Excursions less than $50/pp

ridonkculous

A question for all the seasoned Alaskan cruisers out there. I'm booked on HAL's Oosterdam this June. I've read about all the great excursions (e.g., helicopter rides, dog-sledding) but frankly, it's not in our budget :(. With that in mind, are there excursions less than $50/pp that you'd recommend? Our ports of call include Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. Thanks.

For Ketchikan, I'd suggest the Totem Heritage Center/Deer Park Fish Hatchery/Raptor Rehab Center. Located about 15 min walk uphill, all near each other. Last year I think the "ticket bundle" cost was $13/person.

Sitka has a hop on/hop off bus, can't remember the price.

Juneau, if the weather is good, the Mt. Roberts Tram (don't know cost) and the bus to the Mendenhall Glacier.

In Ketchikan, first stop at the tourist information building on the dock to pick up a walking map of the town and a copy of the city bus schedule. Ask them to point out where to catch the blue bus heading north.

The city bus costs $1 (50 cents for seniors). If you are lucky, you may even get a driver who provides commentary along the way, giving you essentially a guided tour.

Ride the blue bus north out to the end of the line and get off there to stroll around both Totem Bight and Potlatch Park. They are located right next to each other, with a nice store/museum between them. Free admission to both parks. Potlatch Park also has a big garage full of antique cars.

There is a wooden box near the entrance to Totem Bight where you can pick up a copy of a handout describing the totem poles that you see along the walk.

The bus makes a stop at Walmart, so if you need anything there it is handy to get off and do your shopping on the way back (to avoid needing to carry packages around with you in the parks). Ask for a bus transfer before you get off. Then when ready to leave you can either ride the Walmart shuttle back to your ship or take the next bus, whichever goes first.

For Ketchikan, I'd suggest the Totem Heritage Center/Deer Park Fish Hatchery/Raptor Rehab Center. Located about 15 min walk uphill, all near each other. Last year I think the "ticket bundle" cost was $13/person.

Where do you buy the ticket bundle?

Where do you buy the ticket bundle?

At the entrance to any of the 3 if I recall correctly -- there's a price for one entry to whichever you are at, and a price for the 3-for. There was DEFINITELY the bundle price available at the Totem Heritage Center.

At the entrance to any of the 3 if I recall correctly -- there's a price for one entry to whichever you are at, and a price for the 3-for. There was DEFINITELY the bundle price available at the Totem Heritage Center.

Thanks a bunch :D

If you google

"Totem Heritage Center Ketchikan"

"Deer Park Fish Hatchery Ketchikan"

"Raptor Rehabilitation Ketchikan"

you should be able to find hours of operation and admission costs for each, and a bit of an overview.

The visitor centre in Ketchikan offers free walking tour maps, as well. If you do a search on this forum, you can find info on the funicular (sp??) that runs in Ketchikan. You can also go to Creek Street for a walk and see the shops.

In Sitka, there is St. Michael's Cathedral, might be of interest if you are of that faith or are an architecture buff. I'm not certain if there's an entry fee or if it is by donation. Can't remember. Haven't been there in years. Maybe you can tell me when you get back!

Sitka has a hop on/hop off bus, can't remember the price.

Juneau, if the weather is good, the Mt. Roberts Tram (don't know cost) and the bus to the Mendenhall Glacier.

The Sitka hop on/hop off bus is $10. I was going to use it, but it wasn't running the day I was in Sitka. Besides its other stops, it goes out to the Nat'l Park at the end of Lincoln St and you can walk the totem trail there. You can also walk to the park without the bus if you are walkers. On the way you'll pass the Russian Bishop's house which is an interesting stop.

From the tender pier to downtown there was a free shuttle. I don't know if that depends on where the ship anchors or not. It was only a few blocks, though, so not too far to walk, at least from that tender docking. I don't know if there's another one.

I highly recommend the Mt Roberts Tram. It's $27 for an all day pass. The ride up is very scenic. The top has trails that can be hiked, has a nature center, has an eagle that cannot be returned to the wild but can be viewed by tourists. There's a small theater that shows free a history of the Klingit natives in that area. There's a gift shop that among the souvenirs also has some awesome sculpture and paintings done by natives. There's a restaurant with outdoor tables.

The MGT blue bus is $7 each way to Mendenhall Glacier and then you can spend as long or short a time as you want. You can spend time in the visitor center and/or can hike one of the trails.

We are kind of in the same situation. I wanted to do the Tracy Arm Excursion out of Juneau but DH says we are already spending enough money just on the cost of the cruise, so we are not spending much on excursions. These are what we have looked at so far along with just walking around each town.

Ketchican - The Lumberjack show about $35 ea or the Duck Ride for $38 each.

Juneau - Mount Roberts Tramway if the weather is good which is $27 each.

Skagway - We are going to do the White Pass Railway $110.00 each

These prices are by booking directly and not though the cruise line, but when I checked the cruise line prices they were just a few dollars more on each excursion.

Archived