Can some PLEASE help me figure out my iphone at sea?

jenmac711us

My husband and I are leaving our two young boys for four days while we go on the Triumph. They will be fine but I would love to be able to at least text their grandmas and see how things are going. I am good with paying 50 cents per outgoing text. I just don't want to rack up other expenses with it downloading me email and such. I also heard that if someone calls and leaves you a voicemail it will charge you. Maybe I could have my voicemail taken off the phone for the duration of the trip (is that even possible?). But I am still worried that it might push my email through.

Here is what I am thinking I might do. If I can have the voicemail taken off and I can delete my linked email accounts from the phone then it shouldn't download any data right?

Any insight would really be great. Thanks!

I don't think I can keep it in airplane mode bc then I don't think I could text but I dodn't know I could stop the data from being pushed in my settings..that is helpful...thanks.

So now the only other possible charge I could have is if someone called and left a voicemail or if I mistakenly hit an internet or email button...right?

Another possible option... If you're just wanting to be able to text in and out, buy a cheap pay-as-you-go phone. Only give the number to the people you want contacting you. I've never had one, but I imagine that would mean you can turn the iPhone off altogether.

On your iphone go into settings , General, Network and be sure Data Roaming is off.

This is exactly what I did when we went on the Valor last year. Didnt have any troubles or any additional charges. Gotta love the iPhone!!!!

Recommendations from AT&T for international travel with the Iphone: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp

You can travel the world with your iPhone

AT&T knows that the mobile Internet on your iPhone++ is indispensable to you. That's why we want to remind you that international data usage is not covered under your existing U.S. data plan. Any voice or data usage outside the domestic coverage area is considered as an International Roaming charge.

International roaming and data usage is not covered under your existing data plan.

With iPhone's many Internet-based applications, it's natural for users to use more data on their iPhone than they would using other handsets or PDA devices.

International data roaming can get expensive quickly.

For example, opening an email with a 5 megapixel picture in it, or downloading a 3-minute video on YouTube, each takes about 2 MB of data. The cost would be almost $40, based on pay-per-use international data rates of $0.0195/KB.

What can you do to minimize your international data charges?

• Turn Data Roaming "OFF": By default, the setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position.

To turn data roaming "ON/OFF", tap on Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming
    • – Turning "OFF" data roaming blocks email, browsing, visual voicemail and downloads, but it will not block text or picture/video messages.
    • – When abroad, international roaming rates apply when you send text or picture/video messages.
    • – To access audible voicemail when data roaming is “OFF”, tap on Phone>Voicemail. International roaming voice rates apply.

[*]Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the Web or check email.

[*]Turn Fetch New Data “OFF”: Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

To turn off the Auto-Check functionality tap on Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to “OFF” and select option Fetch Manually

[*]Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: If you are traveling outside the U.S., purchasing a Data Global Plan will significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad.

To add an international data package call 1-800-331-0500.

• $24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within more than 90 countries

Recommendations from AT&T for international travel with the Iphone: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp

AT&T knows that the mobile Internet on your iPhone++ is indispensable to you. That's why we want to remind you that international data usage is not covered under your existing U.S. data plan. Any voice or data usage outside the domestic coverage area is considered as an International Roaming charge.

International roaming and data usage is not covered under your existing data plan.

With iPhone's many Internet-based applications, it's natural for users to use more data on their iPhone than they would using other handsets or PDA devices.

For example, opening an email with a 5 megapixel picture in it, or downloading a 3-minute video on YouTube, each takes about 2 MB of data. The cost would be almost $40, based on pay-per-use international data rates of $0.0195/KB.

• Turn Data Roaming "OFF": By default, the setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position.

• – Turning "OFF" data roaming blocks email, browsing, visual voicemail and downloads, but it will not block text or picture/video messages.
    • – When abroad, international roaming rates apply when you send text or picture/video messages.
    • – To access audible voicemail when data roaming is “OFF”, tap on Phone>Voicemail. International roaming voice rates apply.

[*]Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the Web or check email.

