? about renting a jeep to go to Merida

Izzy Bee

I haven't seen any posts regarding the possiblity of renting a Jeep for the day and driving to Merida. Would the Jeep be safe while we were walking/sightseeing?

I don't want to ride the bus. Auto Progresso Tours seems to be a option for us but wanted opionions on renting a Jeep for the day.

We rented a Jeep last time we were in Progresso and went to the ruins but ran out of time and this time we want to see Merida...

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I understand the reasoning for a Jeep rental. Unlike visiting ruins or other sites where roads may not be maintained well, Mérida is a city where the streets (and the roads connecting it with Progreso) are paved. n addition, many of the places to be visited there are best viewed on foot, not from a motor vehicle, and thus you'll likely have to park said vehicle. To avoid damage to your vehicle you would likely want to park it is a paid lot or otherwise pay someone to watch over the vehicle. Otherwise the delays you'll encounter when trying to return a damaged vehicle will consume too much of your very limited time in Progreso. The bus fare on Autoprogreso between Progreso and Mérida is $22.00 M.N. ($1.75 U.S.) per person round-trip. The bus station in Progreso is but a few steps from where the shuttle service from the pier discharges, and the bus station in Mérida is just a few steps from the zócalo. With the inexpensive bus fares and the inconvenience of having to park a rental vehicle in Mérida, it is difficult to imagine the benefit of renting in this situation.

Thanks GTJ!

Actually, we rented a Jeep last time in Progresso and enjoyed touring Progresso on our own after touring the ruins. We also found the highway between Progresso and Merida well marked and well paved but just wasn't sure about driving to Merida and leaving the Jeep to sight see...You brought up some well thought out points about security and possibitly of damage that that lead me to decide to go the Auto Progresso route.

As far as reasoning for renting the Jeep...um, nothing besides the wind in my hair!

I sense in your answer that you like the freedom of seeing things on your own without being herded by others. For that reason, should you elect to go Autoprogreso be sure to just get the regular bus at the Progreso bus station for the low fare. The company will also be selling their tours to Mérida, both at a much higher cost and with the herding.

I have driven in Merida several times and it can be a little nerve racking until you get used to it. Parking can also be an issue at times. I normally use the busses and Colectivos to get around. Public transportation in the Yucatan is second to none. The bus from Progreso to Merida is air conditioned and comfortable. They run on a fairly set schedule back and forth from Merida and Progreso. Don’t forget to give yourself a little extra time when returning just in case the bus is delayed. For the more adventurous the Colectivos (white vans) are another very efficient, very inexpensive and safe way to travel in the Yucatan.

I drive in Merida all the time (I live here) and there's very little nerve-wracking about it, really. And I understand completely the need/desire to have your own set of wheels. Nothing beats it! I remember flying into LA and driving to Vegas in a convertible Mustang. Why? Freedom!:)

WL, I do the same when I go to Key West. I fly into Miami, rent a RED Mustang Convertable and drive down. I just really like the drive down the Keys, one of the best parts of the trip.

Hopefully if the dream comes true I will be getting a lot more practice driving in Merida/Yucatan/Mexico in a couple of years. Michael

On another thread someone mentioned that they had rented a jeep at Progresso (or possibly from Merida, I forget which) and used it to drive to Xumal rather than taking the tour bus.

Has anyone tried that, or would those of you more familiar with the area recommend it? That's a bit longer of a trip than just tooling about Cozumel.

Jeeping to Uxmal would be a helluva lot more fun than going there on a stuffy tour bus, IMHO. Just don't take anything with you that you can't carry - Jeeps aren't that great for locking up stuff; also, the time of year can make the trip very hot (now, for example). It's about 90 minutes each way, without stops.

Archived