bigger passenger

closure

lol, bless your heart, love your attitude. I'm the same as you, got a gorgeous hunky man who loves me to death too. I have a t shirt that says "Fat people are hard to kidnap" and another one says "If you keep staring I may do a trick" LOL! And I don't care what anyone else thinks either! :p

bwahahaha I SOO want that t-shirt re: doing a trick!

my birthday is next saturday. maybe i'll hint to hubby that i want that on there. I have a brand new white t-shirt it'll go on too.

badidea t shirts (on the net) lol. Loads of them hunny X;)

OMG you would have just died just now watching me. i'm trying to sound it out Bah dah deea, bah dee dee yahh

then i pulled my head outta you know where and realised it was 'bad idea'

Lol what are you like!:D

what am i like???

i'm like a kiwi. furry and ugly on the outside but if you look past it, you'll find something sweet and juicy on the inside!

although i'm not green. nor do i have seeds.... but other than that, yup, i'm a kiwi :)

Edited by MissRabbit

You ladies are too cute! :-)

I'm so happy to have found this thread! DH and I are also fluffy. We're trying to decide which cruise line to use for our 4th anniversary trip. We love the itineraries that both Celebrity and Carnival offer. Which would ya'll say is more "fat friendly"...

Thanks! Tangerine

i've done celebrity and carnival. I would think Celebrity would be a better option. Although depending on your fluffiness, who knows. It's better to view pics of the public rooms/cabins on the individual ships to determine which will suit you best. Like on Celebrity, only the M class appear to have dining room chairs without arms while the other class of ships do.

I would say your personality comes into play too. You'll find a younger crowd on Carnival (as it's a fun ship) and a more older crowd on the classier Celebrity line. So it depends on if you are outgoing partier people or like a little more pampering (like hot towels in the washrooms).

As for treatment and being "fat friendly", it's really a wash as to which cruise line as there are *always* going to be the phobics on a cruise ship, no matter what.

FOr myself, i would lean toward Celebrity as some of the major smack talkers seem to be the younger crowd of teens and early 20's. You'll have them in higher numbers on Carnival.

You ladies are too cute! :-)

I'm so happy to have found this thread! DH and I are also fluffy. We're trying to decide which cruise line to use for our 4th anniversary trip. We love the itineraries that both Celebrity and Carnival offer. Which would ya'll say is more "fat friendly"...

Thanks! Tangerine

Welcome to you too! I see you're new here too! :D

Thank you for this thread. I started to get worried when DH and I started to look at excursion options and found many that we wanted to do had a weight limit.

We're first timers who are booked for RCCL Grandeur of the Seas in August. He's 6'5, 280 lbs and I'm 5'10 and heavier than that, having just losing 65 pounds (and counting).

Would appreciate any more tips. The last thing I want is to feel self-conscious or uncomfortable.

welcome to CC emmajoan!

For some reason, when i got here to CC, there were narry any threads regarding being overweight and cruising but now there are quite a few for you to go through for information. :)

It is always a stressful time when going anywhere, let alone on a vacation where thousands of dollars have been invested and where common attire are shorts and swimsuits.

What are ppl going to say? Are they going to gawk? Will there be appropriate seating? How can i get an excursion? Will i be able to get in and out of boats, buses, cabs etc etc? So many questions and often, very little in the way of answers.

My best suggestion to you and to any first timers cruising, is research. Do not be afraid to contact the ship and ask questions. Or if you're doing tours independently of the ship, ask those companies the questions. I'm currently corresponding with a tour operator in Belize City in regards to their tours and accessibility. You will find that MOST people are decent human beings who will be more than sensitive to your needs and answer you honestly.

There will always be people on the cruise who will be rude and a$$hats. But not any more than you deal with going to the grocery store, restaurants, beach or the movie theatre in your everyday life. There will always be weight related issues (regarding accessibility) on cruises but not any more than you deal with in your everyday life. So as long as you keep that in mind and deal with things the same as you would in your everyday life, you will be absolutely fine!!!

btw congrats on your recent weight loss! that is fantastic!!

