Help me choose a line for Mexican Riviera

FatMike

Hey CCs..

I'm planning a cruise for my myself, my wife, and our 7-month old newborn (she will be 7 months at cruise time).

My wife and I have cruised before several times with RCCL. Since the Mariner is leaving Los Angeles, RCCL is out for my next cruise.

I'm planning on taking the trip in 02/11. The options are:

Carnival - Spirit (out of LA)

Holland - Oosterdam (Out of San Diego)

Princess - Sapphire (out of LA)

Norwegian - Star (out of LA)

What's comparable to RCCL? Prce wise, Princess is the most. We only cruise with a balcony (plus with an infant, it's needed!).

Any ideas on which are infant friendly? I don't know anything about Holland or Norwegian so I appreciate the input!

I've cruised Carnival before, and I'm OK with them.. but the wife has some reservations about Carnival.

Help me out!

Fatty

Hey CCs..

I'm planning a cruise for my myself, my wife, and our 7-month old newborn (she will be 7 months at cruise time).

My wife and I have cruised before several times with RCCL. Since the Mariner is leaving Los Angeles, RCCL is out for my next cruise.

What's comparable to RCCL? Prce wise, Princess is the most. We only cruise with a balcony (plus with an infant, it's needed!).

Any ideas on which are infant friendly? I don't know anything about Holland or Norwegian so I appreciate the input!

I've cruised Carnival before, and I'm OK with them.. but the wife has some reservations about Carnival.

Help me out!

Fatty

I think Carnival Spirit is out of San Diego? Carnival Splendor is out of Long Beach. We like the lay out of Carnival Spirit, and love La Paz as one of the port. As for Splendor, the ship is newer and they have a really cool little kiddie splash/water park for the little one.

We will be on the Mariner in August, so don't know yet.

We've sailed the Spirit and Princess Star, we actually enjoyed both. Would have to say that Princess is a step up. I sent my in-laws on Oosterdam, they LOVED it! They've done Carnival and RCI before, they said that they would choose Oosterdam/Holland over all other lines. They aren't old and boring, so you can eliminate that mentality. I sent my mom and aunt on NCL to Mex. Riviera, they HATED it (they've done Princess, RCL, Carnival). They prefer RCL and Princess, but would do Carnival again.

If your child was older, I'd recommend Carnival and even Princess, our children enjoyed both programs. If you want to be pampered, have great food, I'd go for Oosterdam. We got to tour the ship, WOW, talk about classy, and the rooms were NICE!!!! It was an older crowd, but not one foot in the grave old, lol.

Anyhow, that's my 'advice'.... If I was in your shoes, I'd probably do Princess, but that's me.

I think at that time of year there are 2 Carnival options. Carnival Spirit (great ship) is out of San Diego - does summer runs in Alaska too. The Carnival Splendor is the newer ship that sails our of Long Beach by Queen Mary. I haven't been on that one yet but sailed out of both ports. I personally like sailing out of San Diego and love the Spirit so that would be my vote.

Spirit is doing various Mexico options - I did the La Paz run when it was a 7 day option and I am doing the Spirit in October to Cabo & Ensenada on a 5 day option. I personally prefer Carnival Spirit over Mariner. I wasn't fond of my Mariner cruise but thats my opinion.

Spirit looks good.. only from a pricing standpoint. The 9 day looks cool, with the overnight in Cabo and La Paz.

A little bit worried about first time on Carnival.. but I think it might work.

I really liked the Star because NCL only charges tax for an infant (about $100).

Spirit looks good.. only from a pricing standpoint. The 9 day looks cool, with the overnight in Cabo and La Paz.

A little bit worried about first time on Carnival.. but I think it might work.

I really liked the Star because NCL only charges tax for an infant (about $100).

2 days in Cabo doesn't mean an overnight stay. They leave Cabo during the night so they can gamble & open duty free shops.

I took Oosterdam; doing the Copper Canyon was the goal of the trip and this last spring (2010) they were the only major line with that option. It was not during school season; I expected an older crowd and it was that! I estimate people under 55yo were less than 20% of passengers. There were many active and interesting seniors but if you want more people in the 30-50 crowd then Carnival is probably a better bet. However, HAL is more upscale than Carnival; even my teen noticed the differences. Think Nordstrom vs. Target- nothing wrong with either but different products and demographics.

Carnival will have some new, unique Mexico iteneraries (including ones that stay overnight in either Cabo or PV and allow almost 2 full days in port). Also I noticed HAL dropped La Paz this coming season but Carnival has added it.

• 3 weeks later...
The Disney Wonder will also be there at that time. They have a kids sail free promo going for that time period. Maybe your little one would like to cruise with Mickey and Minnie.

With a 7 month old I would do Disney Wonder. They are the only line of the ones you are considering with an nursery for your 7 month old. It is called Flounders and is very loving, safe care. We sailed when my son was 6 months old and they did great with him. I'm sure on a 7 day sailing you'll need some time away from your bundle of joy enjoying couple time. You could even have them watch him while you were in one of the ports (as long as you took a Disney sponsored cruise, they radio back to the nursery if there are any delays, etc.)

As to your question about which line is CLOSEST to Royal? That would be Princess, I would DEFINEATLEY do Princess. We have done Oosterdam and though the ship is nice we were pretty bored and we are in our late 40's and early 50's, The entire ship seems to cater to and expect a geriatric crowd.

We were on the NCL Star and didn't like it at all. We have made seven trips down on RCCL and will now try a different one but it won't be NCL.

I wouldn`t do another NCL cruise if they paid me too.....

We have done both the Diamond and Sapphire Mex Riv cruise and loved them both. Great teen program and the little ones in the kids club looked very happy. I know that the baby is too young for the clubs ....

you can do a 9 night mex riv for what most are chargin on the 7 with the spirt . we did the splendor last yr was ok .osterdam the year before a really nice ship.rccl along time ago . and princess, my vote would be the sprirt . love leaving from san diego 2 days in cabo .. la paz . we book for the dec one ill let you know how it was ,:p:p

Archived