[*]Turn Fetch New Data “OFF”: Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

To turn off the Auto-Check functionality tap on Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to “OFF” and select option Fetch Manually

[*]Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: If you are traveling outside the U.S., purchasing a Data Global Plan will significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad.

• $24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within more than 90 countries

Thank you! This is very helpful! I just printed it out to take with me.

Ashley :)

I am new to smartphones...and just got one and have a cruise coming up too. I have been researching this too. This is pretty much what i had come up with too...no auto synch on anything, data roaming off, and i think i will get a 60 min wifi package for our room for the week for about $25 i think. So then you can call on Skype (or Fring in the case of Wifi) if you want.

I am new to smartphones...and just got one and have a cruise coming up too. I have been researching this too. This is pretty much what i had come up with too...no auto synch on anything, data roaming off, and i think i will get a 60 min wifi package for our room for the week for about $25 i think. So then you can call on Skype (or Fring in the case of Wifi) if you want.

I have Skype and use it overseas (Italy and Mexico). However I have never used it on board a cruise ship. Several have reported here that it is blocked on board Carnival ships. It uses a very large amount of bandwidth. Out of the country I use WiFi with the Iphone when ever I can find a free hot spot.

FYI, there's no need to turn off "Fetch New Data" as long as you have data roaming turned off.

If you absolutely want to send text ... and pay a little less for international calls....

Check the international packages that ATT offers. The World Traveller package is like 5.99 for the month and it will decrease your per minute charges by about 1/2 what they would be.... Also... you can by international text ... which I think covers about 50 text messages... (that's a bit more expensive though).

Either option would surely pay for itself very quickly. Download the AT&T app... and you can add the package in a few clicks... or call... your preference...

By default the iPhone comes with International data roaming turned off.

No Skype on Carnival. They block it.

Good stuff, I just picked up an iphone, still trying figure out how to use it. One question, I have the $6.99/mth GPS package. Will this work with the above turned off?

Thanks,

Kirk

Here's the info, my PVP emailed me...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cellular Phone Service

Keeping You Connected at Sea

Carnival Cruise Lines, through agreement with Wireless Maritime Services, proudly offers an advanced roaming network on board Carnival Cruise Lines ships, allowing you to make and receive calls while at sea using your own mobile phone and telephone number.

International roaming charges will be conveniently billed to you by your home mobile carrier. Mobile phone service will be available for use while the ship is at sea.

Service Requirements

The mobile networks on your ship are accessible by most mobile phones. The WMS mobile network – www.cellularatsea.com – is accessible by most mobile phones supporting both GSM and CDMA technologies. CDMA users should ensure their phone is set to allow roaming.

You must have service with one of the more than 340 carriers worldwide that have a roaming agreement with Wireless Maritime Services. Not all prepaid phones are currently supported.

When the ship is sailing out of range of band-based mobile phone networks, mobile phone service will still be available. When the ship is in port, you can connect to local roaming networks as permitted by your home mobile carrier.

GPRS Data Service

If your home carrier supports GPRS data service, you can use mobile phone service with compatible GPRS data capable devices to check email, surf the web and share photos while traveling just as you would at home. Charges will be conveniently billed to you by your home mobile carrier.

Checking Voicemail

Most users will be able to check their messages by pressing and holding the “1” key. Please note that some home mobile carriers charge for messages deposited to and retrieved from voicemail while a customer is roaming. Please contact your home carrier customer service with any questions about your voicemail.

Text Messaging

If your home mobile carrier supports GSM, text messaging service is available on compatible GSM devices. Address your text message to your North American number with “1”, the area code and number.

As a courtesy to other guests, please set your ringer to vibrate and avoid loud conversations while in public areas.

Charges, Billing and Customer Service

Rates for usage of your cellular phone are determined by your home mobile carrier. Please note that calls to 800, 888, 866 and 877 numbers are not toll free. You will be billed by your home mobile carrier for your international roaming usage on your regular mobile phone bill. It can take up to 60 days for charges acquired while using your cellular phone at these times to appear on your phone bill. For more information, please contact your home mobile carrier customer service.

