Any recent experience of the Fun Factory

Jo and Rob

Just wondering if anyone is back from Celebrity from a recent cruise and has any comments positive or negative about the kids club (particularly for age 6 and 9) We will be sailing on the Eclipse.

Many thanks in advance

Did you see my posts after my Equinox cruise in April? Search the boards for them if you didn't. You can also read the review I posted on the main CC page.

DD was in the 6-8 group and it was a fantastic experience. I'm not going to repeat it all here because I'm fairly sure you've seen my posts about it already. Celebrity does a fantastic job with the kids.

Yes thanks I read your review. It is funny that everyone says (including a fellow mum in the playground who is a TA although we didn't book with her) that Royal Carribean are more geared up to children and seem to think that Celebrity is for older passengers. My DD was too young for the climbing wall and both were too short for the flowrider on Indy so the quality of the kids club is what really counts. (Plus our 14 nights in the Med for next year was nearly £2000 cheaper on Celebrity than it would have been on Indy)

We have received confirmation of our change of cabin to 7131 a 2B with double sofa bed and upper berth so thanks again Scrapchick for your input on that one! Trouble is we still have over a year to wait!! so research is as close as I am going to get to cruising for a bit!

I am going to go to that cabin next month and see what this "double sofa bed" actually looks like, because I won't believe it till I see it!! Have never heard of such a thing.... We're going to be down the hall in 7127... I still think your TA is selling you a line on that one....

Anyway, yes you're right.... It's quality not quantity with the kids clubs.... had an interesting chat with the wonderful Fun Factory girls on the Equinox at Easter about RCCL and Carnival kids clubs..... Even the FF girls were les than complimentary about those lines, saying on Carnival the slides are often closed and there aren't enough staff to supervise them. We were on Carnival once when DD was 2 and she wasn't old enough for the slide at the time. I noticed it was only open for a few set hours a day and there was an age limit to it. Same on RCCL... The rock wall isn't open all the time, only on sea days at certain times. It's very misleading. There is a near obesssion on this board for RCCL and Carnival because they're supposed to be the most family friendly. Personally, I'm not going to pick a cruise based on what would make my DD happy. It's a family vacation and we're paying for it, so we decide... Obviously, we try to select lines that we think will be good for everyone.

Celebrity is a classy, quality experience and I think you will love it. There won't be hairy chest contests and stuff like that, so if you do want that you will be disappointed. Personally, I saw all that on Carnival and have no desire to ever go back with them again. As for the kids club, Celebrity has a more educational program, where the kids learn as they are occupied. The staff are highly trained and very competent and really great with both kids AND parents. You won't be scolded if you're five minutes late picking up. It's much more civilsed than some other lines in that regard. I found they were reasonable and flexible and very aware of what each child's needs were. I honestly think you will have a fabulous time and won't see much of the kids because they'll also be having a great time too....

Scrapchick, I find that I almost always agree with you 100% and this is no exception. The last time my kids were on Celebrity was 2008, so it's not all that recent. But that was our Med cruise on the Summit (kids were 7 and 11) and we had a fantastic time. I can't imagine picking a port intensive Med cruise based on the presence of water slides or rock climbing walls. We recently went on the Mariner of the Seas, our first RCI cruise. We went to the Mexican Riviera, and for us it was more to enjoy the ship than the ports. We had a good time, but were surprised by the limited hours that the rock climbing wall and ice skating are open. Our older DD is now 13, and I can see RCI as being more fun for someone her age. She could at least do those things without her parents, which was a big plus in her eyes.:rolleyes: But when it came time to pick our 2011 Med cruise, I went back to Celebrity without hesitation!

We were on the Easter Solstice cruise with GS age 7. He loved the Fun Factory and had to pull him away. Signed him up for the VIP package which gave a bridge tour and backstage tour plus a special movie. It was well worth the $110 since it covered after 10 charges and port days extras. He recently went to the JW Marriot in Orlando and mom signed him up for a camp there for part of the day. She sold him on by telling him it was just like "Cruise ship camp." He didn't want to leave there either!

Celebrity is a classy, quality experience and I think you will love it. There won't be hairy chest contests and stuff like that, so if you do want that you will be disappointed. Personally, I saw all that on Carnival and have no desire to ever go back with them again. As for the kids club, Celebrity has a more educational program, where the kids learn as they are occupied. The staff are highly trained and very competent and really great with both kids AND parents. You won't be scolded if you're five minutes late picking up. It's much more civilsed than some other lines in that regard. I found they were reasonable and flexible and very aware of what each child's needs were. I honestly think you will have a fabulous time and won't see much of the kids because they'll also be having a great time too....

