Blue Lagoon

teresag

We went to Blue lagoon in Jan... we did the snorkeling trip but I would have to think it is similar... we boarded the snorkeling boat at 930 and snorked until 12-- then had lunch over at blue lagoon and then they had boats going back to port at 2 and 4... we choose the earlier one so we could sightsee before getting aboard the ship at 5:30.. for us this was all inclusive.. no charge for lunch or beaching... check your brochures..

We did the Dolphin Encounter on January 25th. I don't think there is any way to get to the Blue Lagoon part of the island from the dolphin area. They are right next to each other but not really connected. There is no mention at all about it in the orientation and even the boats you take are different. I have to say that the beach looks ok there, but the facilities don't look nearly as nice as on Coco Cay. You should call them up and ask directly.

If you booked the dolphin swim with Dolphin Encounters then you will have to leave directly after the swim. If you booked the encounter through the cruise line I'm not sure. I did email Dolphin Encounters and asked if someone doing the encounter could wait if part of their group is doing the swim which lasts longer. They said they could stay and return with the swim excursion people but that was just to stay and watch. I don't htink there is a beach you could just lay out on until the swimmers were done. HTH

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from Blue Lagoon Snorkel excursion and have to say that it is work, but there are interesting underwater sights to see and a few (10) different species of fish. We went assuming a fairly easy beach access to the snorkeling, but after going to the other side of the island away from the lagoon itself (in response to some very unspecific directions from the rental shop) we found one of the only snorkeling areas to be very difficult to access. The area has many slippery and shallow (6" below waterline) large rock ledges and medium to large rocks interspersed with brief sandy areas. Easy to trip and fall, turn an ankle or skin a knee, I saw many people fall on the way in/out. But after getting into 3-4' of water it was fairly easy.... BTW: Don't bother with the food there, it was very low quality and high priced. Also, if you can get a seat on the 35 minute boat ride over on the second level away from the band (loud) but next to the bar (convienent) take it....

Thanks cruisercw. I think we're going to opt for a snorkel excursion to Athol Island and snorkel in 15-20 feet of water and not have to work as hard. The excursion is over at 12:30 and that will leave us enough time to go to the beach too.

We're now looking at using the beach at the British Colonial Hilton for $15 each a day. It's in a lagoon area also with beach chairs, drink service on the beach and use of the pool with a live band playing near the pool area. They also have an outdoor grill that serves the Conch Fritters that we're wanting to try. I've been emailing them back and forth and they're very helpful. It's only a 3 minute walk from the ship. So less travel time than if we were to go to Cable Beach leaves us more time on the beach. I'm ready. We'll be there in 15 days.

So, if you purchase the Blue Lagoon with snorkle, are you taken to a different part of the island from the people who just purchased the Blue Lagoon excursion. Part of my family wants to snorkle the other part does not, but we really don't want to be separated. I was under the impression that if you purchased the excursion with snorkle, they give you a ticket for the snorkle equipment to get from the shop then you snorkle at the same area as the non- snorklers. Is this correct?????

You are correct, you go over to the island on the same boat and get the ticket for the snorkle gear (my wife did the non-snorkle option) at the "dive shop". You can snorkle in the nice lagoon area however there is virtully nothing to see there other than the sandy bottom. No one takes you to any other area, if you ask about the snorkling, they will direct you generally to the other end of the island (5 min walk). That is where the difficult access comes in. If you have kids that just want to try on the gear and paddle around the lagoon area you would have no problems, but I doubt you would see any fish.

We're now looking at using the beach at the British Colonial Hilton for $15 each a day. It's in a lagoon area also with beach chairs, drink service on the beach and use of the pool with a live band playing near the pool area. They also have an outdoor grill that serves the Conch Fritters that we're wanting to try. I've been emailing them back and forth and they're very helpful. It's only a 3 minute walk from the ship. So less travel time than if we were to go to Cable Beach leaves us more time on the beach. I'm ready. We'll be there in 15 days.

Two cruisers 723,

How did you find out the info on the british Colonial Hilton? I checked the website and didn't see anything. Did you call them directly and do you have a confirmation number. The pictures look great! We are looking for somewhere easy to get to and a place to relax.

Thanks!

Peg :cool:

It was a recommendation on these boards. I called the (800) customer service line and they couldn't give me any info. So I emailed the general customer service email address that was on the hilton sight. They forwarded my email to the British Colonial Hilton and someone from there emailed me. I can give you the address if you need it. All you have to do is go to the front desk and pay $15 that day. You don't need a reservation. Here are some of the responses I got from them that may help you get answers to your questions without having to contact them:

Please note that the British Colonial Hilton allows non-guest the use of beach facility at a cost of $15 per person per day.

The patio Grill is open between the hours of 1pm to 6pm. However we stop serving food at 5pm.

Our server on duty walks on the beach and takes drink orders. So you would not have to walk to the Patio Grill Bar each time you need a drink.

A variety of native dishes are served at the Patio Grill. We also serve conch fritters.

Unfortunately we do not rent beach mats. But we provide towels for our guest.

The walk from the cruise ship to the British Colonial Hilton is only about 3 minutes. But of course in your travel you will stop to visit the World's famous Straw Market and other local attractions, so you will probably take about 10 minutes.

There are lounge chairs available at the beach. Also in the Palm Court of the hotel we have live band music. This can be heard from the pool area. Once you pay your $15 per person to the front desk you will also have access to both pool and beach.

We are looking forward to seeing you and making your short stay with us an enjoyable one.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know if I go to Blue Lagoon on Carnival excursion, can I do a dolphin encounter on the same day if I book directly with the dolphin encounter co? If anyone has done this before, did it go well? Was there enough time? Did you go back to the ship on the Blue Lagoon shore excursion boat?

Thanks

Does anyone know if I go to Blue Lagoon on Carnival excursion, can I do a dolphin encounter on the same day if I book directly with the dolphin encounter co? If anyone has done this before, did it go well? Was there enough time? Did you go back to the ship on the Blue Lagoon shore excursion boat?

Thanks

Yes, you should be able to book a Blue Lagoon beach day with Carnival. I was on a Carnival ship last August and did it. Saw the most interesting sea life that I have ever seen snorkling. A 4ft. shark swam right by me, a school of barracudas checked us out and the final straw for me was a sea snake swimming within 2 feet of me! At that point I had had enough snorkling for the day!

Tracy

Two Cruisers 723,

Thanks for the info.

Tracy,

I agree...that sounds like "too close for comfort" with snorkling!! I've heard bad things about Blue Lagoon and snokling...might need to look into it again.

Peg :cool:

Can anyone tell me if there are chairs on the beach at Blue Lagoon? Do you have to pay to rent them? Also, was that snorkling experience from Blue Lagoon? I had heard the snorkling really wasn't any good there. Was access to the snorkling area hard to get to? Some posters had mentioned that it was rocky. Do you know if you can rent snorkling equipment once you get there?

Thanks for all the answers.

Archived