Options in Corfu?

alliesma

We will be visiting Corfu in July. I am having a difficult time figuring out what to do there? We are considering a beach day? Does anyone who has been there have recommendations? Is it easy to get around using public transportation or would we need to rent a car? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW - we are a family of 4 - 2 young teens (who enjoy traveling and new experiences) and their parents in their 40's. We are open to suggestions.

If your cruise is port intensive and you'd like a break, Corfu is an excellent port to do so. When we were there in 2008, we took the public bus into town. It is very, very straightforward, and not very far away at all. We thoroughly enjoyed just wandering around the town at our own pace, stopping for a cold drink a few times and watching the people go by.

I'm sure there are lots of places to visit and things to do, but sometimes its nice on a Med cruise to visit a port that does NOT require rushing of to meet a tour! :)

My suggestion is to hire a taxi to show you some of the island's beautiful countryside and then take you to one of the various beautiful beaches. We took a taxi at the port and he/Spiros! drove us to various sites which would be great for your family. The beaches were nice and sandy, it would be a nice break from a hectic itinerary. The old town was okay, filled with shops....same old same old.

Alliesma: When are you going to be in Corfu? I also have a family with 2 teenagers (boys, ages 13 and 16). We are in Corfu on July 11th. I am planning on doing the cave grotto tours at the main beach in Paleokastritsa. Still not sure how to get there... deciding between bus, taxi and car rental which is why I am on this board. I also read of a glass bottom boat called the Kalypso Star which I think you can take out of the Old Town. May be a little touristy, but it sounded very interesting.

Thanks for the replies.

We will be there July 22. It is nice to know that a taxi to the beach is an option. Even doing a search has not helped me find much info on getting around Corfu. I will have to check out the cave grottos. Where did you find that info?

Here's a good link: http://gogreece.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&zTi=1&sdn=gogreece&cdn=travel&tm=64&f=20&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.agni.gr/ and http://www.greeka.com that was also helpful. I think they both have cave tour information. Trip advisor is also great help, too. They have forums on Corfu and a rated "Things to do" section.

If your cruise is port intensive and you'd like a break' date=' Corfu is an excellent port to do so. When we were there in 2008, we took the public bus into town. It is very, very straightforward, and not very far away at all. We thoroughly enjoyed just wandering around the town at our own pace, stopping for a cold drink a few times and watching the people go by.[/font']

I'm sure there are lots of places to visit and things to do, but sometimes its nice on a Med cruise to visit a port that does NOT require rushing of to meet a tour! :)

I'll second this suggestion. The bus was very easy. The old part of town is beautiful and very interesting. There are many shops filled with colorful things you'll not see elsewhere. There is also the fortress to explore right where you catch the bus back to the ship. The place is huge. We didn't allow enough time for either the town or the fortress as we had a tour in the afternoon. You can head to the beach to cool off after enjoying the town.

Archived