Bar Grill - comments please

Jo and Rob

Does this have a cover charge?

Is it a restaurant or an open air barbecue?

If the latter where is it on the ship? Near the pool?

What food is served there?

What are the opening hours and is it open on embarkation day?

Thank you in advance

If you are referring to the outside Grill, it is the Mast Grill on the Lido Deck above the Pool, Starboad side. Great place.

Forget the hrs and I don't think it was open on embarkation - not sure. Free. Hamburgers, hotdogs, tacos, lots of things. I ordered a hotdog and a beer. Sat down to save a table for our group and the waiter brought me my beer, asked me what I wanted on my hotdog, got it, dressed it up and added a few sides. Very nice. That is why I always have the cash on hand to 'thank' them for special service.

Forget the Hrs and I don't believe it is open on embarkation. The Buffet is, and so is the Bistro on 5 which serves crepes, salads and panninis. Open 20hrs a day - great place and costs $5pp.

Enjoy!

Denny

If you are referring to the outside Grill, it is the Mast Grill on the Lido Deck above the Pool, Starboad side. Great place.

Forget the hrs and I don't think it was open on embarkation - not sure. Free. Hamburgers, hotdogs, tacos, lots of things. I ordered a hotdog and a beer. Sat down to save a table for our group and the waiter brought me my beer, asked me what I wanted on my hotdog, got it, dressed it up and added a few sides. Very nice. That is why I always have the cash on hand to 'thank' them for special service.

Forget the Hrs and I don't believe it is open on embarkation. The Buffet is, and so is the Bistro on 5 which serves crepes, salads and panninis. Open 20hrs a day - great place and costs $5pp.

Enjoy!

Denny

Thanks Denny. Is the MDR open on embarkation day? I'm looking for something that is complimentary but not as hectic as the buffet. Maybe the buffet is not hectic? The Windjammer on Indy this month was a nightmare this month, on Princess we were able to eat in the MDR on embarkation day (despite being told to go to the buffet!) and that was bliss.

One error, the Grill is on the Port side.

The MDR is not open on embarkation. So I think the only option you have for free dining is the Buffet and it can be a bit 'hectic'. We plan to use the Bistro. But someone may chime in with other options: the only other free options are the Girll and the Aqua Spa cafe whcih is light dining for breakfast and lunch. It is forward near the spa area in the inside pool area. I don't think its open on embarkation eithre. That is why I think the Buffet is hectic - only free option and most of us at hitting it at the same time.

I know you are looking for a free venue, but if you don't want the buffet, try the Bistro. The Buffet is outstanding - has stations and more open so its not a bad as one the classic cafeteria style setup and has a lot of options. We loved it - but busy on embarkation!

Denny

Enjoy!

Denny

Wondering if the Mast Grill serves chicken burgers?? I dont eat hot dogs or beef burgers and on HAL they cooked up the most delicious freshly grilled chicken breast burgers. They were a great alternative.

Very good and usually cooked to order...about 15 minute wait. Onion rings were also very good.

Agree - forgot about the onion rings - great. Not geasy (well, not for rings!), and good whole onions - not those grated ones that many serve. Loved them!

Denny

Thanks Denny. Is the MDR open on embarkation day? I'm looking for something that is complimentary but not as hectic as the buffet. Maybe the buffet is not hectic? The Windjammer on Indy this month was a nightmare this month, on Princess we were able to eat in the MDR on embarkation day (despite being told to go to the buffet!) and that was bliss.

Bistro on 5 is the place. Quiet, no crowds, great food and wonderful service. All for $5 PP!!!

Agree - forgot about the onion rings - great. Not geasy (well, not for rings!), and good whole onions - not those grated ones that many serve. Loved them!

Denny

Usually I don't eat onion rings and fries....at least not often, at home. However both are really good on X. You'll see many people with a dinner size plate piled with both heading to the pool or buffet area to enjoy. Their popularity grows as the ship moves along.:)

For your planning purposes, I believe Mast Grill shuts down at 6pm, at least they did during the cruise, not sure if they did anything different on embarkation day.

I second (or third or fourth) it on the quality of food, though I could never get a brat cooked through, for some reason. Next time, I plan on bringing along my tailgate supplies to show them how it's done. Think I'll have a problem bringing my Weber grill, charcoal and lighter fluid on board?:rolleyes::p:D

At least the brats were real brats, not the overgrown hot dogs I was served on Princess.:mad:

Is BLU open for embarkation?

Hi Mike,:) I know during the cruise BLU is not opened for lunch at all.

Breakfast and Dinner only. I don't believe they offer lunch for sailday

either.

There is a grill but it is not a bar. There are bars but they don't have grills. There is no "bar grill" on the ship.