Miss Rabbit ~ Thanks for the input. We're intersted in the Solsitice... and most pics seem to feature narrow, armed chairs. So, I'm a little worried about that. We took a Carnival cruise last year and it was fine, but we are looking for that more upscale experience... as long as it doesn't make us feel too uncomfortable. :~)

Gairy Fodmother ~ Thank you for the warm welcome! :-)

emmajoan ~ When we traveled last year most of the shore excursions had very detailed explainations online. If it said something like "must fit in a standard sized lifejacket/wetsuit" we knew it wasn't for us (but, we're a bit fluffier than your DH :-) We opted for one or two man excursions (the indicator of activity level). And we were always the first in line to board the bus, that way we could snag the front seat (more leg room and less awkward). Have a great trip!

Miss Rabbit ~ Thanks for the input. We're intersted in the Solsitice... and most pics seem to feature narrow, armed chairs. So, I'm a little worried about that. We took a Carnival cruise last year and it was fine, but we are looking for that more upscale experience... as long as it doesn't make us feel too uncomfortable. :~)

have you contacted the accessibility department on the cruise to arrange to have alternate seating without arms available to you?

I am a avid cruiser, and have been for many years. My first 2 cruises were as a 500+ passenger, the showers, chairs and everything else was fine for me Fantasy class ships. The only problem I really had was tenders when you go to shore on a smaller boat, it can be an athletic event if the sea is not really calm, heck I still have problems with tenders eventhough I am now 185lbs. My ex mil, also had a problem when she broke the ramp on dembarkation and almost fell between the ship and the dock. Also keep in mind that there will not be alot of free seating in the ports and the heat and walking combined can be extremly taxing, I still have problems with this, but we find a bar and get a drink, or sometimes if its safe I have sat on a curb in an alley thats close to the main street. Also be carefull of the sidewalks if there are any I have seen cracks, holes, and even broke a sidewalk in Belieze as a 185lb woman when I was expecting, so be watchful of anywhere on the ship or in port that could be a problem, medical care in the ports are spotty and may not be safe, and the medical care on the ship is really expensive. I developed a deep love of cruising while I was heavy and its the only way I travel now.

No, the thought hadn't occured to me... Thanks! When you cruised with Celebrity how was the theater seating?...

Theatre seating all depends on the ship. I cruised on the Millenium which had bench seating, so it was fine. It appears that the ship you want to go on, the Solstice, has theatre seating. Keep in mind, those arms probably don't move like Stadium seating in most theatres now. The accessibility department will be able to let you know for sure. The ship i'm going on in Oct has theatre seating with non-moving armrests. THey're going to provide me with an armless chair. However it has to be up in the back row (nosebleed section) in the wheelchair area as that's the only place to put a chair. If you can stuff yourself into a theatre seat, i'd suggest that, so you can get a better view.

I am a avid cruiser, and have been for many years. My first 2 cruises were as a 500+ passenger, the showers, chairs and everything else was fine for me Fantasy class ships. The only problem I really had was tenders when you go to shore on a smaller boat, it can be an athletic event if the sea is not really calm, heck I still have problems with tenders eventhough I am now 185lbs. My ex mil, also had a problem when she broke the ramp on dembarkation and almost fell between the ship and the dock. Also keep in mind that there will not be alot of free seating in the ports and the heat and walking combined can be extremly taxing, I still have problems with this, but we find a bar and get a drink, or sometimes if its safe I have sat on a curb in an alley thats close to the main street. Also be carefull of the sidewalks if there are any I have seen cracks, holes, and even broke a sidewalk in Belieze as a 185lb woman when I was expecting, so be watchful of anywhere on the ship or in port that could be a problem, medical care in the ports are spotty and may not be safe, and the medical care on the ship is really expensive. I developed a deep love of cruising while I was heavy and its the only way I travel now.

Congrats on your fantastic weight loss. Still trying to figure out how to do that almost impossible feat!

And yeah, seating in ports is pretty sketchy. Most places tend to have those plastic (with arms) outdoor chairs, or if they do have wooden chairs, they *still* have arms on them!

First thing i do, when arriving in a port, is scout out if there are any benches or areas to sit. Sometimes they have a low cement wall around trees that you can sit on, or other low walls. Once i know where the places to sit are, i can go about enjoying my day, knowing that when i get tired, i don't have to hunt for a place to sit as i already know where they are and can find the closest one.

