing on your involved side). I did this myself for 8 weeks after ACL surgery, and was up on crutches the same day as I had the surgery.

It's obvious that the OP is going on the trip regardless of the circumstances.Though the OP originally sought out help in actually she really didn't want it. So all anyone can do at this point is wish her well. She and her faimily will learn the hard way that this probably won't end up having been the right decision. But it's not our decision in the end.

thank you all for the comments.. I just got off the phone with the orthapedic. Based on my college school schedule vacation I will be getting the surgery in a week. My parents did not have trip insurance but we are still planning to go on the vacation.. The orthapedic things I will be fine to travel in a a scooter

What will you do in the bathroom? The showers are very small, and not good for someone who might not be able to stand.

Are you sharing the cabin with your parents? If so, where will you sleep? Those fold out couches are not comfortable for someone just out of surgery.

Are you flying to Barcelona in First Class? If not, you're going to have a major problem flying for so many hours without being able to get your leg straight. Will you still be in a leg brace? If so, how will you sit in those tiny plane seats with no legroom? Also, do you realize that the chances of DVT are much higher for someone who's recently had major surgery? How do you plan on getting comfortable on what could be a nine hour or longer flight?

Also, depending on what cabin category you'll have, what will you do with the scooter? Most will not fit through the cabin doors, and unless you have a suite, where will you store it overnight? You cannot keep the scooter in the hallway, and there will be no place to charge the scooter outside your cabin. Even IF you could get the scooter through the cabin door, where will you store it if sharing the cabin with your parents? Those scooters take up a lot of space and ship cabins are tiny unless you're in a big suite.

Did you discuss all this with your orthopedic surgeon, including flight issues? I would surmise that since you've never been disabled, even for a short time, you have absolutely no idea what goes into traveling as a person with a mobility problem. Another thing to consider is, unlike living in the USA or Canada, European cities are NOT disabled traveler friendly. How will you handle touring? You will have to pre-arrange private tours as no tour buses in Europe handle scooters. And, finding private vehicles (and they are very expensive) that can handle your scooter are few and far between. Add to that the fact that the cities themselves are not very scooter friendly, with big curbs and few curb cut outs, very rough terrain that most rental scooters cannot handle, and few, if any, ramps to get your scooter into the major tourist sites.

I wish you good luck, and implore you to really think hard about this trip. Believe those of us who've been disabled a long time, and know the ins and outs of traveling with mobility devices. It's not as easy as you are thinking it is. It's not just a matter of renting a scooter, hopping on, and everything is aces. It's difficult and requires a lot of compromise and a LOT of planning before you leave.

thanks all again.. for the moment if we plan to still go... i have a wheel chair to get from home airplane to the ship.. a scooter delivered to the ship.. Fortunetly I am in a large suite for the cruise so room will be amble enough for the scooter... my question is what is most easiest transportation method(wheelchair.. scooter) to get around on the boat.... and in port..

On the ship, a scooter is the best. For the ports, a lightweight, collapsible wheelchair is what you'd need, plus a very strong person to do the pushing. But, you still have to manage those infernal steps into the tour buses, and those are killers. You're lucky to have a suite, and yes, that will be ample to keep your scooter in without any problems.

If you haven't already done so and if you are eligible I would absolutely buy medical insurance in the event something happens to you and you need medical care. I don't know if you can purchase it this close to sailing but worth a shot to look into in the event that you run into issues on the plane (DVT) or injure yourself while on the ship or while on an excursion.

