Help me choose a line for Mexican Riviera

FatMike

Hey CCs..

I'm planning a cruise for my myself, my wife, and our 7-month old newborn (she will be 7 months at cruise time).

My wife and I have cruised before several times with RCCL. Since the Mariner is leaving Los Angeles, RCCL is out for my next cruise.

I'm planning on taking the trip in 02/11. The options are:

Carnival - Spirit (out of LA)

Holland - Oosterdam (Out of San Diego)

Princess - Sapphire (out of LA)

Norwegian - Star (out of LA)

What's comparable to RCCL? Prce wise, Princess is the most. We only cruise with a balcony (plus with an infant, it's needed!).

Any ideas on which are infant friendly? I don't know anything about Holland or Norwegian so I appreciate the input!

I've cruised Carnival before, and I'm OK with them.. but the wife has some reservations about Carnival.

Help me out!

Fatty

If you were happy with RCI, I would try Princess.

Keith

I was going to say the same thing. I find that these two lines, while different, provide an equivalent cruising experience.

I agree I would probably go with Princess...I have been on carnival Splendor on the Mex. Riv cruise and there were a lot of families so I am sure they would work too...I am thinking HAL might be a little too kick back..older crowd...NCL...don't know haven't cruised them but I have heard either you really love the free style cruising or you don't...probably a lot of families on there.

Pick what you and you wife would like---------there is nothing for infants under the age of one unless you go with Disney or Royal Caribbean's Oasis, and they don't sail in that area. You won't even find babysitting services.

Hey CCs..

Norwegian - Star (out of LA)

Help me out!

Fatty

my vote is NCL STAR (see my signature)

it will be the last time for us to sail our BELOVED STAR as she is moving to TAMPA...LA quick plane ride...

FREE~STYLE is nice and relaxing...no stress...EVERYONE should try it at least once:)

Disney Wonder will start sailings in Jan 2011 Mex Riv. and right now they have a promotion that children sail free with 2 paying adults in the same stateroom (for certain sailings) Just had a friend book for Jan 23rd sailing.

Disney Wonder will start sailings in Jan 2011 Mex Riv. and right now they have a promotion that children sail free with 2 paying adults in the same stateroom (for certain sailings) Just had a friend book for Jan 23rd sailing.

I just booked the Disney cruise Jan 23 mentioned above. And I sailed Disney this past Christmas with an infant 6 months old at the time. If you have an infant, and you are wanting to do the Mexican Riviera anyway, book now on Disney-- by far. You'll get a few nursery hours a day for your infant and they love babies! And with kids sail free, you can't resist... or wait because rooms are going fast! Disney has some of the best service in the business. View my "Trip Report" at IndependentTraveler.com which compares Disney Cruise to Carnival in about every aspect. It was selected as the Trip Report of the Week several months ago.

Even though Disney is a more expensive cruise than Princess, it might be more economical if you get the children sail free promotion. However, it you decide that Disney isn't the experience you want, I would definitely suggest the Princess since you like RCCL. We did the Sapphire Mexican Rivera about a month ago and would be glad to answer any questions if you want to contact me at kacruiser@sbcglobal.net.

Archived