Just for fun

ging466

I read this thread on the Regent board and thought it might be a bit of fun for us SS lovers.

"Just for fun and fantasy, I'd like to hear how long a cruise you would like to be on if money or work were of no matter. Would it depend on the part of the world you were in? What other reasons would generally make you want to return home? (A given is that the cruise is very enjoyable and satisfactory to you.)"

Is 7 days enough or is a world cruise too much? I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Cheers

Jennifer:)

Perfect length would be 21 to 28 days. A "World Cruise" much to long. 7 days waaay too short. Perfect destination would be the South Pacific or Australia. Husband would love to go fishing in Cairn.

One of the biggest variables that comes into play is the ship itself. We have done three World Cruises and we were never bored.

However, we would not do this on just any size ships. For us it would have to be a ship that woud provide a good deal of diversity in the programs offered given all of the days at sea.

Keith

We have done three World Cruises and we were never bored.
In your type of case, out of the Silversea ships, perhaps the Spirit may be more suitable, as it has more types of restaurants. After a few weeks, no matter how good the restaurants are, you want changes and more choices. For two to three weeks voyages, we will imagine that the Shadow/Whisper will be more comfortable (likely better designed though older).

I agree the size of the ship matters but I also think it's the individual personality. On Seabourn Odyssey there are four restaurants, many daily activities and it is, imo, a perfect sized ship. Still after six weeks I started looking forward to the end. No matter how many activities there are you still have a repetitive routine and certain people reach their limit to that sooner than others,

Wripro, absolutely. I agree. In the end it's what works for each person that cuonts. For us, the world cruises have been great but for the size of the ship and what it could offer was key. But for someone else regardless of ship the length of a world cruise would be too long.

That's why it's good that there is a lot of choice out there from the length of the voyages to the various types of ships and cruise lines.

Keith

We have done 30 days on both Regent Voyager and Silversea Shadow.

For us, that's the limit. Any longer is pushing it! If money were no object I would want to do the circumnavigation of Australia on SS Shadow next January. Have to win the lottery though!:(

We have done 30 days on both Regent Voyager and Silversea Shadow.

For us, that's the limit. Any longer is pushing it! If money were no object I would want to do the circumnavigation of Australia on SS Shadow next January. Have to win the lottery though!:(

We would love to do that cruise if it weren't for the long flight to get there.

The longest we did was 25 on Princess.I don't think the size matters my husband was ready to get home and back to the real world.The internet didn"t cut it any more.!0 -30 days that's it.We are 12 on Silversea in Sept and 14 on Princess in in Feb.Both are outstanding for their product but are like apples and oranges and different.The best was with Princess with our 2 grandsons 5 & 7 which we will never forget."Do you Know, Grandma You press the button and they will bring you anything you want"or better still" Grandma ,do you know all the food is Free here"A Vacation never to forget.Kathe

I am not a very experienced cruiser, but I am a fairly experienced traveler. I can not imagine being away for over 2 weeks at the most and 10 days is the most we have ever been away. Money is an issue, but even if it weren't elderly parents and dogs keep us fairly close to home. I am hoping that we are in fact able to go on the SS cruise we have booked for our 25th anniversary next year. It is fun to read about people's LONG cruises though; it is a world I can not fathom at this point in my life.

The longest cruise I have been on was 28 days on Queen Mary 2, after 10, I was so ready to get off the ship! On the other hand, I was on Seabourn Legend for 21 days, and had to be taken off the ship kicking and screaming! ;)

Host Dan

The longest cruise I was ever on was 100+ days around the world in 1968. It was perfect at the time, but would probably be too long now that I have "responsibilities". The shortest was 7 days - definitely too short, but on SS it is better than no cruise if you don't have to fly too far. Part of the decision of the optimal length of a cruise depends on whether you prefer sea days or days in port and how many of each any cruise offers.

Having said all that, I think 3 to 5 weeks is probably the right amount of time for us.

Having said all that, I think 3 to 5 weeks is probably the right amount of time for us.

I agree! Our upcoming Black Sea/Adriatic on the Spirit is barely long enough at 14 days. Our longest was 38 days on the Whisper and was our outer limit. Look forward to the 34 days on Whisper with you, Victoria, and Bob, on the Whisper next Jan-Feb! Great companions help make a cruise the perfect length!

Dieter

We have done 64 days on Insignia (B2B2B2B) with 4 separate dining options for dinner, 3 dining options for lunch, without any surcharge. Have done 35 day cruise on Silver Spirit and found dining options limited or expensive. This tends to limit variety to break the 'sameness' of repeated menus over a period of time. Seabourn have varied dining options without a surcharge, although, the all inclusiveness of Silversea is a most attractive proposition, it does need to be carried over to their alternative dining options.:)

The surcharge for alternative restaurants is Silversea's one big flaw imo. I know there is no surcharge for La Terrazza but there shouldn't be one for any restaurant on a luxury line.

I totally agree. Frankly, I was underwhelmed by Le Champagne and the degustation wines. While the presentation was quite nice, the food was not that special. We should have just bought a bottle of good wine to our taste. We probably will not do the degustation again.

Umtali, very insightful post, thanx

Henry, Emtbsam +1...if u do Le Champagne, recommend selecting a nice red

or White (or both) for purchase from the connoisseur wine list

I am not very experienced in cruising (just two cruises), but I have traveled a lot. 7 nights is to short, especially if you have to fly long hours. 20 – 25 days is a very nice vacation. More than that, only after retirement.

Archived