On the ship, a scooter is the best. For the ports, a lightweight, collapsible wheelchair is what you'd need, plus a very strong person to do the pushing. But, you still have to manage those infernal steps into the tour buses, and those are killers. You're lucky to have a suite, and yes, that will be ample to keep your scooter in without any problems.

thank you very much.. and thank you everyone I am trying to get as much information to make the best informed decision.. less of it was opinion about whether I should go or not go.. more on information to all (a heavily expierenced novice) the best possible shot

If you haven't already done so and if you are eligible I would absolutely buy medical insurance in the event something happens to you and you need medical care. I don't know if you can purchase it this close to sailing but worth a shot to look into in the event that you run into issues on the plane (DVT) or injure yourself while on the ship or while on an excursion.

will look into that as a option.. and have also in process of contacting airline for either bulkhead seating or first class.. my parents are very willinglying to help.. I really do appreciate everycomment from all of you on CC.. We have also contacted RCCL and they verified the dimension of the scooter I will rent( which will be delivered to my state room) will fit within door way.. we are dealing with shower and other possible options.. knowning full well I will need to crutch at times..Luckily I have enough strength being active with college sports.. result of the injury from over use

Have you considered asking your doctor for a physical therapy referral before your surgery. They can teach how to safely crutch walk (assuming you have not had an injury where you learned this before) before you are dealing with the pain of the OR. At least for me I learn better when I am neither in pain nor taking pain medicine. Good luck with both your surgery and your travel.

Please, please be very aware of the dangers of DVTs if you're going. I had it in January (non travel-related) and almost died from a pulmonary embolism. You'll be post-surgery, in a very cramped place on the plane, and without much opportunity to keep your legs moving.

Have you considered asking your doctor for a physical therapy referral before your surgery. They can teach how to safely crutch walk (assuming you have not had an injury where you learned this before) before you are dealing with the pain of the OR. At least for me I learn better when I am neither in pain nor taking pain medicine. Good luck with both your surgery and your travel.

i have had other sports related injuries. so crutching around is not a issue. Honestly you have been truly helpful very knowledgable any advice from now to travels is great

Please, please be very aware of the dangers of DVTs if you're going. I had it in January (non travel-related) and almost died from a pulmonary embolism. You'll be post-surgery, in a very cramped place on the plane, and without much opportunity to keep your legs moving.

Had a long talk with the doctor today. He said he is only worried about me and DVT about a week to a week and a half outside surgery.. His major concern with me traveling is infection. My parents prefer I get the surgery now so they can help monitor the cleaniness instead of me being up at school dealing with it

reading through these boards I seem to luck out having a cabin right next to a elevator as well.. I know all have said wheel chair in ports.. is this true for all the ports of my cruise... canne, florence, chitavachia, venice, corfu, drubonik, naples.. Wilingly to bring Wheel chair to every port, but I was seeing if anyone has first hand expierence with these ports where a scooter was possible. I am not going to rome this time around of the cruise so that scratches that port sortave. Feeling like every bit of knowledge I can get can only help me

I would not recommend a scooter for in port use. Europe is old therefore there are few if any curb cut outs or ramps for a scooter. Europe has lots of stairs and steps. The USA has a law called the ADA which is to make things accessible for those of us in wheelchairs. Europe has no such law.

Also if you are going to do any touring. A wheelchair is pretty easy to put in the truck of a taxi, no so for a scooter. Also, I am pretty sure no buses in Europe are going to have lifts.

Your parents are going to have a hard enough time pushing and trying to get your wheelchair over curbs in port. It is very difficult to lift a scooter over a curb. They are far too heavy. If any of your ports involve a tender there is a possibility that the ship will not transport a scooter.

Good luck on your cruise. You sure are going to get an eye opener on how things are for people who are permanently disabled.

I would not recommend a scooter for in port use. Europe is old therefore there are few if any curb cut outs or ramps for a scooter. Europe has lots of stairs and steps. The USA has a law called the ADA which is to make things accessible for those of us in wheelchairs. Europe has no such law.

Also if you are going to do any touring. A wheelchair is pretty easy to put in the truck of a taxi, no so for a scooter. Also, I am pretty sure no buses in Europe are going to have lifts.

Your parents are going to have a hard enough time pushing and trying to get your wheelchair over curbs in port. It is very difficult to lift a scooter over a curb. They are far too heavy. If any of your ports involve a tender there is a possibility that the ship will not transport a scooter.

