Need Help!

apk1389

Definitely ask your doctor if her recommends your taking asprin daily , particularly while flying. This helps to thin the blodd to prevent DVT. Please do not take without consulting your doctor as your don't want to have any interactions with other medications.

Also check with your doctor to see if compression socks would be a good idea.

Tours buses will not have a lift for the scooter So even if you're able to ride the scooter off in port it won't be able to be loaded on the bus. If the scooter was rented through CareVacations, they generally rent the Pride Go Go Elite traveler. This little scooter breaks down easily into 4 peices and it's feaseble to think that you could load it in the back of a cab . However it's not all that great on cobblestones which is something you'll run into a lot.

RE: ports of call canne, florence, chitavachia, venice, corfu, drubonik, naples.

• Canne - never been their.
  • Chetivechia : is an industrial port which the ship is docked. The actual city will be Rome which is about a 2 hour drive from the port. Many on this forum have successfully booked private accessible van tours of Rome prior to arriving in port. You might want to check into this. There's a lot to see in Rome and this just might be the leg of the trip to have a private tour booked.
  • Venice - Definitely a tendered port. Lot of little bridges and steps. This might be one of the header ports for you to navigate
  • Corfu - Never been there
  • Dubrovnik- If you have the Pride Go Go Scooter, you might try getting a private taxi at port to go into to town. The Old Fort City of Dubrovnick is really the main attraction. If you drive very slowly over the cobblestones you probably won't have a problem. You definitely will not be able to walk the top of the fort
  • Florence : Are you actually porting in Florence or does it state Livorna on your intinery ? Livorna is generally the docking port for Florence. If you arrive at this port on a Sunday, note that most everything in Florence is closed on Sundays. Would instead recommend getting off the ship early in the morning. There will be many taxies lined up at the pier and they all conduct private tours of the Tuscany Region including Pisa and other cities in that region. The benifit of using one of the taxi tours is that the car can fit through the entrance of the Old Forts that surround these little towns. The tour buses are to big and must part blocks away from the main city entrance. I did this and the car pulled me up right to the barrier in front of the leaning tower of Piza. Having MS this was delightful way to travel.
  • Barcelona - This is a the most accessible city of the cruise due to the fact that Barcelona hosted the Para Olympics Games back in 1992. Even with that said not all places are HC accessible.
  • Naples - Been years since I was there. At that time the ship docked right in town. Though you may be able to ride the scooter off, I'd carefully check things out before going about on your own in the scooter. Naples is nortorious for the drivers not stopping. It's very difficult for even an able body person to cross the street. You have to work youself into the center of a pack of locals and move fast . One nice thing to do in Naples is take a boat trip over to the Island of Capri. The dock for Capri is located on the same side of as where the Cruise Ship will dock. So it's may be very possible to ride the scooter onto the ferry that goes to Capri. There's lovely little outside cafes and shops. It really a nice place to spend an afternoon.

thanks such a wealth of knowledge here its really great

As stated in my previous post, if you rented the scooter from CareVacations it most likely will be the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler. I personally own the same scooter and it's very easy to load into a trunk of a car or the back of a van/suv. Below is a link to show the type of scooter and how it breaks down into the trunk. The video is in real time to show just how easy it is to breakdown. Thought you should view it just in case you get the same type of scooter.

http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/video/gogo_Elite_disassembly.html

that looks like the same scooter my mom rented from care vacations.. that is really easy.. We are getting the scooter delivered directly to the ship.. and I will have a wheel chair and crutches for getting from home to the Brilliace

that looks like the same scooter my mom rented from care vacations.. that is really easy.. We are getting the scooter delivered directly to the ship.. and I will have a wheel chair and crutches for getting from home to the Brilliace

Also you should contact the Special Needs Dept of the cruise line and request that a shower stool be deliver to your cabin. You really should be seated when taking a shower. The cruise line does this free.

Oh I forgot something very important. My wish for you is that the surgery and rehab all goes well !