Wondering if the Mast Grill serves chicken burgers??...

yes they do but usually cooked on request so there might be a wait. Regular burgers are usually cooked as they go so no wait.

,,Is the MDR open on embarkation day? I'm looking for something that is complimentary but not as hectic as the buffet....

The MDR is open for dinner but not for lunch on Embarkation day. It is only open for lunch on sea days during the cruise.

Forget the hrs and I don't think it was open on embarkation - not sure.

Not sure what ships we are discussing but the Pool Grill IS open [and early] on embarkation day. We always head there as soon as we are on board, use it as our base to do all the embarkation tasks, have lunch and stay until the rooms are open.

Sue

Not sure what ships we are discussing but the Pool Grill IS open [and early] on embarkation day. We always head there as soon as we are on board, use it as our base to do all the embarkation tasks, have lunch and stay until the rooms are open.

Sue

Great! We now have a plan B if the buffet is really hectic. What time does the buffet open on embarkation day? If we can be the first to board maybe it will be quiet?

Great! We now have a plan B if the buffet is really hectic. What time does the buffet open on embarkation day? If we can be the first to board maybe it will be quiet?

The daily program from our last S class cruise (Equinox from Rome) showed all lunch areas, except for the main dining room were open at 11:30 including the Mast Grill. Bistro on Five was open at 11AM. Bottom line is that all these places should be open when you board the ship or very soon afterwards if boarding starts early.

Hi Jo and Rob, I keep answering these assuming its for the Eclipse sailing out of Southampton in your signature :) We sailed on her in May and were one of the first groups on the ship at 11.30am, the buffet was open at that time, we didn't eat early but did pass through on our exploration and there were plenty of empty tables then. Love the area you can sit outside at the back of the ship watching the masses arrive for embarkation :)

We think around 1pm maybe a good time to go when there seemed to be a rush to dump the carry-on in the opened up cabins, we went up there soon after and found a table no problem. :)

For your planning purposes, I believe Mast Grill shuts down at 6pm, at least they did during the cruise, not sure if they did anything different on embarkation day.

I second (or third or fourth) it on the quality of food, though I could never get a brat cooked through, for some reason. Next time, I plan on bringing along my tailgate supplies to show them how it's done. Think I'll have a problem bringing my Weber grill, charcoal and lighter fluid on board?:rolleyes::p:D

At least the brats were real brats, not the overgrown hot dogs I was served on Princess.:mad:

HA! Being a Wisconsinite too, no way can anyone do brats the way we do! We'll be on a river cruise thru many German towns in Sept. and I can't WAIT to see how they are prepared in the "mother country". :D

My Dh is drooling already.;)

The daily program from our last S class cruise (Equinox from Rome) showed all lunch areas, except for the main dining room were open at 11:30 including the Mast Grill. Bistro on Five was open at 11AM. Bottom line is that all these places should be open when you board the ship or very soon afterwards if boarding starts early.

Great, if that is the case it should help the potential bottle neck in the buffet. So good to see we have choices straight away, let's face it, as soon as we are on board we are on holiday!

yes Moogiechompy we will be sailing from Southampton but it is not until July 2011!! I can't wait, much to Rob's amusement as he says I should be researching our summer holiday in Majorca rather our cruise for next year! The more I read about Celebrity the happier I am, it sounds perfect.

One error, the Grill is on the Port side.

The MDR is not open on embarkation. So I think the only option you have for free dining is the Buffet and it can be a bit 'hectic'. We plan to use the Bistro. But someone may chime in with other options: the only other free options are the Girll and the Aqua Spa cafe whcih is light dining for breakfast and lunch. It is forward near the spa area in the inside pool area. I don't think its open on embarkation eithre. That is why I think the Buffet is hectic - only free option and most of us at hitting it at the same time.

I know you are looking for a free venue, but if you don't want the buffet, try the Bistro. The Buffet is outstanding - has stations and more open so its not a bad as one the classic cafeteria style setup and has a lot of options. We loved it - but busy on embarkation!

Denny

The Aqua Spa Cafe was open on embarkation day on the Solstice last August. We kind of stumbled upon and had a nice, light lunch

And the chicken wings! Don't forget the chicken wings!

At the Mast Grill - that can get crowded too.

Some people say the buffet is too crowded but that can be the fun of it - go around and look at everything - then pile up your plates! You may have to share a table with other cruisers - but we met so many people from all over the world that way.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are hanging out by the pools, what are the best places to get drinks such as juices and iced tea which are included if you planned on getting food from the grill? Do they have a station right there or do you need to go to oceanview cafe?

Also, could you get sodas/wine/beer by the mast grill?

Lastly, is there waiter service by the pools or solstice deck for drinks (sodas/mixed drinks)?

Thanks!

Archived