ETA: Yikes on the boarding ramp and your MIL. That's still one of my biggest fears when walking the ramp into a plane, ship or tender.

Edited by MissRabbit

Theatre seating all depends on the ship. I cruised on the Millenium which had bench seating, so it was fine. It appears that the ship you want to go on, the Solstice, has theatre seating. Keep in mind, those arms probably don't move like Stadium seating in most theatres now. The accessibility department will be able to let you know for sure. The ship i'm going on in Oct has theatre seating with non-moving armrests. THey're going to provide me with an armless chair. However it has to be up in the back row (nosebleed section) in the wheelchair area as that's the only place to put a chair. If you can stuff yourself into a theatre seat, i'd suggest that, so you can get a better view.

Miss Rabbit ~ You crack me up! :p I was telling my husband that my weight hasn't changed in the last few years, but my tolerance for being uncomfortable has. In the past I would have squeezed into that kind of a chair, now I'd rather not. (Although, I'm still working up the courage to make the call to Celebrity about armless chairs...)

Yikes about the sidewalks!! When we went to Belize we stuck to the bus tour and Altun Ha tour - no sidewalks to contend with! And the ramp situation - my mom uses a scooter and loves to cruise... I'll be a lot more alert to the condition on the ramps before she drives over them. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh hell yeah, I just LOVE those stares and giggles, I find if I go up to them and confront them they are the ones who end up cringing. I have quite a good line of put downs so pick on me and you pick on the wrong person :D And yes I do go up to them, if they are rude enough to comment or stare then I'm rude enough to go right after them. I always win :D I'm a confident beeatch like that :D

Wow, remind me not to look too much when you walk by! I am not a small girl by any stretch of the imagination, but if you are so quick to put others down, doesn't that make you just as bad?. My disabled son gets his share of stares, but once he smiles sweetly most people do the same, the others don't deserve my attention. I am really not trying to flame here, but that kind of nastyness may be why you get so many stares. I will remind my Autisic Son not to look too hard at large people (he is very curious) as they may "have a good line of put downs" and his innocence and curiosity may be misconstrued as rudeness.

Wow, remind me not to look too much when you walk by! I am not a small girl by any stretch of the imagination, but if you are so quick to put others down, doesn't that make you just as bad?. My disabled son gets his share of stares, but once he smiles sweetly most people do the same, the others don't deserve my attention. I am really not trying to flame here, but that kind of nastyness may be why you get so many stares. I will remind my Autisic Son not to look too hard at large people (he is very curious) as they may "have a good line of put downs" and his innocence and curiosity may be misconstrued as rudeness.

Where do I say I'm *quick* to put people down? Oh and I'm not talking about autistic children here I'm talking about adults who should have some manners and who should know better than to bully and try and intimidate people like me.

Have you ever had someone step right in front of your shopping cart, effectively blocking your way, so they can literally peer in and see what a *fat* person buys? I have and sadly on more than one occasion. That to me is rude beyond belief and yes I just smiled sweetly at them as they perused my salad and fruit items.

I will confront someone if they openly point and make nasty comments to me, because I can. I don't go rushing in, I will have had to have taken a fair amount of abuse from them before I let them have it.

Actually children are not the rude ones and no I wouldn't confront a child ever, but a word or two to the parent might be had. But that hasn't happened yet. I've mainly had to deal with slim people who think they have a right to make someone they don't know feel bad about themselves, so if I can stop that in it's tracks and re educate them then I darn well will. Next.

my hubby is a big guy too and you have answered almost all my questions about access. We had bought camping type chairs that fold and come in a carry bag with a strap. I almost want to bring it so hubby can enjoy the balcony and have fun on shore and relax in his chair. How are the chairs on the balcony?

Can I check the chair like waters or would we have to carry it on? :rolleyes:

I don't think she was saying she's ready to pounce on anyone who looks at her. nor does her willingness to stand up for herself have anything to do with people being rude to her. It's simply because they saw her, saw she's overweight and chose immediately to bully her.

Let me ask you this.. if someone comes up to your son and says something rude to him about his Autism, laughing and mocking him, what would YOU do? Would you just smile and walk away or would you say something to them about it?

It's not ok to mock or be rude to anyone. So if someone does that to me, you better believe i'm going to say something to them.

• Like 1