Good luck on your cruise. You sure are going to get an eye opener on how things are for people who are permanently disabled.

thanks I had no clue about the tendering and scooter. It really will be a insight to a see the world in anothers persons eyes. I am upset that I have to change almost every excursion, I think all but two involved hiking, biking or anything with extreme activity. So I will tell my brother and dad they will need to be pushing me around in port on a wheel chair where I cant wheel my self.. and surgery has been scheduled in a few days doctor felt best to do it now

Best of luck with your surgery in a few days.

A few years ago I had a *minor* surgical procedure on both of my feet under "light sedation", and the next day took a 12-hour non-stop flight. I was allowed to walk, so that wasn't an issue, but of course DVT is always a concern on long flights (even for people who are not recently post-op). My surgeon told me to wear compression stockings to lower the risk. You might want to ask your physician and/or surgeon about that. There are MANY types of compression stockings, so if they want you to wear them, you'll need them to tell you what kind and strength. Take a look at www.foryourlegs.com, they have a huge selection. (compression stockings are tight, it's easier to put them on if you wear rubber gloves - the kind used for dish-washing, not the surgical kind)

For your flight, if you cannot get the bulkhead seat, is there a possibility of purchasing 2 seats next to each other so you can put your leg up? When you talk to the airline, tell them you have a "non-bending knee".

Definitely ask your doctor if her recommends your taking asprin daily , particularly while flying. This helps to thin the blodd to prevent DVT. Please do not take without consulting your doctor as your don't want to have any interactions with other medications.

Also check with your doctor to see if compression socks would be a good idea.

Tours buses will not have a lift for the scooter So even if you're able to ride the scooter off in port it won't be able to be loaded on the bus. If the scooter was rented through CareVacations, they generally rent the Pride Go Go Elite traveler. This little scooter breaks down easily into 4 peices and it's feaseble to think that you could load it in the back of a cab . However it's not all that great on cobblestones which is something you'll run into a lot.

RE: ports of call canne, florence, chitavachia, venice, corfu, drubonik, naples.

• Canne - never been their.
  • Chetivechia : is an industrial port which the ship is docked. The actual city will be Rome which is about a 2 hour drive from the port. Many on this forum have successfully booked private accessible van tours of Rome prior to arriving in port. You might want to check into this. There's a lot to see in Rome and this just might be the leg of the trip to have a private tour booked.
  • Venice - Definitely a tendered port. Lot of little bridges and steps. This might be one of the header ports for you to navigate
  • Corfu - Never been there
  • Dubrovnik- If you have the Pride Go Go Scooter, you might try getting a private taxi at port to go into to town. The Old Fort City of Dubrovnick is really the main attraction. If you drive very slowly over the cobblestones you probably won't have a problem. You definitely will not be able to walk the top of the fort
  • Florence : Are you actually porting in Florence or does it state Livorna on your intinery ? Livorna is generally the docking port for Florence. If you arrive at this port on a Sunday, note that most everything in Florence is closed on Sundays. Would instead recommend getting off the ship early in the morning. There will be many taxies lined up at the pier and they all conduct private tours of the Tuscany Region including Pisa and other cities in that region. The benifit of using one of the taxi tours is that the car can fit through the entrance of the Old Forts that surround these little towns. The tour buses are to big and must part blocks away from the main city entrance. I did this and the car pulled me up right to the barrier in front of the leaning tower of Piza. Having MS this was delightful way to travel.
  • Barcelona - This is a the most accessible city of the cruise due to the fact that Barcelona hosted the Para Olympics Games back in 1992. Even with that said not all places are HC accessible.
  • Naples - Been years since I was there. At that time the ship docked right in town. Though you may be able to ride the scooter off, I'd carefully check things out before going about on your own in the scooter. Naples is nortorious for the drivers not stopping. It's very difficult for even an able body person to cross the street. You have to work youself into the center of a pack of locals and move fast . One nice thing to do in Naples is take a boat trip over to the Island of Capri. The dock for Capri is located on the same side of as where the Cruise Ship will dock. So it's may be very possible to ride the scooter onto the ferry that goes to Capri. There's lovely little outside cafes and shops. It really a nice place to spend an afternoon.

Archived