Ladies, what kind of purse do you use when cruising?

Guest maddycat
Oh, that is good looking! The only place I've ever seen a retail store is in Honolulu. Just as well, I suppose

7640 New! Shellie Crossbody

In my area Macy's and Lord & Taylor sells them. I bought mine at Lord & Taylor. Le Sportsac runs twice yearly sales for 25% off (May and October) and I had a 20% off Lord & Taylor coupon. Great buy. You could buy them online from either store.

Edited by maddycat

Question: Why are all you people who dont carry a purse on vacation answering this question when thats not what this person wants?

Think about it.

I hope this helps.

Brenda

The OP did not give her cruise history therefore as a possible newbie, maybe she needed the wide variety of comments that she got (in a very kind and helpful manner) to see that she may or may not have to have a purse. She did ask what purse we used onboard as well as during travel....we told her. Perhaps she was appreciative of our "no purse" approach....think about it.

Deb

I have a small bag from Eagle Creek--I'm actually on my second bag of this same style--which is small, light, easy to carry either over the shoulder or cross-body and holds the essentials in various pockets. Maybe not all that fashionable, but very practical and sturdy.

It is just large enough to hold my camera, sunglasses, a couple of tissues, money and credit cards, plus a little extra.

I use it on the ship only if I know I'll need some of the above stuff along. I sometimes also take a beach bag, if the itinerary calls for it and use it for sunbathing, beaches, water excursions, etc.

I sometimes take a formal purse, but not always.

At our Navigator Meet and Mingle RCI gave out neat little case on a string that were just big enough for a seapass card and maybe a tissue or something. It came in very handy.

I have a simple inexpensive purse that I got at Target of all places. I love it because it has a front pocket for quick stuff to get to. and inside tiny zip pocket for lipstick and meds...etc. and plenty of room. It is small and goes across my body so I can hold onto it easier and be handsfree when I need to be. I could go without a purse if I had a backpack to carry everything else in as depending on the port. I am thinking I may go without on my next one as I will cary a beach bag most days for the beach:p

I have a Roots cross over shoulder bag that I use during the day and for shore excursions. It has a lot of zippered compartments in it as well as a water bottle holder in the side. For evening, I have a very small bronze evening bag that goes with every outfit. It literally only hold a lipstick, compact mirror and my sea pass.

I have a simple inexpensive purse that I got at Target of all places. I love it because it has a front pocket for quick stuff to get to. and inside tiny zip pocket for lipstick and meds...etc. and plenty of room. It is small and goes across my body so I can hold onto it easier and be handsfree when I need to be. I could go without a purse if I had a backpack to carry everything else in as depending on the port. I am thinking I may go without on my next one as I will cary a beach bag most days for the beach:p

I used the Vera Bradley hipster on my last cruise. The pattern (forget name) went with everything. What I loved the most was the little ID pocket (with clear plastic seal) right under the flap. It was so easy to manage my sea pass and license etc. I could fit a few necessities in it as well and it was so light weight I did occasionally forget I was wearing it!

Deb' date='

I LOVE your signature! Haley looks so cute ... she was definitely "designed" well. :D[/quote']

Thanks Grouch,

Yep...our little Liberty of the Seas souvenir. She sailed with us and our son and DIL on the Oasis this past December so she has two cruises now;). Here is a picture from the Oasis cruise:

2diejhd.jpg

We had tons of fun.

Deb

Another vote for a hands free cross body pouch. I never took it around the ship or to dinner but loved it for in ports. It was just big enough for passport, lipgloss, etc. and had a small zippered pouch in front to hold sea pass card. Everyone was asked for photo ID in Key West before getting back on the ship. This was in addition to a sea pass so I am glad I was able to carry all 5 of our passports in my pouch (and still be hands free!). There was a lady trying to get through the security checkpoint behind us that did not bring a photo ID off the ship with her. She was having quite a time but I didn't hang around to see what the verdict was. I always take passport with me and feel this is a secure way to do so instead of just throwing it in a beach bag.

I agree with most of you that I never bring a purse onboard. After 65 cruises I decided to bring one at the last minute and at the end of the cruise, guess what I left in our room. You guessed it...my stinking purse. Fortunately our room attendant noticed it and got it to the purser's desk at the same time the security guard was asking about it and I got it back right away. Most of the time my camera case is a good substitute for a purse. There are a lot of really cute ones out there. (Walmart) For me a purse is just something that i take a risk of leaving lay somewhere so money and room key go in my pocket and when I leave the ship I use the beach bag I got a while back that has my name on it and pleanty of inside pockets.

