Who's the best Carnival cruise director?

gslargent

While we've only been one one cruise ( so far) Wee Jimmy really stood out. My wife and I liked him a great deal. What really put him above the other staff on the ship, though... In Cozumel my wife and I were eating lunch in an out of the way place and in he walked to do the same. He looked at us and asked if we were on the Legend. When we said we were he came over and introduced himself and chatted with us for a bit.

The funny part is, we had only seen him in a kilt up to that point and even then, we would not have know him from Adam out on the streets. We were both very impressed. The rest of the cruise whenever he saw us or we saw him he always made mention of lunch that day. I know it's probably his "job" but to take time away from his personal time off... that made our day. If he had not said something to us, neither of us would have been the wiser :)

Two of my least favorite things about Carnival are the obnoxious cruise directors and the singing waiters. With your time dining, we can now avoid sininging waiters. But having put up with some guy named Steve Knisley :mad: on our last Carnival cruise was part of the reason we moved to other lines. On the whole, I am not a fan of those constant AM and PM shows blaring from the big screen theaters near the pools or the cruise directors constant use of the PA systems and loudspeakers. I am assuming that if we do book the Magic for next August that would mean Todd Wittmer (he is not obnoxious) or John Heald (have only read about him but not been aboard while he's been the cruise director).

As for the worst, Steve Knisley has to be the worst to ever step foot on a ship! If I ever find out he is going to be our CD on a ship I will change ships in a heartbeat!

As for the best, IMO, Stuart Dunn! He had us in stitches on the Spirit last year and he was everywhere on the ship! Can't wait to cruise with him again!

We loved Graham Seymour, who isn't with Carnival anymore, he's with RCI. Too bad because boy was he funny!

I think we're going to have Butch next week. I'll let you know what I think of him after we get back.

Have to say my I have a top 3.....

1. Corey Schmidt (retired from Carnival)

2. John Heald (went back and forth about 1 and 2 here... so close!)

3. Big Tex

Corey and John are pretty even in my mind and hard to pick one as better than the other! Big Tex was very funny and very present. Really liked him on our last cruise. The other two or three CD's don't stick out in my mind at all. But I would take any of the three above at any time! Very funny and approachable.

• 2 months later...

Just got done with the 10/10/10 sailing of the Splendor. John Heald was the cruise director. He was by far the best cruise director we have ever had. He is so incredibly entertaining and funny. This was the cruise that a crew member jumped overboard. John handled the situation like the true professional he is. I can't remember other cruise directors we have had but I will remember John.

Was on the Dream Oct 2 and had Butch for the second time. First time was on the Glory in 2008. Butch did an awesome job. He was out and about and very friendly. He actually introduced all the shows in person instead of a recording like I had on the last cruise I was on. I would definitely sail again with him.

Pat

We've only been on 2 cruises, and we got stuck with Steve Knisley both times... He rubs me the wrong way, there is an arrogance to him I didn't care for.. We made friends with some of the crew, thy were not fans of his either... Expecially the females... LOL Love, Love John Heald, never have had him as a CD, but really enjoy his blog !!!

Going on the Dream in a few weeks and it looks like we got Todd Wittner. Is he any good? Who's the best CD in the Carnival bunch in your opinion? And what do you think makes a good one?

Any idea who the cruise director will be on the Inspiration Jan 2011?

I vote for Karl, too - he was on our first Liberty cruise and we were happily surprised to find him as the CD on our Imagination cruise last year. He's genuinely funny, friendly, and remembered people's names! We saw him out and about the ship quite a lot.

I hate to say it, but aside from Karl (and Kyle, who was the CD on our Liberty trip this year - I was NOT impressed), I don't really remember the CD's -

I do remember Pip from the Destiny last May - but he wasn't the CD. I don't really know why I remember him other that that he told everyone to say "Pip pip hooray" and then got mad at the kids for following him around the ship doing it - I guess they're used to annoying people, not being annoyed, lol.

such a subjective topic but Steve Knisley was one of my all time favourites.

I had him on the Liberty May 2008 and was desperately hoping he'd be the CD for my December Liberty cruise in 09 but I think we just missed him and I honestly can't remember who the CD was that time.

I liked Steve because he would make sure to stop and at the very least chat with me everytime he saw me.

I love having that kind of 'cruise relationship' with entertainment staff... in 09 I had it with Rick one of the activity people, he was awesome and if he persues a carer with Carnival he'd be a great CD one day.

As for the worst, Steve Knisley has to be the worst to ever step foot on a ship! If I ever find out he is going to be our CD on a ship I will change ships in a heartbeat!

As for the best, IMO, Stuart Dunn! He had us in stitches on the Spirit last year and he was everywhere on the ship! Can't wait to cruise with him again!

GREAT! this is exactly what I need to read 12 days before we cruise. lol

GREAT! this is exactly what I need to read 12 days before we cruise. lol

Don't worry I just returned from the Elation and Steve was the CD and I enjoyed him.I think they all have there great things and all or lacking in other things but all are wonderful!We all have to remember that somedays they might not feel so great and they can't just take the time off till they can feel better.I am not at my best everyday and I don't think anyone is.

So far, my favorite CD has been Malcolm!

Karen

mine too! first time we had him, he was assistant.

couple cruises later, he was CD.

MALCOLM BURNS. NEVER FORGOT HIS NAME FROM THE FIRST TIME.

worst was some idiot named josh. it was oct.23, 2005, wilma followed us across the state. out of bahamas.

got to st. thomas/st. marteen, weather great. on the way home, alpha and beta were behind us. pools closed, weather dreary.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO! and i blame the CD for that!

anyway, heard he was fired after that cruise, alot of complaints, not about the weather, but about the NOTHING GOING ON!

yeah MALCOLM BURNS, THE BEST!

We've only been on 2 cruises, and we got stuck with Steve Knisley both times... He rubs me the wrong way, there is an arrogance to him I didn't care for.. We made friends with some of the crew, thy were not fans of his either... Expecially the females... LOL Love, Love John Heald, never have had him as a CD, but really enjoy his blog !!!

Totally agree with you. Been on 5 CC cruises, only 2 memorable CD's. John Heald by far the best, so far no one has come close. Steve Knisely, so bad and so arrogant. We always have to cruise during spring break & I have never had a CD devote the entire cruise to college kids the way he did. Knisely seemed to forget there were over 2000 other guests on the ship who weren't 20 year olds.

Archived