I can safely say I don't want to be anywhere near a hairy chest competition! Our first cruise was on the Crown Princess (no children so I don't know about their kid's club) and thought how classy the ship felt. I am hoping that Celebrity has that same feel. The staff all made us feel so special. It had 3000 passengers like Eclipse, but it was a big ship with a small feel, is the Eclipse like that?

I notice that there are some fountains near the pools on the Eclipse. Are they popular with your children? Do they spray all the time and do they have lights on in the dark?

Is there any way that the children can visit the bridge without paying for the full VIP package? Can adults visit the bridge at all?

Kids only got to go with VIP package. Did not see any offers for adults to go. Bridge tours were done on port days so have to arange your tours around their times if you want the kids to go. Maybe someone else knows more, but that's how it worked on our trip.

Look at this thread from the main Celebrity board. It says to go to Guest Relations on the first day and ask if you can go on a Bridge Tour. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218721

Our family was invited to go on a Bridge Tour on our Summit cruise. I have no idea how or why we were picked. It was only our 2nd Celebrity cruise and we were in regular balcony cabins, and did not buy the VIP package for our kids. But we definitely enjoyed it!

Look at this thread from the main Celebrity board. It says to go to Guest Relations on the first day and ask if you can go on a Bridge Tour. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218721

Our family was invited to go on a Bridge Tour on our Summit cruise. I have no idea how or why we were picked. It was only our 2nd Celebrity cruise and we were in regular balcony cabins, and did not buy the VIP package for our kids. But we definitely enjoyed it!

Did it cost any money? If so how much was it?

Did it cost any money? If so how much was it?

When we went in 2008 there was no charge. Maybe someone will post with a recent experience taking the bridge tour on Celebrity. The cruise lines seem to keep dreaming up new ways to generate revenue, like the Ultimate Ship Tour on Princess.

We were on the Easter Solstice cruise with GS age 7. He loved the Fun Factory and had to pull him away. Signed him up for the VIP package which gave a bridge tour and backstage tour plus a special movie. It was well worth the $110 since it covered after 10 charges and port days extras. He recently went to the JW Marriot in Orlando and mom signed him up for a camp there for part of the day. She sold him on by telling him it was just like "Cruise ship camp." He didn't want to leave there either!

Just a quick question for you. You mentioned the VIP package included Port Day extras. Does that mean that with the normal program children cant go to the Fun Factory while in port?

I am going to go to that cabin next month and see what this "double sofa bed" actually looks like, because I won't believe it till I see it!! Have never heard of such a thing.... We're going to be down the hall in 7127... I still think your TA is selling you a line on that one....

A double bed is what Americans call a "full size".

Just a quick question for you. You mentioned the VIP package included Port Day extras. Does that mean that with the normal program children cant go to the Fun Factory while in port?

Don't worry. "Normal" kids are welcome in the Fun Factory on port days. On port days. This is what the Celebrity website says:

The Children's Playroom / Fun Factory is open daily from 9:00 A.M. - 10:00 P.M. each day. Slumber Party from 10:00pm - Midnight is offered each night on a sign up basis for a fee of $6 per child, per hour. Only while the ship is docked will a nominal fee of $6.00 per hour per child, children ages 3-12 years old who wishes to participate in various sitting services offered by the X-Club Youth Program; Afternoon Party from 12:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M. and Dinner Party from 5:00pm - 7:00pm

• Afternoon Party from 12:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M. (port days only)

• Dinner Party from 5:00pm - 7:00pm (complimentary while @ sea)

• Slumber Party from 10:00 P.M. - 1:00 A.M. daily (complimentary on the last night of the cruise).

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000ioD-7osp8YtdVRED_EkpHsb:12hdebdrn?faqSubjectName=Youth+Activities%2FFamily+Activities&faqId=617&pagename=faq_answers This is worded very awkwardly, but basically the port day program is free except from noon-2:00 pm and 5:00-7:00 pm. During those hours, you are charged $6/hour. If you have the VIP package, you don't need to pay those extra charges.

A double bed is what Americans call a "full size".

