Fianl Payment due and I dont have enough money.

Bazzgurl26

Hi All.. We booked our Alaska cruise a few months ago and paid our deposit. We took a loan out from my husbands 401k and were expecting the money early in June, Well we just got word that the money wont be here till first part of July and our final payment is due June 29th. If I dont make my payment on the due date what will happen? Will they cancel right away or give me time to pay?? When I called NCL I got some prissy girl who kept saying she didn't know. GRRRRR

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I Kinda agree with petesweet. Why are you dipping into a retirement plan, just to go on a cruise?? Gosh, what would happen if a real emergency came up.

No disrespect, but, I guess, it takes all kinds. :confused:

Cheers

Len

I don't think the OP was looking for long term financial planning and I can't believe those of you who are being so insensitive to all the possibilities of WHY someone might do this.

Did you consider the possibility this person has just received some life changing news and decided to go on a last minute dream vacation while they can?

Whatever your reason for taking the trip, to the OP, I would call customer service, explain your situation and ask for an extension. They worst they can do is say no and then you would have to deal with the consequence of that.

Good luck.

Hey all -

My husband and I booked a cruise the first of January with RCCI. We didn't realize that the cruise (March 14-20) would be close enough that 3 days later final payment was due. When we realized, we called RCCI, who refused to work with us. We cancelled while we could get our money back. Then I found a cruise on NCL, and explained the situation to them. They were totally understanding and waited 7 days (so we got a paycheck and didn't have to pull a loan or use a credit card) for our final payment. It worked really well - and NCL now has some loyal cruisers!!

If you booked directly through NCL, just be sure they have your correct phone number. Typically, you'll find that there will be a little leeway, and they will make several attempts to contact you by phone and e-mail before they take such a drastic action as canceling your vacation. Should you get a call from someone looking for payment, ask them for an extension, and as long as you can provide a reasonable guideline, I've never heard of them turning down a request for a short extension.

If you booked through a travel agent, contact them to find out what action may be appropriate.

I agree that we should be answering the OP's question, not giving value judgments. Anyway, she should of course call NCL and ask if they will give her an extension. Ask for a supervisor if the 1st person says no. If not, she gets her deposit back. She can then rebook when her money comes in---- it is most unlikely that all cabins will be gone, a number of people always seem to put down deposits and then, for one reason or another, don't come through with final payment. As a matter of fact, there are often better deals to be had when the cruise lines see how many cabins are actually sold. Worst case scenario , she can book another ship leaving for Alaska at the same time, there are plenty of them out there. Best of luck.

I Kinda agree with petesweet. Why are you dipping into a retirement plan, just to go on a cruise?? Gosh, what would happen if a real emergency came up.

No disrespect, but, I guess, it takes all kinds. :confused:

Cheers

Len

Are you debt free? Do you have a car payment or house payment?

Should people go on cruises when they owe money on their car?

I certainly won't judge the OP as my personal situation has changed so much in 18 months that I might have to sell my cute little house I thought I'd grow old in. I cry myself to sleep sometimes and I would love to escape away on a cruise if for just a few days... But i am very practical. We all cope in different ways and we do not know her circumstances.

Are you debt free? Do you have a car payment or house payment?

Should people go on cruises when they owe money on their car?

Do you want a real answer? Personal opinion, of course. We went on our first cruise when our house was totally paid for, both cars were totally paid for, the credit card balances were at zero, and we owed nothing. But we're unique.

To the original poster: NCL usually gives you a couple of days grace period. Just don't answer the phone, play a little "hard to get"..and hope your money shows up when promised!

It actually is never that bad of an idea to take out 401k loans. You at least get a guaranteed 3% return on your money. If you need to buy something, take a loan out of your 401k and do a short term payback. All you do is pay yourself 3% interest. How is that bad? You are not paying someone else interest. With the market today and crappy cd rates, 3% is good.

We took a loan from my 401k about 20 yrs ago to buy a timeshare.

One of the best things we ever did. I'm so sure we borrowed more

for the timeshare than OP took for this cruise.;)

Why not take a loan and pay yourself back?!!?:p

Good move on your part OP. Enjoy the cruise.

I agree. While withdrawing money from a 401k for a non-emergency is a bad idea, taking a 401k loan often makes more sense than taking out a bank loan or putting something on a credit card and having to make payments. I think some people are jumping to conclusions. This is really no different than someone putting it on their credit card and making payments, except they are probably saving money by doing this while not harming their 401k balance.

One of the (many) reasons borrowing from your 401 K is a bad idea: what if you lose your job? You have a very short timeframe in which to replace the money or face severe tax consequences/penalties.

Although I don't pretend to know the OP's situation, the benefit is most likely not worth the risk.

A yard sale might be a better idea.

I think Jenny has enough great advice about how to manage the impending deadline for the final payment for her cruise. Perhaps, at this point, she wishes she did not include so much personal information about how/where/when the money for her cruise is coming from :)

I think Jenny has enough great advice about how to manage the impending deadline for the final payment for her cruise. Perhaps, at this point, she wishes she did not include so much personal information about how/where/when the money for her cruise is coming from :)

No kidding. OP will probably never come back either. Wonder why some folks can't just be quiet sometimes?

Oh please, some one point out I'm adding to the noise here. How clever you would look.

I would cancel. If you are having trouble paying now, it could easily get worse. The loan may not come through. If your job goes away, you have to pay it back in short order or face severe IRS penalties, which apparently you can not afford.

Hopefully you have also figured out that you need $12 a day each for service charge. Tips for other stuff. Money for drinks and tours.

No, the OP did not ask for advice, but they are CRYING out for help.

Very, very bad decisions taking place here.

I would cancel. If you are having trouble paying now, it could easily get worse. The loan may not come through. If your job goes away, you have to pay it back in short order or face severe IRS penalties, which apparently you can not afford.

Hopefully you have also figured out that you need $12 a day each for service charge. Tips for other stuff. Money for drinks and tours.

Where is the CRYING? I think Jenny gave us a little too much information but she didn't give us a Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Her Resume to help us make judgement about how she spends her money. I assume she is an adult and can make her own decisions. She asked for help on what to do regarding her final payment and what her options are.....

Thank you Dr. Freud.

I think you should mind your own business. The nerve of some people.:rolleyes:

Archived