Questions?

Please note that the Carnival Cruise Lines staff does not have access to your service information or billing records. Actual service availability depends on home mobile carrier participation and service permissions. For questions about your service or about billing, please contact your home mobile carrier customer service.

Explanation of Rates and Charges

Mobile phone service is provided by Wireless Maritime Services.

Requires compatible wireless phone and qualified wireless service with a home mobile carrier provider that has a roaming agreement with Wireless Maritime Services. Your home network will determine the international roaming rates you pay for usage.

Wireless Maritime Services provides CDMA, GSM voice and GPRS data service. Other service features may not be available. Voice usage is measured during the time you are connected to your system which is approximately from the time you press the button that initiates or answers the call until approximately the time the first party terminates the call. Voice usage for each call is billed in full minute increments with partial minutes rounded up to the next full minute. Data usage for each billing record will be rounded up to the next kilobyte and a cost will be associated with each billing record and rounded to the nearest cent.

Availability, timeliness and reliability of service are subject to radio transmission limitations, caused by system capacity, system repairs and modifications, your equipment, signal strength, weather and other conditions. You will only be able to call and text message to certain countries. Other restrictions and limitations apply for service.

Wireless Maritime Services and your home mobile carrier are not affiliates of Carnival Cruise Lines and are solely responsible for the services, charges and customer service support provided to you.

At least you can read what CARNIVAL's info is...

But calling your provider will be the best answer!!!!

Again... according to recent accounts from recent cruisers.... Skype is no longer blocked from what they say.

And as far as Lambknuckles post... YES, you can use your phone on board. But... the information that is provided about ship board service is 100% accurate... but not accurate to the iPhone. If you turn off International data roaming... you're in for a HUGE bill.

And as far as Lambknuckles post... YES, you can use your phone on board. But... the information that is provided about ship board service is 100% accurate... but not accurate to the iPhone. If you turn off International data roaming... you're in for a HUGE bill.

Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way. I turned off the international data roaming and hooked up to the wi-fi on the ship after buying an internet package. I still got charged the roaming rates on top of the ship charges.

Ok so now Im confused. If I turn off the international data and dont get on my internet at all...I'm good? All I want to do is text back home to our children.

You will be fine to text on your iPhone with data turned off. Data works on the GPRS/Edge/HSPA networks (on AT&T) while text messaging works on GSM (which would only be shut off if you were on AirPlane mode)

While i was on the Spirit last year i turned off my data for roaming while on the ship and was able to receive texts from home no problem

As others have suggested i would also recommend talking to your provider and getting a package. I did and was not sorry!

Ok so now Im confused. If I turn off the international data and dont get on my internet at all...I'm good? All I want to do is text back home to our children.

you can enable the international data option with your carrier (assumed ATT since it's an iphone), if you think you MAY want to use it.

however, you can turn off data roaming on YOUR PHONE. someone earlier posted how to do that on an iphone. i have a blackberry, and i turn off data via 'manage connections'. you can ensure that your phone will or will not connect to data / wifi / mobile network, etc.

also, your question earlier about the voicemail being charged, etc. - that's also only if your phone is connected to the mobile network at the time...

additionally, don't buy the internet package / input the password into your phone, and you won't be logged on to the ship's wifi network.

again, just disable these options on your phone.

if you're still in doubt, i'd recommend maybe calling your carrier (assumed at&t) and have a chat with them about how to best use your phone for what you're looking to accomplish. :)

I work for AT&T, and the previous information is accurate. However, there is nothing you can do about cruise ship charges. There is no package or plan that can discount the cost of usage while on the ship - they charge what they charge and there is no way around it. However, once you are in port, you can take advantage of the international data packages for discounted data. And as a previous poster said, if you are in Puerto Rico or USVI, they are considered domestic.

If you aren't concerned with using your data services while you are gone, just turn it off in your settings and then turn it back on when you return to the homeport. You can still sms text (NOT mms or picture messaging because they require data) or place calls with the data turned off.

Archived