Trust me... This couch/sofa bed is barely a twin in anyone's language... I was born in the UK and live in the US now and am familiar with double beds and full sizes and I can tell you this "bed" is neither. It sleeps one long, thin person and not much more!

Don't worry. "Normal" kids are welcome in the Fun Factory on port days. On port days. This is what the Celebrity website says:

The Children's Playroom / Fun Factory is open daily from 9:00 A.M. - 10:00 P.M. each day. Slumber Party from 10:00pm - Midnight is offered each night on a sign up basis for a fee of $6 per child, per hour. Only while the ship is docked will a nominal fee of $6.00 per hour per child, children ages 3-12 years old who wishes to participate in various sitting services offered by the X-Club Youth Program; Afternoon Party from 12:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M. and Dinner Party from 5:00pm - 7:00pm

• Afternoon Party from 12:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M. (port days only)

• Dinner Party from 5:00pm - 7:00pm (complimentary while @ sea)

• Slumber Party from 10:00 P.M. - 1:00 A.M. daily (complimentary on the last night of the cruise).

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000ioD-7osp8YtdVRED_EkpHsb:12hdebdrn?faqSubjectName=Youth+Activities%2FFamily+Activities&faqId=617&pagename=faq_answers This is worded very awkwardly, but basically the port day program is free except from noon-2:00 pm and 5:00-7:00 pm. During those hours, you are charged $6/hour. If you have the VIP package, you don't need to pay those extra charges.

I agree with Jungle Jane as often as she agrees with me :D...

The kids club is always open and does not discriminate between kids with the VIP package and kids without.

The only thing misleading in this Celebrity blurb is that afternoon parties are only on port days, yet the kids club is open from 9AM-10PM every day.... They manage to be confusing with everything they write. The kids club IS open for 13 hours a day and there is a lunch party from 12-2 PM every day too. There is only a charge for it on port days. Seems to me they should charge for it on sea days and not port days, if they're going to charge at all, but that's another topic altogether. Kids cannot spend more than 6 hours at a time in the Fun Factory without leaving for an hour.

Can you please tell more about the lunch party on sea days. Is it popular? Where/ what do the kids eat? Sounds like the way my husband and I could have lunch at least once in the Spa Cafe while on Solstice!

Can you please tell more about the lunch party on sea days. Is it popular? Where/ what do the kids eat? Sounds like the way my husband and I could have lunch at least once in the Spa Cafe while on Solstice!

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing with the Bistro on five in mind. It seems funny to me that the lunch party is included on sea days rather than port days but that suits us as we will explore ports as a family. Do the kids go to the buffet for the party or the Grill?

Also, the children had computer chip bracelets on Indy whenever they were in club which was a good idea (especially when they went to the buffet together for a drink in the afternoon) Does Celebrity have a similar system?

Just wondering if anyone is back from Celebrity from a recent cruise and has any comments positive or negative about the kids club (particularly for age 6 and 9) We will be sailing on the Eclipse.

Many thanks in advance

Hello Jo and Rob,

We were on the Celebruty Equinox during a Caribbean/Panama/South American crusie last January 2010. My son (3 years old) would actually cry of we did not take him back to play at the Fun Factory. We got to use this as a barganaining tool to get him to behave during dinner and other events. We found that the area was open most of hte day when it was necessary and did not have very limited staffing times.

In my opinion, only people who have not been on Celebrity ships lately would think it is still a cruiseline for old people. They heavily recruit families, and newer ships have built facilities to include the little ones. The staff in the Fun Factory were not only babysitters; they actually taught the kids educational and fun actitivites.

In addition, children could attend events that adults could not do, such as back-stage tours of the man theater, bridge visits with the captain, pizza nights where they made their own pizza with one of the chefs, a special show on the blown-glass demostration, a children's talent show in one of the theaters, etc). Some adults are encouraged to attend these events to help as an extra pair of eyes and hands, which means you do not have to pay to attend these "extras" charged as the VIP groups.

I would not hesitate at all to recommend the Children's facilities and activities on the Celebrity ships, especially to the parents of younger children. In my opinion, they are far superior than the options on Carnival and Norwegian (the only othe cruise lines I know). Teenagers on the other hand would enjoy Royal Caribbean a bit more.

I hope this helps. Oh! Since the staff at the Fun Factory are NOT included on the gratuities pool, we decided to tip them separately, especially 2 girls that my son grew especially attached to.

Archived