Funship Dollars

BcIcemen

How do you purchase them? Are they worth it?

Hi - here is a good thread on how to get them and why people buy them-

I always use them and have them applied to my S&S account - it just works for us (people will disagree) but do what is best for you.

:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1214183&highlight=funship+dollars

You can call Guest Services and purchase them. I always just buy from my computer. If you enter "Funship Dollars" in the search box they come right up. Then I enter OBC, booking # and the ships name instead of my address and receive an e-mail within a day or two telling me that they have received my OBC and will apply it within two weeks of my cruise. Have never had a problem. We just like having our vacation paid for and not having a bill at the end of a cruise

Hi - here is a good thread on how to get them and why people buy them-

I always use them and have them applied to my S&S account - it just works for us (people will disagree) but do what is best for you.

:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1214183&highlight=funship+dollars

Thank you so much for this great info. As a new cruiser, I was not aware of this. :)

Also, if you use credit card points, check to see if your card offers Funship Dollars gift certificates. I just traded in points for $300 in FSDs. I'm going to apply them to my final payment that's due in July.

Never mind...

I was going to say that to me "Fun" ship dollars come in $2.00 increments, but that will just start a whole new topic, that has been beat to death over and over,

So I am not going to say that to me $2.00 bills are a lot of fun to use on the ship, for tips, or to pay bills, or even to use when in ports.

Thank you

We ALWAYS use Funship $'s to pre-load our S&S account. Some may say it's a bad idea, but for us it's a way to save for our ship expenses in advance. It's all about what works for you. For us, it's better to have our S&S paid for before we leave!:D I love getting on the ship knowing we have $$$ to spend!:)

We ALWAYS use Funship $'s to pre-load our S&S account. Some may say it's a bad idea, but for us it's a way to save for our ship expenses in advance. It's all about what works for you. For us, it's better to have our S&S paid for before we leave!:D I love getting on the ship knowing we have $$$ to spend!:)

Have you been able to use it towards tips and gambling?

You can call Guest Services and purchase them. I always just buy from my computer. If you enter "Funship Dollars" in the search box they come right up. Then I enter OBC, booking # and the ships name instead of my address and receive an e-mail within a day or two telling me that they have received my OBC and will apply it within two weeks of my cruise. Have never had a problem. We just like having our vacation paid for and not having a bill at the end of a cruise

What lines do you put the booking number and ship on?

I am interested in learning this. So I know how to do this next week. You put your name in and then where it says address you just put "carnival & ship name? Like Carnival Splendor?"

That it? City State and zip code all have red * that mean they have to be filled in.

Sorry if I seem a little unsure I just don't want my funship money floating in cyber space.

What lines do you put the booking number and ship on?

I am interested in learning this. So I know how to do this next week. You put your name in and then where it says address you just put "carnival & ship name? Like Carnival Splendor?"

That it? City State and zip code all have red * that mean they have to be filled in.

Sorry if I seem a little unsure I just don't want my funship money floating in cyber space.

I've done this three or four times in the last two weeks. In the first address line, type "OBC" or "On Board Credit." In the second address line, type in your booking number. You're correct that you need to include city, state, and zip.

This has worked fine for me--I've received e-mails confirming they will put them on my S&S account and the first two Fundship Dollars purchases a couple weeks ago are already showing in my cruise documents. :D

Have you been able to use it towards tips and gambling?

I use it for everything onboard. I have already started my Dollar purchases for our Valor Cruise in 2012. (I buy $25.00 each pay)

Our kids are always asking us what we want for Birthdays, Anniversary's, etc. I used to always say "nothing just stop by for a visit", but since they are almost always at my house anyway that seemed kind of redundant, so last year we asked for drink coupons and by the time we went we were inundated with them. This year we are asking for funship dollars. With any luck we wont have to pay for anything.

They make a fun gift but I still don't see the logic in buying them for yourself when you can put that same money in the bank and earn interest. If you purchase $1000 in funship dollars you could have had $1030 in the bank, which is still more than $1000.

FOr me-- its the fun of getting them-- its MY countdown clock.

I buy them on my payday-- which is everyother week. It takes 7 days to get them--which is an off pay week== so every week I am doing something.

If I kept the money in the bank-- something will come up and I will need to spend the money.

Can you purchase Funship Dollars if you don't have a cruise booked and have no booking # etc?

They do have an expiration date.

We buy the funship dollars with no booking numbers-- it will be mailed to you. You will not be able to do the online booking to place it on your account with no numbers..

If I kept the money in the bank-- something will come up and I will need to spend the money.

If you mean an appliance will break or car needs repair, that can happen anytime. Having money in your bank doesn't "will" it to happen. Then what do you do when that occurs and all that cash is sitting in Carnival's bank? It's not going to help you out of a jam.

If you mean an appliance will break or car needs repair, that can happen anytime. Having money in your bank doesn't "will" it to happen. Then what do you do when that occurs and all that cash is sitting in Carnival's bank? It's not going to help you out of a jam.

Why do people always want to argue this point with someone:rolleyes: It's a personal choice, so why question it. MYOB.

I like to buy them too, for other reasons. Again, it's my choice. GEEEEZ.

I also CHOOSE to purchase Funship dollars each pay period and have them applied to my sail and sign account just like I Choose to prepay my tips and book and pay for all my excursions before hand, so when I get onboard I don't have to worry about these things.

I feel do what you want to do and don't let anybody's comments influence your decision because they think it's a bad idea or a waste of time.

Again, it's YOUR good point. Look...I'm sure that most people know basic accounting, but again...it's a person's choice.

Maybe I or the next person doesn't give a hoot about the few $$ that we/they might earn in interest. We'd rather have out vacas paid for and not have to worry about it at the end. It's nobodys business to question our motives.

Can you buy funship dollars with a CCL gift card? There are ways to "earn" money by buying gift cards...that would make it "worth it" to buy the funship dollars - IF you can use a gift card to purchase them.

They make a fun gift but I still don't see the logic in buying them for yourself when you can put that same money in the bank and earn interest. If you purchase $1000 in funship dollars you could have had $1030 in the bank, which is still more than $1000.

If you kept it there long enough you'd have $30. But, there are lots of things in this world that are worth $30 to me--like convenience and anticipation. I don't book very far ahead--certainly not far enough to worry about putting spending $$ into a savings account. And 3% interest is exceptional these days. I just did a search and the results showed a good rate right now is 1.05%. It's just not worth it to me. I'd rather buy Funship Dollars and have them waiting for me. That way I don't have to take the money out of savings, take it with me, go to the purser's desk, etc. My deposit's already made. :)

You may look down on those of us who do this and think we're making a foolish choice. Maybe try looking at it from another perspective. For some of us the anticipation is a huge part of the fun of cruising, and purchasing Funship Dollars and seeing them add up in your cruise documents is part of that anticipation. Well worth $30 for me. :D

Archived