We'll be on the FOS on June 20th with you. Don't forget to sign up for the Meet and Mingle. Hope to see you there. :p

Suggesting not to use a purse is assuming the person is too stupid to figure that out.

I really got a laugh.

Ha ha

I am glad that I could amuse you but bewildered at your comments???

I made no suggestion to the OP not to use a purse(please reread my post)...I simply stated what I do/did. I did not assume the poster was stupid at all. Everyone has their methods and I, for one, have learned from others on this board when they posted their experiences and ideas. Apparently you felt like the answers on this topic did not meet a certain criteria but I assure you that even if the OP couldn't use the information, someone appreciated it.

Deb

Put me in the - I don't carry a purse on vacation - group.

I have a string wallet I drop in my laptop case that has all of my id's and credit cards. It is stored in the safe while on board. Like a previous poster I use my camera case in port as a purse.

To the OP's original question, I would suggest something small and light that can fit in your other carry ons if you are flying.

Edited by temple1

Just a word of caution...a dear friend just returned froma Med cruise..she uses a small backpack while in port. Unfortunately it wasn't a Magellan or something like it.

Her backpack was slashed and she lost her camera and a small wallet she had some cash and one credit card in.:(

She swears she never felt a thing and only noticed the items were missing when she sat down and leaned back..the pack was empty expect for a water bottle that was nestled in the side and didn't come out.

I have a Coach swingpack that goes across your body. It's perfect for traveling, going out at night, and just running to the store. It fights camera, cell, money, passport, lipgloss, and you're good to go. I got mine at the outlet.

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/ProductDetailWrapperView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&partNumber=42190&langId=-1&storeId=10551&storeId=10551&catalogId=10051&cid=SFGP0180&bannerCode=SFGP0180&viewTaskName=COABannerCodeDirectorCmd

I have almost the same bag, but it is by Brighton. Love it and use it the same way.

I don't carry a purse on the ship, keep my keycard on a lanyard around my neck. I use a backpack for shore excursions. If you are dead set on a purse, try the better back bag, it's what I use on land.

Just a word of caution...a dear friend just returned froma Med cruise..she uses a small backpack while in port. Unfortunately it wasn't a Magellan or something like it.

Her backpack was slashed and she lost her camera and a small wallet she had some cash and one credit card in.:(

She swears she never felt a thing and only noticed the items were missing when she sat down and leaned back..the pack was empty expect for a water bottle that was nestled in the side and didn't come out.

I had heard about the same thing happening in the Med and bought my Pacsafe for that reason. It has metal cables built in it to help prevent someone from slashing it. The straps are made same way and this one is convertable from a backpack to an over the shoulder sling. Very comfortable.

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=107

Check out the Baggallini purses, online (zappos, ebags, etc), can also buy them at AAA stores. I just got the triple-zip small size, in olive, its awesome! Looks nice, and holds a ton of stuff and is lightweight. We are leaving on a med cruise in a week, probably won't use it in ports too much, my hubby carries a pacsafe backpack, but will use in in Rome (there for 5 days), and around the ship if needed.

I use a small Coach crossbody bag that I purchased at the outlet. I am not sure they still make it -- the ones I see are quite a bit larger than mine but I've seen it on ebay from time to time. It fits in the safe and still leaves plenty of room for other things like my camera, passport case, etc. I don't always carry the purse around the ship with me but it's the perfect size and just what I need for traveling, shopping, etc.

We noticed that the residents of Buenos Aires carry their small backpacks on the front of their bodies for this reason. It's best to carry nothing and especially to not wear jewelry.

Gina

• 1 month later...

On the ship I never carried a purse. But one our last cruise, we flew down and I opted for my small "tote" purse that has a closure on it. I also used this bag in the ports, it held everything and had a short shoulder strap making me fee comfortable. It was a cheap Target find, I carry it every summer and it's machine washable.

Happy cruising!

Edited by CollegeCruisers11

I'll echo what a few people have posted.. I carry one purse, a Vera Bradley with a shoulder strap, and I generally use this while traveling to/from the cruise (e.g. the airport), and when I'm in port. While I'm on the ship, I carry a nice little clutch in the evening and a tiny wristlet during the daytime. I don't really bring my nicer purses-- it's just one more thing to keep track of, and I don't like being weighted down by an average-sized purse during the daytime. That's just how I look at it.