Who's the best Carnival cruise director?

gslargent

We've been fortunate to have had Karl with a K on the Imagination, before they moved him to wherever he is now, and Wee Jimmy on the Legend - and really enjoyed them. Karl is quite a singer! Trevor was on the Fascination when we were on it, and was not particularly memorable.

Well the only ones I remember are: Big tex(our first carnival cruise), Steve, and Brad(last cruise).

I never had any issues with any of them.

I have read about this sign off others have talked about, but I have never heard a sign off by any of the CD. I think only 1 cruise I have been on was there a morning show with announcements and the days events. I think that was with Big Tex.

Maybe it's because the 5 day cruise does not have those? I haven't found the morning shows any more and I barely hear announcements.

Any insight from anyone?

My favorite cruise directors are Risa (note the avatar) and Jeremy. I have sailed with Jeremy four times and Risa three times and each cruise was great.

Jorge is probably the funniest and Steve Cassel may be the most musically talented of all the cruise directors.

We have been on three cruises so far and I would have to say the best cruise director we have experienced was Jen Baxter. She was funny, loud, and exactly what you expect a cruise director to be. We had Chris Jefferson on our second Conquest cruise and we were not impressed. And then, on our Ecstasy cruise, I couldn't tell you who the cruise director was. I was pretty much drugged up on painkillers and lying in the bed sleeping the entire cruise. But, I'm hoping for a great cruise director on our November 6-14, 2010, cruise on the Carnival Freedom. I believe it is... Ryan Fitzgerald although I have never heard of him. I hope he is a good CD.

I've never really had a bad CD. I doubt a CD would last too long on Carnival or other lines if he/she constantly got bad reviews. I'm sure all CD's occassionally have their off days or week.

Steve Cassel (Ecstasy) is a great entertainer -- juggling, fiddling, and classical violin. Some think he is "hokey", but I like him a lot.

Jorge -- I wonder if this is the same Jorge on the Elation out of Galveston in November, 2006. He was funny. He even filled in for the R-rated comedy show one night because for some reason the booked comedian did not make it. (The Elation replaced the Ecstasy for the 5-day cruise; the Conquest replaced the Elation for the 7-day cruise; the Ecstasy was in New Orleans as a hotel for the Katrina workers.)

I think the toughest thing is that the CD not only has to be a good entertainer and MC, but also a good manager from a cruise staff viewpoint.

I have been on four cruises and on three I couldn't tell you if I ever saw the cruise director. On our fourth cruise we had John Heald on the Dream and he was great. We would watch his morning show every day and they were hilarious. So were his performances in the main lounge.

I've never really had a bad CD. I doubt a CD would last too long on Carnival or other lines if he/she constantly got bad reviews. I'm sure all CD's occassionally have their off days or week.

Steve Cassel (Ecstasy) is a great entertainer -- juggling, fiddling, and classical violin. Some think he is "hokey", but I like him a lot.

Jorge -- I wonder if this is the same Jorge on the Elation out of Galveston in November, 2006. He was funny. He even filled in for the R-rated comedy show one night because for some reason the booked comedian did not make it. (The Elation replaced the Ecstasy for the 5-day cruise; the Conquest replaced the Elation for the 7-day cruise; the Ecstasy was in New Orleans as a hotel for the Katrina workers.)

I think the toughest thing is that the CD not only has to be a good entertainer and MC, but also a good manager from a cruise staff viewpoint.

Jorge was a professional comedian prior to joining Carnival. In fact, he was a fly-on comedian with Carnival before becoming a CD.

Steve Cassel played the violin in one of the featured shows, singing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and performed a classical piece when I was on the Holiday. I agree with you - nothing hokey about his talent. He has been a professional juggler for many years.

Actually we really enjoy Henni (from South Africa) but he is an Assistant Cruise Director. Risa was really boring.

We had Henni on the Fantsy June 5th sailing and he was the Cruise Director. I can't remember the assistant. He was ok. I thought his "bye bye......bye bye" was boring, but the rest of my group (10 others) loved it and him.

My first CD and my favorite is Jorge Salono. Great personality, funny, and very friendly.

Kirk, on the Pride!!

i liked kirk a lot, too! but i think you're the only one to mention him yet - and he doesn't get talked about a bunch like some of the others... i liked the simple fact that he was down to earth, and related to and changed his bit based on the audience, etc. not just a bunch of pre-planned jokes, etc.

jorge was pretty good, too... but he's definitely more along the lines of those with a 'bit'... he's funny, but i guess i don't think he's as funny as a lot of others seem to... to each their own...

i liked kirk a lot, too! but i think you're the only one to mention him yet - and he doesn't get talked about a bunch like some of the others... i liked the simple fact that he was down to earth, and related to and changed his bit based on the audience, etc. not just a bunch of pre-planned jokes, etc.

jorge was pretty good, too... but he's definitely more along the lines of those with a 'bit'... he's funny, but i guess i don't think he's as funny as a lot of others seem to... to each their own...

I also think Kirk is great, probably second on my list. His ACD/girlfriend Jaime is also great. She'll make a great CD one day.

John Heald is the best to me, I had Big Tex on my last Cruise and I wasn't really feeling him..........

I have been on 4 Carnival cruises my fav. is Malcom Burns (WooHoo). In a April we had a English chick she was not good. I can't even remember her name that should say something for her.

• 1 month later...

I just got off Victory yesterday and thought Karl with a K was awesome. I've never paid attention to who the cruise director was, but he was so funny and very visable. He had a great voice too. Loved him!!!

Going on the Dream in a few weeks and it looks like we got Todd Wittner. Is he any good? Who's the best CD in the Carnival bunch in your opinion? And what do you think makes a good one?

I am continually amazed that some people actually care.

Their job is to emcee, run programs and PR. Not a cruise changing experience in my books. Entertaining nonetheless but not a big deal to us. I don't remmeber any of their names.

Archived