Though this cruise will not be as you originally anticipated it to be. If you just change your thinking and go with no expections. Role ( no pun intended ) with the flow. You'll still have a wonderfull trip. Take it from one who lives with a mobility impairment due to MS and travels with all the equipment that you're bringing, it's the best way to approach this cruise. Enjoy !

thanks very much, it will be very different, Im so used to playing at least 3 or so hours of basketball on deck, that is my social place, I am ready with a new positive attidude, although I am much younger than all the people in my Roll Call group I have already become close to upwards of 70 people. I understand every cruise is unique and you make the best.. and trully with help from you and everybody else on CC I think I am getting closer to being ready

With everyone else on this thread we wish you a safe and very enjoyable cruise. If possible update us on your progress and at the end of the cruise let us know how it went. Your information may help others with mobility issues in the ports you are visiting.

Also wishing you a fast recovery from your surgery with a minimum of pain.

Arlene

thanks very much, it will be very different, Im so used to playing at least 3 or so hours of basketball on deck, that is my social place, I am ready with a new positive attidude, although I am much younger than all the people in my Roll Call group I have already become close to upwards of 70 people. I understand every cruise is unique and you make the best.. and trully with help from you and everybody else on CC I think I am getting closer to being ready

The basketball court can still be a familiar place of enjoyment and socialization while on the cruise. Don't let being in a wheelchair stop you from doing some hoops or going up to the court. Yes it won't be the same but you still would be doing something that your greatly enjoy. Please think about it.

For the most part people will be more understanding than you might think and would even help you on the court. Who knows this whole experience might even point you in a direction of helping others who are permanently confined in a wheelchair to be able to experience the joy that basketball brings you.

As far a age go, just remember CC Roll Call represents only a small portion of the people that will be on the cruise. You're bound to meet others closer in age.

I've been to all the ports you mention, so maybe I can be of assistance.

Cannes: For some lines, this is a tender port and for others it's docked. I'm sorry but I can't help you with that point. But if it's tender, you will need the wheelchair. It's a pretty flat city, but lots of rough surfaces and cobblestones.

Rome: Too bad you can't go there as it's a highlight. I had a private car that took the wheelchair in the trunk and off we went. We had 12 hours in port that day, so we could see a lot. Rome is actually not bad for a person with mobility problems. It's easy to see places such as the Coliseum, St Peters and Trevi Fountain.

Florence: You're going to be docking in Livorno, which is about 90 minutes from Florence. Again, the wheelchair only for this city. If you can find transportation to Florence from the dock, they will take you to a drop off point near the Santa Croce cathedral and Duomo in the old city. It's pretty easy to get around from there to see the Ponte Vecchio, the Academia for the statue of David and if you're interested in art, it's easy walking to the Uffizi Museum. If you don't want to go into Florence, you can do a tour of the countryside, including Pisa.

Venice: This will not be easy. Now, we docked in Venice, which made it very easy with the wheelchair, but you cannot use a scooter. There are too many steps and bridges to cross. To get from the port, if you are lucky to dock, you can take a vaporetto, which is the public transportation for Venice. They are water taxis. You will not be able to use a private water taxi or gondola as they are not accessible, but if you take the vaporetto to the Piazza San Marco, you're right in the middle of everything important.

Corfu: You will have to find transportation from the port, and you can go from there. The old city is really quaint and a good place to start. Again, wheelchair only. The streets are very narrow and cobbled and many do not allow vehicular traffic.

Dubrovnik: A very lovely city and I think you might be able to scooter there. Make it to the center of town, and scooter away. There is a fort you can visit, but it's not very accessible. But the town is filled with lovely shops and cafes.

Naples: The traffic is insane there and you'll have to be careful. I would skip Naples and go to Capri or Ana Capri. I'm not sure if you can physically do this, but if you can, I recommend seeing the Blue Grotto. You'd have to climb into a small boat, but I think it's worth it. You can get the boat at the Marina Grande in Capri.

Barcelona is very accessible, but the city is very spread out, so you'll need some kind of transportation to get you from place to place. But, you can easily scooter off the ship, which docks in the city, and get to places like the Gothic Quarter. Don't miss the Sagrada Familia, Antonio Gaudi's absolutely amazing cathedral, that was started in 1882 and won't be finished until approximately 2026.

I hope everything works out for you and you have a fantastic cruise. Please, remember to come back and tell us how everything was and how you enjoyed the cruise.

confused when i get off in port. i am going to bring my wheel chair.. is it even possible to get crutches with me, idk i Want to have them if them if there is a area where i cant wheel chair

Sure you can take your crutches. Bungee cords work well; attach them to the back handles if the chair doesn't come with a crutch holder. Or balance the bottom tips on your foot rests (next to your feet), and hold them alongside you (assuming someone else is pushing you.)

Be aware that if you take any tour bus excursions, there are two very steep steps to get up into the bus and ask them to reserve you a front seat on the bus. I traveled in the Med. with a rollator with large wheels .

Best of luck with your surgery. Is it full knee replacement or arthoscopic? (However you spell it)

Hi all got surgery this morning... I did not get arthrocsopic or complete knee surgery.. They cut my knee open just below the knee cap and a good distance down the tibia. They removed portion of my patellar tendon.. removed my deep bursae, scar tissue, and some other affected tissue, then they scraped down a lot of my tibia. The doctor says it will take longer to heal because it was not athroscopic but it was a successful surgery. My leg is imbolized from my ankle to mid way up my thigh relativiley I feel ok. Keeping positive thoughts to be on the cruise is just over two weeks

Hi all got surgery this morning... I did not get arthrocsopic or complete knee surgery.. They cut my knee open just below the knee cap and a good distance down the tibia. They removed portion of my patellar tendon.. removed my deep bursae, scar tissue, and some other affected tissue, then they scraped down a lot of my tibia. The doctor says it will take longer to heal because it was not athroscopic but it was a successful surgery. My leg is imbolized from my ankle to mid way up my thigh relativiley I feel ok. Keeping positive thoughts to be on the cruise is just over two weeks

Ooo oww!! I do hope that when the anesthesia wears off you're not screaming in pain! That sounds like a very serious surgery. When you're fully awake, you and your family need to talk about this cruising thing again..... :(

Oh, WOW. I agree with Uppitycats. You really need to think about this with a clear head. I'm not sure you fully understand the problems you will encounter. Heck, I cruised 7 weeks after suffering a triple fracture of my knee, and I nearly didn't make that trip because of the injury. Good Luck

Glad to hear that things basically went Ok. Wish you well with your recovery. Unfortunately the procedure used is certainly going to take lnger than expected to heal. Hope you can make the cruise but it sounds iffy to me, but than I'm not the one that just had surgery. How long does the leg have to be immobilized? Even if you feel well enough to travel immobilization could make air travel near impossible. unless you buy out a whole of seats to rest your leg on.

By chance have your parents thrown themselves on the mercy of of the cruiseline to attempt to reschedule due to a medical emergency since they did not take out trip insurance ? It's worth a try.

Hi all I have been off and on awake all day.. only real issue today was it took extra long for the anesthia to wear off, my surgeon went and preformed another whole surgery and the patient was up and out before I woke up. Honestly in good news. I do not feel that bad. I have one of the icemachines continously circulating cold water to my knee. and on pain killers. I have only felt a burning sensation from the bone being worn away but, I have slept, or I was up in the wheel chair and was moving about the house, my mom yelled and said I need to stay put to not try to cause damage

doctor says end of next week all of my staples will be removed. I was shocked when I woke up in recovery today he said I could pressure on the knee( could not that hurt to much).. his concern was for me not to bend the knee because after detaching the tendon and splitting it. it is now attached by two "temporary"(i think they disolve) pins in two different spots. I am though pleasantly shocked how I am feeling. I really thought Id be wincing in pain, but yes I understand I have medication, but I feel ok.. doctor wants it immobilized for 2 weeks possibly a third...

did they give you a anesthesia block for your surgery? If they did, you might not feel any pain for another 24 hours. The main thing is to stay on top of the pain. In other words, take your pain meds on schedule, even if you don't feel pain, especially for the first week. I've had 12 surgeries on my legs/ankles, so I've had a little experience with this kind of pain. (still have to have both knees replaced and probably an ankle).

You've got a great attitude! That will go very far. Bring your wheelchair with you on the cruise, use early boarding at the airport and dock, and just take your time! You will do great!

no anesthia block.. my grandma is here for the entire week and i inform her every 4 hrs about my meds and she is changing my ice about every eight were doing everything possible and following all instructions

Wishing you a speedy recovery Andrew. I have always been in natural healing and know a nutritionist for over 10 years. He is amazing and brilliant. He himself has gone through many knee surgeries and I know he knows of herbs for quick healing. He treats people from all over.

If you are interested in giving him a call, email me Jibb2424@aol.com and I will give you his name and number. He can mail you out whatever he suggests you need.

He will never take you off what a doctor has put you on....he works with many doctors.

Barbara

Archived